Make Your Case For an At-Large Bid

35 minutes ago, Matthew Burns said:

Dom Demas ,

Ranked in the top 25 or so all year long. Placed ...3rd at 141 in 2019.

He's probably still living off of the lunch money he took from Nick Lee in that match.

I wanna see him in a round of 16 match VS a top 10 seed like Parco or Murin.

Was Demas a one trick pony? With everyone watching out for the inside trip, he's not nearly as effective 

50 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He couldn’t even lift his right arm after the match with Lewan. I was shocked he went out for a second match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't believe he finished that match. If it was a shoulder, Ok, that's brutal, but I can see it. If it's a broken collarbone...I don't see how he finished the OT match where he injured it.

Tougher than hell and impressive job at gutting it out, but...as badly as I feel for the kid, not a good reason for an at-large.

• Fire 1

Andrew Berreyesa, Northern Colorado at 174. 

- Quality win over Cassella

- 23 in last CR 

- Greco style makes him dangerous against anyone and flashy feet-to-back pins are fun.

- He gets to hang out with 2 teammates from NoCo and 7* from Cornell. 

* or 8, see above

Edited by ugarles
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, BAC said:

At 157 in the B1G, what do you do with Brayton Lee and Mike Carr?

Both are top 20 guys with long histories.  Lee a former AA, Carr was unbeaten this year and lots of big wins over his career.

But...  Lee is 4-9, no wins over top 20 guys, and went 0-2 at B1Gs, ending with a 1st minute pin to MD's North.  And Carr went 0-3 at B1Gs and only has 7 matches.

I feel really bad for Lee. He was (is) a great wrestler, but injuries have made him a shell of his former self. 

Does he have another year of eligibility? A change of scenery might do him well. Indiana, perhaps? 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, TylerDurden said:

I feel really bad for Lee. He was (is) a great wrestler, but injuries have made him a shell of his former self. 

Does he have another year of eligibility? A change of scenery might do him well. Indiana, perhaps? 

I don't think he needs a change of scenery, just a year of health. Dude had a BRUTAL injury last year to that elbow. I think it was replacing the ball that goes into the elbow joint. That doesn't help much with your weight training. 

And then this year just drilled onto the mat with that double. Nothing dirty, but just bad luck. You can land like that a dozen times and one fluke time your shoulder comes out or you break a collar bone.

I think he's in a good place at UM and I'm hoping he can come back next year, get back to where he was LAST year, #1 at one point. 

He seems like a good dude. Obviously tough. Season is probably over and I imagine he'll be training like a madman from now until next season and I see no reason he can't have a big comeback season and...who knows? Maybe he puts together a run. Or maybe he hangs it up as it'd be his 6th year with the extra Covid year. But if he did wrestle for the last time, I'll remember him trying to gut out another painful looking injury and just battling. 

• Fire 2

Penn u 149 Doug Zapf

I think spelled wrong. But losing to Chappel i immediately thought hes out. 

I thought had pretty good year to earn out large bid.  

No skin in game. From Chappel school district so was following.

Edited by cangemi
  • Fire 4

49 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Penn u 149 Doug Zapf

I think spelled wrong. But losing to Chappel i immediately thought hes out. 

I thought had pretty good year to earn out large bid.  

No skin in game. From Chappel school district so was following.

zapf is a shoo-in

• Fire 3

5 hours ago, ugarles said:

I didn't look at the bracket and wrestlestat has the matches in reverse order. i was shocked that he went to SV against Lewan after getting pinned in :38. Reversing the order and assuming an injury the results make a lot more sense.

Is this a testament to Lee being tough or Lewan taking anyone, any ability,  any injury to OT? 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, 89Cradle said:

When are the AT Large Bids released?   Need some education on these Bids, does past years matter, an AA last year, etc.  What are the top three criteria?   

expected to be released any time between now and the selection show with the seeds tomorrow night. past years don't officially matter but... idk. You can see the full NCAA manual here. The information you're looking for is on pp. 14-15 of the pdf.

• Fire 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, Idaho said:

Chance Rich

1. He had to MedFFT - that should count for something - it does in the Big10. We can't change the rules now. 

2. He wrestles for Bakersfield. They need a rep at the NCAA. This should be like the MLB all-star game where every team gets a rep in the game. Trophies for everyone. 

3. He has a great name.

4. He has wins over qualifiers including an injury win over Cannon 

Nickname: "The Lottery"

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, DocBB said:

Paddy wins over NCAA qualifiers this year (3)-Trevor Chumbley, Andrew Clark, Corybn Munson (TF)

Paddy finisehd 11th at Big Ten's via a MFF which is on the cut line for 157 allocations (10).  He did al this while going 0-3 at Big 10s! Now that is impressive!

Paddy's coaches ranking before Big Ten's was 22. Intermat 25. Flo 22. RPI 21. Wrestlestat 24 (updated).

Is Irish and name can be used for unlimited puns and jokes...Paddy Cake, Paddy Wagon, etc. Favorite movie is Banshees of Inisheran. Rumor is Colin Farrell is a big fan of his as well.

Could be wrestling on Day 2 (St. Patrick's Day) and the commentators would love him.  

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, jmoney said:

He was so good at 133. 

Yeah, was surprised to see him at 141 this year but he  has shown weight progression throughout HS - winning NJ state tiles at 106 FR, 132 JR and 138 SR. 

1 hour ago, vsnej said:

Yeah, was surprised to see him at 141 this year but he  has shown weight progression throughout HS - winning NJ state tiles at 106 FR, 132 JR and 138 SR. 

It definitely appears that if you're not in the 97th to 99th percentiles of natural talent (Rivera, Lovett, Hidlay, Lewis come to mind) the cutting weight thing really matters. It takes extra strength to offset any deficiencies most definitely at the highest level. I know some don't agree cutting weight is a good thing but I think it's the difference maker around the margins.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, jmoney said:

It definitely appears that if you're not in the 97th to 99th percentiles of natural talent (Rivera, Lovett, Hidlay, Lewis come to mind) the cutting weight thing really matters. It takes extra strength to offset any deficiencies most definitely at the highest level. I know some don't agree cutting weight is a good thing but I think it's the difference maker around the margins.

Agree with this 100%, especially when it comes to tournaments. 

As for 141, I think the Italians are in. Both Danny Pucino and Joey Oliveri had good RPI and Ranking slots. There are only four At-Large bids at the weight, so it will be close.

Carl Happel, Saul Ervin, Cole Martin, Darren Miller, Javion Jones and Dylan Droegemueller are some of the others in the Matrix.

For anybody looking for answers about their favorite wrestler, a good place to start is Pirate's "Police Blotter," which shows who earned an allocation and didn't get the spot.