At Large Bid announced

VakAttack

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Not lost in the mini bracket final to Miller from Maryland so miller got the auto bid and Oliveri finished 1 spot out …..he had previously beat miller in the dual 

Guys who lost the "play-in" for 9th didn't get bids - and rightly so IMO.

3 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Guys who lost the "play-in" for 9th didn't get bids - and rightly so IMO.

Uh a guy from rider who lost first round at the Macs then defaulted out and who lost to Rutgers 3rd string guy in the dual got a bid , Oliveri who has a win over the 3rd place finisher in the big ten didn’t 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Only 2 at large selections for the ACC. They had a rather chalky tournament and pretty good allocations but is anyone surprised the number isn't higher? By comparison:

Big12 = 13 (+65 allocations)
Big Ten = 11 (+88)
EIWA = 10 (+45)
MAC = 4 (+23)
Pac12 = 4 (+19)
SoCon = 4 (+12)
ACC = 2 (+33)

Well, only six teams and Duke barely counts.  Duke only won two bouts the entire tournament!

I would have liked to have seen Matty Singleton get one at 165, however.  He had to have been in consideration.

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

As an example, the kid from Rider who got Pucino's bid lost in the MAC tournament to a guy Danny beat 4-1. Then the Rider kid medical forfeited out of the MAC tournament.

The Rider lad also lost to a 5-4 wrestler by tech fall, got beaten by Rutger's backup 133 pounder, lost to multiple people who didn't make the NCAA tournament, and the only person I could identify him beating who earned an auto bid is a guy Pucino pinned, while Danny beat two other qualifiers and had a much more difficult schedule. Yes, I am pissed and ...

I dissent.

“the Rider lad” (McKenzie Bell) beat the following guys earning autobids:

Carter Young

Parker Filius

Kal Miller

Seth Koleno

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Uh a guy from rider who lost first round at the Macs then defaulted out and who lost to Rutgers 3rd string guy in the dual got a bid , Oliveri who has a win over the 3rd place finisher in the big ten didn’t 

I'm talking about the B10. If you have the shot to win a 9th place match to go to NCAA's  and don't, well, maybe it's on you. And a couple guys I root for blew it.

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Only 2 at large selections for the ACC. They had a rather chalky tournament and pretty good allocations but is anyone surprised the number isn't higher? By comparison:

Big12 = 13 (+65 allocations)
Big Ten = 11 (+88)
EIWA = 10 (+45)
MAC = 4 (+23)
Pac12 = 4 (+19)
SoCon = 4 (+12)
ACC = 2 (+33)

Slipped my mind, but not having a fifth-place match where they earned four automatics really hurts the conference. That's something that really needs to be looked at during the offseason, and it's something that other conferences that don't place their whole field (most notably the conferences with "Big" in their name) have figured out.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Admittedly, I haven’t followed college wrestling as closely as I have in the past (job and young kids keep me busy), but wow 197 must not have had much depth this year

I think Shaw & the other At-Large bids @ 197 greatly benefited from the fact that 197 was almost completely chalk.  28 of the 29 tournament NCAA qualifiers had already earned AQ's.   Only 1 "steal" with 4 At-Larges to still award.

• Fire 1

Miller got jobbed so much worse than Oliveiri and Pucino.

Pucino has an RPI so low he isn't even in the screenshot I shared. If you take out his D-II win and MFF loss, he's 13-10. He closed the season 0-3 at B1G and 1-6 overall, probably torching his RPI and CR in the process. That's the hill you want to die on?

Olivieri is 12-7, and also closed the season 2-5 which blew up his RPI and probably CR the same as it did to Pucino. 

McKenzie Bell has a higher RPI than either of them, probably a higher CR (he's higher on Intermat) and is 24-7 with more quality wins than the B1G boosters gave him credit for. He MFF'd out of the MAC tournament, which probably gave him some slack on his tournament finish. He beat Darren Miller too, so that's probably how he got in over Miller.

You can look at bad losses all you want but on the numbers that matter, there's no way Pucino or Olivieri are better candidates than Bell (or Miller - 20-8, multiple wins over AQs, higher RPI *and* Intermat ranking than everyone else we're talking about here). 

Cole Mattin is a worse pick than Bell (or Miller) too.

Edited by ugarles

20 hours ago, ugarles said:

Miller got jobbed so much worse than Oliveiri and Pucino.

Pucino has an RPI so low he isn't even in the screenshot I shared. If you take out his D-II win and MFF loss, he's 13-10. He closed the season 0-3 at B1G and 1-6 overall, probably torching his RPI and CR in the process. That's the hill you want to die on?

Olivieri is 12-7, and also closed the season 2-5 which blew up his RPI and probably CR the same as it did to Pucino. 

McKenzie Bell has a higher RPI than either of them, probably a higher CR (he's higher on Intermat) and is 24-7 with more quality wins than the B1G boosters gave him credit for. He MFF'd out of the MAC tournament, which probably gave him some slack on his tournament finish. He beat Darren Miller too, so that's probably how he got in over Miller.

You can look at bad losses all you want but on the numbers that matter, there's no way Pucino or Olivieri are better candidates than Bell (or Miller - 20-8, multiple wins over AQs, higher RPI *and* Intermat ranking than everyone else we're talking about here). 

Cole Mattin is a worse pick than Bell (or Miller) too.

From ScarletKnights

"In addition, Joseph Olivieri (141) has been selected as a first alternate for his weight class and will make the trip to Tulsa. If one of the 33 entrents in his weight class are unable to compete, he will be put into the field."

56 minutes ago, vsnej said:

From ScarletKnights

"In addition, Joseph Olivieri (141) has been selected as a first alternate for his weight class and will make the trip to Tulsa. If one of the 33 entrents in his weight class are unable to compete, he will be put into the field."

congrats to him! i have nothing against him personally and i wonder if Miller hit someone on the committee with his car. 

On 3/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, ugarles said:

i thought i read that they changed it; i know that you are correct historically [about the pigtail being 32v33 and facing the top seed].

found it image.thumb.png.fb0a42b89a475f215a53cb3cb45dc5af.png

Edited by ugarles

found it image.thumb.png.fb0a42b89a475f215a53cb3cb45dc5af.png

I’m guessing they didn’t change the language of this part after they went to seeding all 33 individuals in the bracket. The 32/33 winner naturally hits the #1 when seeding the entire field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I’m guessing they didn’t change the language of this part after they went to seeding all 33 individuals in the bracket. The 32/33 winner naturally hits the #1 when seeding the entire field.

that makes sense but at least i didn't imagine it