RBY

peanut

6 hours ago, El Luchador said:

The best part of latinX is that there is already a non gender option, latin.

Dude...I am not that difficult(despite all evidence to the contrary)...I will call you want you want to be called. If Latino people ask me to call them LatinX, I'll do so. 

I WON'T do it because Art Majors of America united and decided that's what it'll be. 

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Hmmm.  Eierman, Cassioppi, Marinelli during 2022 post-season tournaments.  Their injuries were all professionally diagnosed as the result of  Iowa style training techniques.  RBY, Nolf, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet etc. injuries are due to competing in matches.

Interesting.

I mean, Eierman, Kemerer, Marinelli, they were being held together by duct tape by the end of the year. 

I don't really remember any of those other guys from PSU using a metric ton of tape and large braces to keep 3 joins together just to get through a match.

RBY tweaked an ankle. I don't know what the next 3 did, but they won. That probably helps. Kerkvliet...I just thought he was bored of Wrestling.

Maybe Iowa's new facility will have some of those cryo-tanks like PSU has(I don't know that PSU has them, it just feels true).
It's also possible PSU just prays for health harder. Who's to say? 

35 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Dude...I am not that difficult(despite all evidence to the contrary)...I will call you want you want to be called. If Latino people ask me to call them LatinX, I'll do so. 

I WON'T do it because Art Majors of America united and decided that's what it'll be. 

Latino = masculine,  Latina = feminine.  Latin is neutral. I am none of the above.  I only play one on the internet. So if you would, just refer to me as Baron Von Luchador. I'm more German than Hitler envisioned in his highest standard or arian supremacy. 

• Haha 1
  • Clown 1

Yeah, that is true about the language.   Latinx is some made up thing probably by some white leftist with nothing better to do than to think they know the spanish language better than anybody.    Gender assignments are made on a host of nouns and articles.  In fact you would get a weird look if you said "La hermano" - Must be a gringo speaking, don't even know that the brother is a brother.   Latin languages just be that way.  

mspart

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, mspart said:

Yeah, that is true about the language.   Latinx is some made up thing probably by some white leftist with nothing better to do than to think they know the spanish language better than anybody.    Gender assignments are made on a host of nouns and articles.  In fact you would get a weird look if you said "La hermano" - Must be a gringo speaking, don't even know that the brother is a brother.   Latin languages just be that way.  

mspart

Yes...a very small...but loud group of us is HELL BENT on solving problems that...do not exist. 

We also apparently give out every possible award designated for a women to someone who was born a man. 

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/kaladkaren-wins-best-supporting-actress-first-summer-mmff/#:~:text=MANILA%2C Philippines – Kaladkaren made history,the festival's inaugural summer edition.

YAH FEMINISM!!! 

Trust me, most liberals don't know, agree...nor care about these things, or think they're silly. 

How does a non-binary samurai kill people? They slash them!

I tell people on social media about some of this shit and...they do not believe me...which makes sense as I barely do myself. "87% of people are trans, they just don't know it." Quote from an actual verified account on Twitter.

"The Government should require licenses in order to be a journalist...if you get something wrong, they should be able to revoke it."

That came from a "verified account of a white conservative, so...ya know, there's plenty of stoopid to go around. 

I find overwhelming majority of people are like MSpart or MPhillips. They may lean one way or the other, but you can generally have a reasonable conversation with them....but the crazies...they're getting crazier and they're getting more attention. 

• Fire 2

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I mean, Eierman, Kemerer, Marinelli, they were being held together by duct tape by the end of the year. 

I don't really remember any of those other guys from PSU using a metric ton of tape and large braces to keep 3 joins together just to get through a match.

RBY tweaked an ankle. I don't know what the next 3 did, but they won. That probably helps. Kerkvliet...I just thought he was bored of Wrestling.

Maybe Iowa's new facility will have some of those cryo-tanks like PSU has(I don't know that PSU has them, it just feels true).
It's also possible PSU just prays for health harder. Who's to say? 

Eierman and Cass were both clearly injured in post-season matches that they ended up winning.  I'm pretty sure both were hurt in Big 10 semis and forfeited finals.  You can visibly see them getting injured.  For Eierman, it was an ACL.  I don't think he was held together by tape before tearing the ACL.  Cass either.  Marinelli, I was thinking back to the year before when he injured a rib vs. Griffith.  

Kem is another story, but still made it out to the mat more than Robbie Howard.

Kerk has been wrestling with a torn ACL for years.  Starocci needed surgery after the season last year.  Brooks "hurt" when Downey teched him at Olympic trials.  (Was it his bad ankle that almost cost him the Nelson Brands match)  Then you have the whole Nolf knee situation his senior year.  How many injury redshirts did Cassar need?  Three? 

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

8 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Can you send me a link to that professional study?

Here, I had been under the impression that your assertion is a well-known trope to goad Iowa fans, which some hypothesize is also used as a negative recruiting tool against Iowa.

Live and learn.

The professional study was deleted when TheMat went down.

7 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Latinx. The day I first read about it; all I could think of is that is it "incredibly stupid." I feel the same way today. Maybe there is a better explanation of what the point of the term is - but I have yet to see it.

Don't blame the "white left" - you don't know that and provides nothing positive here. If you can make a sincere argument, do so. Otherwise, your comments only serve to divide us more.

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Eierman and Cass were both clearly injured in post-season matches that they ended up winning.  I'm pretty sure both were hurt in Big 10 semis and forfeited finals.  You can visibly see them getting injured.  For Eierman, it was an ACL.  I don't think he was held together by tape before tearing the ACL.  Cass either.  Marinelli, I was thinking back to the year before when he injured a rib vs. Griffith.  

Kem is another story, but still made it out to the mat more than Robbie Howard.

Kerk has been wrestling with a torn ACL for years.  Starocci needed surgery after the season last year.  Brooks "hurt" when Downey teched him at Olympic trials.  (Was it his bad ankle that almost cost him the Nelson Brands match)  Then you have the whole Nolf knee situation his senior year.  How many injury redshirts did Cassar need?  Three? 

Look...I have no dog in this fight, but c'mon...you don't see Iowa as having more injuries due, being more beaten up, not as fresh come March??

Howard came into PSU with shoulder issues as Kerk came with an ACL. Sorta like Spencer Lee, but Lee had two more ACLs in Iowa.

Brooks...I don't know what injury he had with Brands and Downey is Freestyle and I'm just talking about the College season, but he's looked pretty healthy and spy most of his College career. Same with Starocci, and Nolf? 

It seems like the difference is...Penn State guys seem to look healthy, they look fresh and, most importantly win at the end of the year and Iowa guys look just beat to hell. Maybe it's the Wrestlers. Dean looked beat up just as Warner does.

I don't know man...it just seems like Iowa goes are put through the ringer more than PSU guys. 

12 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Latinx. The day I first read about it; all I could think of is that is it "incredibly stupid." I feel the same way today. Maybe there is a better explanation of what the point of the term is - but I have yet to see it.

Don't blame the "white left" - you don't know that and provides nothing positive here. If you can make a sincere argument, do so. Otherwise, your comments only serve to divide us more.

Well, a women in communications strategies or something named Grace Flores-Hughes claims to have come up with the term.

Though the reason reasoning;

While it is unclear exactly when and where the term emerged, it is clear it emerged from queer Latinx online communities in order to challenge the gender binary.

There's actually a very real history behind it...they lobbied to get "Hispanics" onto the census for years(decades). And then it was Latino. And people were happy. 

It was a problem that needed to be solved.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Maybe there is a better explanation of what the point of the term is - but I have yet to see it.

Don't blame the "white left"

Not saying this is a a better explanation (or one aligned to particular sensibilitie), but I understand Latinx is primarily about 'gender identity inclusivity.'   It may also be a more general rebuke of patriarchal society--especially historically in Latin or hispanic communities.

It is akin to the movement towards gender neutral pronouns (they) and (to a lesser degree) the greater use of 'she' in U.S. government publications.

In the Romantic languages, certain words have been designated  'masculine,' such as 'farmers.'  These words are nominally preceded by 'el' or 'los' (a 'masculine' 'the,' singular or plural).  These words nominally end with the letter 'O'/'os' (or another, what is termed, 'masculine' suffix). 'Farmers' has been designated 'masculine' as 'los granjeros.'

Other words have been designated 'feminine,' like 'liberty.'  These words are nominally preceded by 'la' or 'las' (a 'feminine' 'the,' singular or plural).  These words nominally end in the letter 'A'/'as' or another 'feminine' suffix.  'Liberty' has been designated 'feminine' as 'la libertad.'

Furthermore, when both female doctors ('doctoras') and male doctors ('doctoros') are present together, grammatical rules would have the collection referred to with the 'masculine' form, even if only one male doctor is present.

The gender association to words may be seen as unnecessary, arbitrary, and detrimental to a segment of the latin community.  It is seen as excluding individuals who do not conform to a society's gender identity norms.  It may dissuade youngsters from pursuits contrary to the language's gender association when it differs from their own.

Following the grammatic rule, 'latinos' has been used to refer to a collection of Latin individuals where one male of a Latin ethnicity is present.  LatinX removes gender consideration from the word.  In this way, it is similar to the use of 'Xmas,' by those who celebrate seasonal  Black Fridays and gift-giving absent any religious affiliation.

One view is that the Latin language perpetuates a gender-bias within the Latin community.  This theoretically poses an unnecessary barrier to opportunity or general acceptance/inclusivity.  Advocates of terms like LatinX and proponents of elimination of the historical near exclusive use of the 'he/his/him' pronouns in publications seek to eliminate perceived barriers to radical gender identity inclusivity.

Proponents of Latinx who are most directly affected by exclusion certainly aren't the political majority.  One person's blame is another person's credit.  The LatinX community is looking for allies not enemies.

Interesting, a sociologist from Southern California popularized 'Chicano' (distinctly 'masculine' form) in the late 1960s, co-opting a prior racial slur as part of a movement   The intent was to identify a distinct Mexican- American experience of the time.  The term LatinX can be viewed similarly.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 2

9 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Look...I have no dog in this fight, but c'mon...you don't see Iowa as having more injuries due, being more beaten up, not as fresh come March??

Howard came into PSU with shoulder issues as Kerk came with an ACL. Sorta like Spencer Lee, but Lee had two more ACLs in Iowa.

Brooks...I don't know what injury he had with Brands and Downey is Freestyle and I'm just talking about the College season, but he's looked pretty healthy and spy most of his College career. Same with Starocci, and Nolf? 

It seems like the difference is...Penn State guys seem to look healthy, they look fresh and, most importantly win at the end of the year and Iowa guys look just beat to hell. Maybe it's the Wrestlers. Dean looked beat up just as Warner does.

I don't know man...it just seems like Iowa goes are put through the ringer more than PSU guys. 

The culture of over training has been passed on to the current staff. It's good to develop mental toughness but unsustainable for a full season. 

• Fire 2

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Nolf looked amazing at nationals his senior year after hurting his knee earlier in the season in a dual.

The Brands/Brooks match that I am referring to was not freestyle, but was at Big 10, I think.  Brooks was clearly hurt but made up a big deficit to win the match.  Very impressive. The Downey loss was in freestyle the same year, I believe.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Not saying this is a a better explanation (or one aligned to particular sensibilitie), but I understand Latinx is primarily about 'gender identity inclusivity.'   It may also be a more general rebuke of patriarchal society--especially historically in Latin or hispanic communities.

It is akin to the movement towards gender neutral pronouns (they) and (to a lesser degree) the greater use of 'she' in U.S. government publications.

In the Romantic languages, certain words have been designated  'masculine,' such as 'farmers.'  These words are nominally preceded by 'el' or 'los' (a 'masculine' 'the,' singular or plural).  These words nominally end with the letter 'O'/'os' (or another, what is termed, 'masculine' suffix). 'Farmers' has been designated 'masculine' as 'los granjeros.'

Other words have been designated 'feminine,' like 'liberty.'  These words are nominally preceded by 'la' or 'las' (a 'feminine' 'the,' singular or plural).  These words nominally end in the letter 'A'/'as' or another 'feminine' suffix.  'Liberty' has been designated 'feminine' as 'la libertad.'

Furthermore, when both female doctors ('doctoras') and male doctors ('doctoros') are present together, grammatical rules would have the collection referred to with the 'masculine' form, even if only one male doctor is present.

The gender association to words may be seen as unnecessary, arbitrary, and detrimental to a segment of the latin community.  It is seen as excluding individuals who do not conform to a society's gender identity norms.  It may dissuade youngsters from pursuits contrary to the language's gender association when it differs from their own.

Following the grammatic rule, 'latinos' has been used to refer to a collection of Latin individuals where one male of a Latin ethnicity is present.  LatinX removes gender consideration from the word.  In this way, it is similar to the use of 'Xmas,' by those who celebrate seasonal  Black Fridays and gift-giving absent any religious affiliation.

One view is that the Latin language perpetuates a gender-bias within the Latin community.  This theoretically poses an unnecessary barrier to opportunity or general acceptance/inclusivity.  Advocates of terms like LatinX and proponents of elimination of the historical near exclusive use of the 'he/his/him' pronouns in publications seek to eliminate perceived barriers to radical gender identity inclusivity.

Proponents of Latinx who are most directly affected by exclusion certainly aren't the political majority.  One person's blame is another person's credit.  The LatinX community is looking for allies not enemies.

Interesting, a sociologist from Southern California popularized 'Chicano' (distinctly 'masculine' form) in the late 1960s, co-opting a prior racial slur as part of a movement   The intent was to identify a distinct Mexican- American experience of the time.  The term LatinX can be viewed similarly.

Ok, this all makes sense...I got that and I would ABSOLUTELY respect their preference. It's no skin off my back to say "LatinX," over Latino or Hispanic...

But if the people who we're talking about vehemently dislike the term, then it feels condescending and a little condescending. 

They fought for an inclusive word like Latino or Hispanic. They got it. They were happy.

Now;

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/us/latinx-gallup-poll-preference-trnd/index.html

Remember the controversy over the Washington Football team? Now that one did seem unnecessarily offensive and it was rooted in racism(the owner literally named them that because he wanted them to "play like savages." 

BUT...there was a time when among Native Americans, that was their favorite team and polls(perhaps questionable polls, but polls nonetheless) by the Washington Post said 90% of Native American's were in favor of keeping the teams name.

That changed and then they became the Washington Football team, then the Commanders. 

God this is corny, but lets just try and LISTEN to people more. We might solve SOME issues. Just TRY and understand the opposing views. I understand LatinX may have been done with good intentions(most of these things are)...but Latino people can decide for themselves. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Latino people can decide for themselves

I agree with you that it's no sweat to call people what they asked to be called.  I also agree that it's presumptuous to apply one homogenized label over another.

Most Latino or Hispanic people I know prefer not to be lumped into one presumed homogenized entity.  Instead they'd prefer to be called Puerto Rican, Taino, Salvadoran, Mexican, etc.

A Latin cis gender male who is conservative might very well express his preference to be referred to as Latino over LatinX.

I don't really expect white cis gender males or females to lead the charge for the term LatinX.  And I don't think proponents of LatinX expect them to.  Again, they are looking for empathetic supportive allies for the broader inclusion they seek.

1 hour ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

I agree with you that it's no sweat to call people what they asked to be called.  I also agree that it's presumptuous to apply one homogenized label over another.

Most Latino or Hispanic people I know prefer not to be lumped into one presumed homogenized entity.  Instead they'd prefer to be called Puerto Rican, Taino, Salvadoran, Mexican, etc.

A Latin cis gender male who is conservative might very well express his preference to be referred to as Latino over LatinX.

I don't really expect white cis gender males or females to lead the charge for the term LatinX.  And I don't think proponents of LatinX expect them to.  Again, they are looking for empathetic supportive allies for the broader inclusion they seek.

How is it different from calling people white, black...or Asian? The most vague of all. Could be Russian, Iranian, Chinese?

Moreover, how are they NOT still "lumped into one presumed homogenized entity?"

You're not differentiating anything. You're just replacing Latino or Hispanic with LatinX....which EVERY Latino person I know...which includes a couple of beautiful nieces, Brother In-Law and a VERY large extended family who...seem to have very vocal opinions on LatinX. But that's anecdotal. 

4% of people in the aforementioned poll don't like LatinX. 

Here they're actively articulating they DISLIKE the term...and find it condescending.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/many-latinos-say-latinx-offends-or-bothers-them-here-s-ncna1285916

So I'm struggling to find a reason to use it. 

When I see actual Latino people using it, I'll gladly(continue) to respect their wishes. Not that it makes anymore sense, but I digress.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:07 PM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

From wikipedia:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx

Origins

The first records of the term Latinx appear in the 21st century,[22] but there is no certainty as to its first occurrence.[23] According to Google Trends, it was first seen online in 2004,[11][24][25] and first appeared in academic literature around 2013 "in a Puerto Rican psychological periodical to challenge the gender binaries encoded in the Spanish language."[23][26] Contrarily, it has been claimed that usage of the term "started in online chat rooms and listservs in the 1990s" and that its first appearance in academic literature was in the Fall 2004 volume of the journal Feministas Unidas.[27][28] In the U.S. it was first used in activist and LGBT circles as a way to expand on earlier attempts at gender-inclusive forms of the grammatically masculine Latino, such as Latino/a and Latin@.[24] Between 2004 and 2014, Latinx did not attain broad usage or attention.[11]

So apparently,  it was academic Latinos or Latinas that first coined the term.   But in the US, it seems that it was first done in activist and LGBT circles.   I'm inclined to say that this latter group is white leftists.   But obviously it was coined before that by Latinos (let it be known that this is a term that includes Latinas if both genders are involved). 

So I agree with you GWN partially.   I'm sure it was not white conservatives that came up with this term.   Can we agree with that?

mspart

3 hours ago, mspart said:

From wikipedia:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx

Origins

The first records of the term Latinx appear in the 21st century,[22] but there is no certainty as to its first occurrence.[23] According to Google Trends, it was first seen online in 2004,[11][24][25] and first appeared in academic literature around 2013 "in a Puerto Rican psychological periodical to challenge the gender binaries encoded in the Spanish language."[23][26] Contrarily, it has been claimed that usage of the term "started in online chat rooms and listservs in the 1990s" and that its first appearance in academic literature was in the Fall 2004 volume of the journal Feministas Unidas.[27][28] In the U.S. it was first used in activist and LGBT circles as a way to expand on earlier attempts at gender-inclusive forms of the grammatically masculine Latino, such as Latino/a and Latin@.[24] Between 2004 and 2014, Latinx did not attain broad usage or attention.[11]

So apparently,  it was academic Latinos or Latinas that first coined the term.   But in the US, it seems that it was first done in activist and LGBT circles.   I'm inclined to say that this latter group is white leftists.   But obviously it was coined before that by Latinos (let it be known that this is a term that includes Latinas if both genders are involved). 

So I agree with you GWN partially.   I'm sure it was not white conservatives that came up with this term.   Can we agree with that?

mspart

Are you mixing terms?  Most Latinos are white.  Also, most Latinos are left of center.

Not sure what you are getting at there.   Mixing terms?  Latinos are white?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-09/south-los-angeles-immigration-displacement-latinos-blacks-2020-census

Op-Ed: Why did so few Latinos identify themselves as white in the 2020 census?

The 2020 census results made a splash in mid-August with this clear message: A declining number of people in the United States identify themselves as white, and the shift is happening faster than many had predicted. But all the justified focus on the “browning” of America obscured a second storyline: the browning of Brown America.

Strikingly, the share of Latinos who identified their race as white in the 2020 census fell from about 53% in 2010 to about 20% in 2020; the share who identified as “other” rose from 37% to 42%, and the share identifying as two or more races jumped from 6% to 33%.

mspart

Edited by mspart

On 4/16/2023 at 12:32 AM, scourge165 said:

You're not differentiating anything. You're just replacing Latino or Hispanic with LatinX

I never said use of LatinX was differentiating by either ethnicity or nationality.  I explained why LatinX seems to have come onto being -- greater inclusivity that avoids potential for gender bias.

I agree LatinX homogenizes like white, black, and hispanic .  But white (aka caucasian) is a race category while Russian and Iranian are nationalities, not racial ethnicities.

The addition of "hispanic or latino" on employment forms associated with ethnic self-identification are for some statistical purpose, such as analysis for potential discrimination or demonstration of none.  Italian used to be on forms.

31 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Most Latinos are white

Spainish and Portuguese are considered white.  Hispanic derives from Historically Spanish.

Latino equates to Central or South American.

There are Black (e.g. descendants of slaves) and Native Americans who feel neither terms Latino or Hispanic are inclusive of them.

Some say LatinX is preferred by a Black South Americans in line with Malcolm X.

Some Chicanos adopted Xicano for their Native American identity.

White Spaniard colonists invented the words 'mestizo' and 'mullato' to systematically discriminate among mixed race peoples.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Not sure what you are getting at there.   Mixing terms?  Latinos are white?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-09-09/south-los-angeles-immigration-displacement-latinos-blacks-2020-census

Op-Ed: Why did so few Latinos identify themselves as white in the 2020 census?

The 2020 census results made a splash in mid-August with this clear message: A declining number of people in the United States identify themselves as white, and the shift is happening faster than many had predicted. But all the justified focus on the “browning” of America obscured a second storyline: the browning of Brown America.

Strikingly, the share of Latinos who identified their race as white in the 2020 census fell from about 53% in 2010 to about 20% in 2020; the share who identified as “other” rose from 37% to 42%, and the share identifying as two or more races jumped from 6% to 33%.

mspart

Here is what I am getting at.  Using this 2020 census data we see that 75.8% of the US is White alone.  We also see that 59.3% are White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, while 18.9% are Hispanic or Latino.

Also, a reason in trends changing for the 2020 census from the 2010 is due to direct enumerator training of 2010.

I have an Afro-Latina wife.  We had an enumerator try telling us that because she identifies as Hispanic that he had to mark her as White for her race.

When I spoke to his Crew Lead I was once again assured that this was 'How Atlanta wanted it done.'

We didn't have as many door to door this last time on 2020... not sure why?

( plandemic maybe )

More people got to select which option(s) they identified as rather than a person doing it for them how they were trained to.

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me