2023 Transfer Portal

Just now, RandolphTJones said:

Facundo could still start next season, mediocre example, so 1 time a guy recruited over which isn't common. Iowa and Michigan repeat offenders. Many of the guys transferring are 1 year rentals. Coaches aren't doing much recruiting here, the money is. Lamer didn't want to be part of a 5th place team this year, best of luck to him, hope other Michigan guys follow suit, already 2 in the last 3 days. 

Seems like you're discussing more schools than the actual conversation of the transfer portal and the reality of what comes with the territory. I am sure that Baylor Shrunk at 133 for PSU wanted to start for them next year as he has been there for 3 years doing the same work as the starters but PSU brought in a TRANSFER who will make an impact in their lineup for them to have a better team. Every team will and should be getting the best guys for their team, I don't understand the hate. Where was Mitchel Mesenbrink's loyalty to Cal Baptist? He was there for a semester, no coaches change. This is the way NCAA athletics are happening and it seems you are more of a hater of the situation dependent on the school.

6 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

This actually in a weird way seems like the proper way to go about recruiting from the transfer portal. Michigan communicated to Lamar about the possibility of VV coming in and explored options on where he would fit best for the team. Its a tricky situation but feels like the best way to approach it, this also gives Lamar plenty of time in advance instead of getting blind-sided by VV commitment.

Well also this is from the same guy that told me when he was on redshirt that he wouldn't ever see 141 again and that he might be in the works to replace Lamer at 157 when he is gone.  So there might be something to that, too.

I can reach out.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

Well also this is from the same guy that told me when he was on redshirt that he wouldn't ever see 141 again and that he might be in the works to replace Lamer at 157 when he is gone.  So there might be something to that, too.

I can reach out.

I was more going on the topic of how to approach the transfer portal to current athletes on your roster so no one feels blindsided. I think it is an interesting topic of how to keep guys who are valuable to your team while taking advantage of the transfer portal, seems like it is tricky waters and maybe a skill these coaches are going to have to develop. 

Just now, JVStateChamp said:

I was more going on the topic of how to approach the transfer portal to current athletes on your roster so no one feels blindsided. I think it is an interesting topic of how to keep guys who are valuable to your team while taking advantage of the transfer portal, seems like it is tricky waters and maybe a skill these coaches are going to have to develop. 

To your point it also provides a level of humanity to the process, as far as Michigan goes.  They aren't just blindly trying to grab every talent up with the money bag tossing...

I imagine that is case by case.  Lamer likely is(was) much more important to their future plans than Maylor is(was) - when comparing VV/Cannon to Griffith.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I can reach out.

Please do

30 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That hurts.  A lot.

I hope he goes to Cal Poly, personally.  Add Rowley with him it is an absolute win there.

Just because you are hurting doesn't mean you have to hurt me. 

• Stalling 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Just now, Idaho said:

Just because you are hurting doesn't mean you have to hurt me. 

The only politically correct method is to kill the messenger.

For that I do not apologize.

You hurt me bad.

17 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

Seems like you're discussing more schools than the actual conversation of the transfer portal and the reality of what comes with the territory. I am sure that Baylor Shrunk at 133 for PSU wanted to start for them next year as he has been there for 3 years doing the same work as the starters but PSU brought in a TRANSFER who will make an impact in their lineup for them to have a better team. Every team will and should be getting the best guys for their team, I don't understand the hate. Where was Mitchel Mesenbrink's loyalty to Cal Baptist? He was there for a semester, no coaches change. This is the way NCAA athletics are happening and it seems you are more of a hater of the situation dependent on the school.

Shrunk never should have committed to PSU if he was looking to start somewhere multiple years.

I agree about Mes, and maybe this is me being a hater like you say- These guys are going to have 1 good year at a mid-tier school then look for a pay day. Writing is on the wall. Don'r care about these kids making money, but I feel for these school who can get by with 1-2 slid wrestlers and then they plummet due to those guys leaving. Good conversation though. We will see how it all plays out. I'm gonna go back to disagreeing with Jimmy Cin. 

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Re:  Griffith, CP said on FRL that he was told Kennedy would drop to 157 if Griffith signed on.  Truthfully, if Kennedy can healthily make that weight, he should go their anyway, it's a better weight for him.

I was considering that myself. Kennedy isn't exactly a shredded 165

1 hour ago, JVStateChamp said:

Huh?  Messenbrink signed in November '21 when Zalesky was the coach.  Zalesky retired in April '22.  Moore was named head coach in July '22.  MM signed under Zalesky, came in when Moore was the head, didn't like how things were going, knew he was a hot commodity, and left.

When all this was going on, I wondered if it would effect MM's commitment.  Eventually it did.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Huh?  Messenbrink signed in November '21 when Zalesky was the coach.  Zalesky retired in April '22.  Moore was named head coach in July '22.  MM signed under Zalesky, came in when Moore was the head, didn't like how things were going, knew he was a hot commodity, and left.

When all this was going on, I wondered if it would effect MM's commitment.  Eventually it did.

You're right I stand corrected. For what it is worth it was never a shot at MM, more just the fact that there are plenty of schools that are using the transfer portal as they should be, the flexibility for athletes to enter the transfer portal also comes with the risk that someone could be brought in at their weight class. If said coach brings in a transfer from the portal it should not be a hit at the coach's loyalty, their job is to put out the best team and win matches. But thank you for the correction.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

You're right I stand corrected. For what it is worth it was never a shot at MM, more just the fact that there are plenty of schools that are using the transfer portal as they should be, the flexibility for athletes to enter the transfer portal also comes with the risk that someone could be brought in at their weight class. If said coach brings in a transfer from the portal it should not be a hit at the coach's loyalty, their job is to put out the best team and win matches. But thank you for the correction.

No problem.  Also, when Messenbrink signed, he was not highly recruited.  He had underperformed at Super 32 and possible at some other tournaments.  Some adjustments were made, and he went on a tear.  Maybe he stays at Cal-Baptist if Zalesky stayed, but maybe not.  He had become a different wrestler, transferring is easy now, and he knew his value.

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No problem.  Also, when Messenbrink signed, he was not highly recruited.  He had underperformed at Super 32 and possible at some other tournaments.  Some adjustments were made, and he went on a tear.  Maybe he stays at Cal-Baptist if Zalesky stayed, but maybe not.  He had become a different wrestler, transferring is easy now, and he knew his value.

No disagreement there, I will be the first to admit that I was late on the Messenbrink train. I like to think that I follow high school wrestling well but I definitely was late on watching him. He's very impressive and I think would be successful wherever he went. 

I have been arguing for athlete freedom to leave a university or situation that did not feel was the right fit as we all make decisions at 18 years old that we wish we could change. But with the freedom of athletes going into the transfer portal, there is also a consequence because unless you are an AA (which sometimes still is not enough) your spot is never safe. 

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Griffith to Michigan.  @nhs67 is partying HARD next year as they're in prime position to finish second again.

I am still a bit upset about (potentially) losing Griffith... by proxy most likely Rowley as well.

I believe Feldkamp is heading to OSU, too, so we still need a 197lber (unless Woodley can get another year going... even then?)...

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Looking at it, it'll probably be Gilcher as a True Frosh at 149 for Michigan unless they pull VV.

What's the situation with 65 & 74?  Earlier it was Griffith to 74 wherever he goes but then I heard Amine is going 74

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

What's the situation with 65 & 74?  Earlier it was Griffith to 74 wherever he goes but then I heard Amine is going 74

I think frame-wise, Griffith to 174 makes more sense.  I think peak potential from both are about the same at either weight class.

What I mean by that is I do think Griffith could win at either weight, but could drop some matches that he shouldn't.  At NCAAs I think Amine's peak is top of the mountain of the 2nd tier.  I don't see him beating any of the 1st tier gents (O'Toole, Carr, Starocci).

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I can reach out.

Just doesn’t seem in their best interest to pursue Voinovich at risk of losing Lamer. He seems like a straight up better option at 149 next year and for the future. Seems pretty unsustainable for Michigan to throw around all this cash every offseason. Next year they will lose DeAug, Lewan, Amine, Griffith, and Davison to graduation. Now add the loss of Lamer and Cannon/Ragu are really their only proven guys in the projected 24-25 lineup right now.