Does anyone else get the feeling that Spencer Lee is going to be in the fight of his life come Saturday night?

Theo Brixton

I think full-feed Glory is going to be a handful come Saturday night. This is his vision quest and I get Sebastian Rivera vibes from him. His previous matches with Lee were more competitive than what the scoreboard indicated and I am guessing he has been game planning since the last match. I hope Lee wins in dominant fashion as I think Glory's gaming of the weight management rules is pretty lame. Let's see.

3 minutes ago, Theo Brixton said:

I think full-feed Glory is going to be a handful come Saturday night. This is his vision quest and I get Sebastian Rivera vibes from him. His previous matches with Lee were more competitive than what the scoreboard indicated and I am guessing he has been game planning since the last match. I hope Lee wins in dominant fashion as I think Glory's gaming of the weight management rules is pretty lame. Let's see.

There's a chance it could be close. Glory has the tools to make it to the third. 

I don't buy the "game planning" angle, though. I don't think you can gameplan for someone like Spencer Lee. 

Cronin doesnt seem to be getting the respect he deserves.

3 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

I do think it's possible.  Spencer Lee had a few matches later in the year where he was, or could have been,  in trouble but he simply overpowered his opponent from a 50/50, or so, position.  I know that's what he's done for his entire HS and college career.  I guess I'm simply saying there's a limit to the size opponent he can do that to.  If Glory's that big, who knows?  If it happens,  I'm rooting for Lee, though. 

Yes...if he makes it there, absolutely. ALL DAY to get recover from his final weight cut? Spencer having been a bit gassed a few times this year(the few times he's gone a full match). 

IF Glory can weather the storm the first period while pushing Lee without putting himself in danger, then I think he COULD have a real chance in the 3rd period to wear him down and pull off an upset. 

How is Glory gaming the weight management rules?
Everything else stated in your OP is reason to look forward to an entertaining final on Saturday night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glory's not gaming anything. I don't think he will beat Spencer, but his size might help.

On the flip side, he has to make weight three times and managing his weight for a few days straight isn't simple and could work against him. It works both ways - especially at 125 where you wrestle first without much recovery time.

If they meet, I think Spencer gets bonus and rides off into the sunset as a four-time champion.

18 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

How is Glory gaming the weight management rules?
Everything else stated in your OP is reason to look forward to an entertaining final on Saturday night.

He wrestled a number of his matches at 133 this year, presumably because of the difficulty of the cut. If he wrestled 133 simply to get better competition, then he would not have gone down to 125 in the one instance where he could have faced stiff competition (Arujua). I feel Glory is someone whose performance will be significantly impacted by his opportunity to recover, more so than most other wrestlers due to his size. Both times Lee face Glory, there wasn't ten hours of recovery. And even in those matches, Glory had Lee in some compromising positions. 

If Spencer Lee never had a serious injury, this would be a moot point but that isn't how things worked out for him unfortunately. 

Anyone can beat Spencer Lee. Fight of his life because Glory once but put him in "compromising positions" and couldn't capitalize? Poppycock.

The fight of Spencer Lee's life on Saturday will be in his own mind. He has already shown time and time again that he can dominate anyone. He's slated to be a historic programs first 4 timer and a 3 time Hodge winner. "Fight of his life" is an understatement, regardless his opponent.

Edited by Nailbender
Grammar

Speaking of Glory and his recovery time after his last weigh-in on Saturday...
there's another wrestler from the past who was highly noted from his recovery after Sat. weigh-ins prior to the evenings finals:
OIP.-c6imCeXSYsrwmOYbY4_UgHaEn?w=290&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7
I think you all know who he is. 
D3

I believe I read that Mean Gene was around 145 for his 118 final. Can’t remember… did they have night-before weigh-ins back then?

17 minutes ago, Packard said:

I’d give Glory a chance if DeSanto didn’t pull the upset in HS. 

Don’t think Lee is gonna fall for that twice in his career. 

He's mentioned more than once that if he wins, it will be the first time he's accomplished a goal.

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yes...if he makes it there, absolutely. ALL DAY to get recover from his final weight cut? Spencer having been a bit gassed a few times this year(the few times he's gone a full match). 

IF Glory can weather the storm the first period while pushing Lee without putting himself in danger, then I think he COULD have a real chance in the 3rd period to wear him down and pull off an upset. 

The main problem that I see with this is that Glory is also a known gasser.

He's mentioned more than once that if he wins, it will be the first time he's accomplished a goal.

A list of goals that include:
4-time state PA champ
4-time NCAA champ
3-time Olympic champ
?-time World champ (can’t remember the number for this one… 9?)

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I don't buy the "game planning" angle, though. I don't think you can gameplan for someone like Spencer Lee. 

Game plan:  run like hell from Lee for entire first period, take a couple stalling points, much better than getting taken down and tilted 3 times.

1 hour ago, MedicineMan said:

Game plan:  run like hell from Lee for entire first period, take a couple stalling points, much better than getting taken down and tilted 3 times.

But then how do you actually get Lee tired? Hope you're on top in the second and can ride him? He usually gasses himself with all the effort he put in to trying for a first period tech. If you don't engage he's not going to gas. 

Edited by Crotalus
  • Fire 1