Can someone tell Vito to get into the weight room?

Theo Brixton

He has no business going 57 kg internationally with same-day weigh-ins. I don't care if his buddy is competing for the same spot- Vito with an extra 10 pounds of muscle would be a force of nature. He can wrestle 141 next year and contend for the 65 kg spot in the Spring. 

• Fire 1

He'll do fine at 57. It was not that long ago he was making close to it with 1 hour to mat. You can bet he is already world class strong. Those genes are there.

If the IOC allows 10 weights again, I could see him fitting well in between existing weights.

16 minutes ago, scribers said:

He'll do fine at 57. It was not that long ago he was making close to it with 1 hour to mat. You can bet he is already world class strong. Those genes are there.

If the IOC allows 10 weights again, I could see him fitting well in between existing weights.

Yeah...and I won't be giving advice to a guy coming off a tourney in which he dominated RBY and Fix, BUT I can see the logic in going up rather than down. I think 57 is an "easier" weight...in so much as you can get easier at that level. But if Vito just really focused on remaking his body like...say Taylor did, it could certainly work.

Aside from just not hating the sport, he does look like he could be a huge 65. And if he wrestles like he did last night, no '41 is gonna beat him next year at the NCAAs either. 

Edited by scourge165

12 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

How many years of eligibility does Vito have left?  Was this only his second NCAA tournament?

One more more year. 4th in 2019, ORS in 2020, no Ivy season in 2021, 3rd in 2022, 1st in 2023. 

• Fire 4

Whoever it was here that described Vito as a viper yesterday was spot on. It gave me anxiety watching him slither and glide around the mat before a deadly lighting quick strike! I thought I read that he does a lot of lifting, maybe it's just genetics and doesn't show?

5 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Whoever it was here that described Vito as a viper yesterday was spot on. It gave me anxiety watching him slither and glide around the mat before a deadly lighting quick strike! I thought I read that he does a lot of lifting, maybe it's just genetics and doesn't show?

I said that after the match, not before. I didn't realize just how quick he was before then. I knew he was great, but I thought he was more Yianni-like great. 

It also definitely shows he lifts. He looks strong. It's obviously difference if you're taller and more lanky, but if you're cutting weight, it's generally tougher to add muscle. 

• Fire 1

I was saying that Vito needed to lift during the regular season but someone sent a video of Vito picking up and dropping Mendez in the tOSU fakedual, and an interview of Vito talking about his training. I'm sure he's fine. 

Top of my "guys who need to lift" list last year was Hamiti and O'Toole. This year off the top of my head, maybe Haines, Siebrecht, and Ayala.

I wonder how much Yianni at 65kg is a factor. Those two have been wrestling each other for years so Vito should have a good feel for his chances. Although I agree it would be a different situation if he could add a few pounds of muscle and maintain his speed. 

Edited by Red95

1 minute ago, D3 for LU said:

Vito does have his Father's smile.

D3

that whole interaction makes me smile...

not as big a smile as either of them have...

my best is closer to a smirk...

but...

i am super glad i got the step ladder set up to climb off my greco pedestal and actually watched most of this tourney... i have been around most of these kids for so many years...

it was a great tourney and that father son moment above was a highlight for me...

• Fire 4

37 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I was saying that Vito needed to lift during the regular season but someone sent a video of Vito picking up and dropping Mendez in the tOSU fakedual, and an interview of Vito talking about his training. I'm sure he's fine. 

Top of my "guys who need to lift" list last year was Hamiti and O'Toole. This year off the top of my head, maybe Haines, Siebrecht, and Ayala.

Hamiti is OBVIOUS. I think he should RS and just move up to 174. Grow into the weight.

He can't beat the Marinelli, Amine types because he's just overpowered.

Give him a year off, build him up to a big '74 pounder. At that point, Star may be gone, Lewis definitely will be. But I think he's about maxed out at 165. 

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

that whole interaction makes me smile...

not as big a smile as either of them have...

my best is closer to a smirk...

but...

i am super glad i got the step ladder set up to climb off my greco pedestal and actually watched most of this tourney... i have been around most of these kids for so many years...

it was a great tourney and that father son moment above was a highlight for me...

Agree.

D3

44 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

He'll be pushing 25 next year, if not already turned 25.

Pretty sure he was 17 graduating HS. I think he's still just 23. Which, a year from now 24 and I guess...that would be "pushing" 25. 

But he's younger than most who are 6 years out of HS.

7 hours ago, BaldAt23 said:

The guy isn’t saying that Vito isn’t strong. He’s saying he should focus on adding muscle so he can go up to 65 kg instead of starving himself down to 57 kg. 

Yes. He went one and done at U23 57 kg last year which I presume was in part due to the cut. If he is going to be competitive internationally at 57 kg, he'll have to manage his weight perfectly and even that might not be enough. I think he would find more success internationally at 65 in the long term.