Marstellar

BAC

Just wanted to give a shout out to this guy.  One of the best redemption stories around.

Those of us who've been around the forums for a while will know the guy's history.  I remember him as a young phenom, wrestling in Cadets at Salulaev's weight, getting injured in the semis.  Comes back, parlays that into undefeated high school career, goes to OSU.  Gets regularly whupped by Dieringer, which necessitates a huge cut to 157.... things go haywire, off the team as he turns to drugs/alcohol, transfers, gets arrested after a bender... rock bottom.  Then surrounds himself with good people, picks himself up, gets sober, comes back to take 4th and 3rd at NCAAs at Lock Haven.  Becomes very, very open about his sobriety network as he gets his feet firmly planted, raises his kids, trains hard, starts a club, many of them in Vegas.  Made Final X last year and does it again this year, finally overcoming the Dieringer hurdle.  Very open in his interview:

Chance Marsteller Gets Final X Rematch With Jordan Burroughs (flowrestling.org)

Love JB but you won't catch me rooting against Marsteller either.  

• Fire 21

His story is amazing and second to very few.

His current style of wrestling is dogshit and watching it is comparable to listening to my Great Aunt Daloris and Uncle Herb rawdog from the hotel lobby of our family reunion three rooms down the hall.  Equal parts cringe and equal parts painful.

It is impressive that he can implement that on basically anybody in the world not named ThugMassa G.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Have to think if he went to Penn State hen would have won a NCAA title

I know this is totally trolling but I’ll bite. No way he would have done better at Penn State. At Lock Haven he got a ton of attention and mentorship from the coaching staff. Not that Penn State would’ve ignored him, but he would not be one of the guys that is their main focus. I think going to another big university would have had similar results as OSU 

17 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

And your point is?

Hint: Concentrate on just the last two letters.

No shit, Sherlock.  I was agreeing with you.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

I forgot dog piling is the norm in these parts.  Thanks for the polite reminder.

I have been spelling it wrong since he was at OSU.  Imagine how stoopid I felt. 😅

Honestly a lot of folks on here might spell it wrong because of me.

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

His current style of wrestling is dogshit

I dunno about that.  I'm partial to guys who aren't afraid to go upper body, and he has a nice hip toss and arm spin.  

• Fire 3

16 minutes ago, BAC said:

I dunno about that.  I'm partial to guys who aren't afraid to go upper body, and he has a nice hip toss and arm spin.  

You talking that cheap-ass dirty shit he tried to pull on the Goat?  Aside from that when has he hit it on world level gents?

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Have to think if he went to Penn State hen would have won a NCAA title

Jimmy...your schtick is cute when it's actually about Wrestling, but this is just you being a true asshole.

Not about Cael, not about PSU, this is about a kid overcoming addiction issues and a redemption story. For once, just try not to be a douche bag.

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You talking that cheap-ass dirty shit he tried to pull on the Goat?  Aside from that when has he hit it on world level gents?

I don’t remember the move you are talking about. What comes immediately to mind is his hip toss on Cenzo last year — a move he never forces but rarely misses when he senses it’s there. Hit his arm spin a couple times too at the Open too. It’s nice technique. Clean. 

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...