Nebraska vs Arizona St.

Mr. PeanutButter

10 hours ago, SunDevil said:

All Figs has shown all year is the ability to not lose a match. He is very tight in matches with Courtney. That is expected by two guys with such ability that wrestle everyday for 2 years together. Figs wins more than he loses in the room though. 

From on outsiders perspective Figs seems like the higher ceiling, lower floor choice. Courtney is almost sure to AA but unlikely to make a finals run again. Figs is undefeated and his win over Ramos shows that he can beat anyone (spencer withstanding) at the weight class.

10 hours ago, SunDevil said:

All Figs has shown all year is the ability to not lose a match. He is very tight in matches with Courtney. That is expected by two guys with such ability that wrestle everyday for 2 years together. Figs wins more than he loses in the room though. 

From on outsiders perspective Figs seems like the higher ceiling, lower floor choice. Courtney is almost sure to AA but unlikely to make a finals run again. Figs is undefeated and his win over Ramos shows that he can beat anyone (spencer withstanding) at the weight class.

18 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Absolutely terrible effort out of Hardy.  He quit after giving up 6.  Not sure if he's dinged up/sick but if not...gutless effort.

i dont think he gave up right away... but the decision to ride... probably not a good one...

that kid was tough... not sure which way to attack a 5 point deficit against him

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

i dont think he gave up right away... but the decision to ride... probably not a good one...

that kid was tough... not sure which way to attack a 5 point deficit against him

After a rewatch, Hardy not getting that TD right at the end of the period really took the rest of the wind out of his sails. 

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, SunDevil said:

Yas wrestled the last two duals. Vazquez is hurt. 

The emergence of Ysaguirre in that Nebraska dual makes me wonder how he fits into the lineup for ASU not only for next year but for this year as well.  Is Vasquez going to be back for the PAC 12 tournament?

And for 2024 how does he fit in the ASU lineup?  

And what about Mykey Ramos?  Where does he fit in the 2024 ASU lineup?

54 minutes ago, NearFall said:

The emergence of Ysaguirre in that Nebraska dual makes me wonder how he fits into the lineup for ASU not only for next year but for this year as well.  Is Vasquez going to be back for the PAC 12 tournament?

Maybe one or both of them will transfer to Bakersfield... 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

The decision to go with Courtney makes less and less sense. 

Fig's best win is over Matt Ramos, an excellent win but Fig also has an uninspiring 7-5 win over ISU's 4th string and a 6-5 squeeker over unranked Antonio Lorenzo. 

Fig will be a good one but his lack of offense remains a liability. Courtney is the clear better option this year 

2 hours ago, NearFall said:

I think it’d be a mistake to send out Ysaguirre for PAC 12s, even if Vasquez is on the shelf. ASU should keep the shirt on and call it a lost year. As for next year, I’d really like to see Ysaguirre make the cut to 133. Figs-Ysaguirre-Vasquez-Parco could be a salty first four. I personally don’t think Ramos is in their plans. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Fig's best win is over Matt Ramos, an excellent win but Fig also has an uninspiring 7-5 win over ISU's 4th string and a 6-5 squeeker over unranked Antonio Lorenzo. 

Fig will be a good one but his lack of offense remains a liability. Courtney is the clear better option this year 

Close wins still count as wins. Courtney has the career wins to back it up but his best win this season is over Brandon Kaylor. The win over Ramos is the most impressive win of the season. 

2 hours ago, NearFall said:

Ramos wrestled as a true freshman last year. Took his RS this year. Not sure where he will fit in. 
Yas is done fir the year I would say. No way they pull his RS for Pac 12s. 
Maybe guys move up? Maybe Yas goes to 133. Chlebove has been wrestling well at 133. 
2024 will see a hole at 133 and 165 until they are filled. Do guys move up or down? 
Larkin and Ruiz RS in 2024. 2 guys in that 149-165 range. 

7 hours ago, Gus said:

Agree with this.  But if I were the coach I'd probably rather have the higher floor, especially at a weight like 125 with a lot of parity.   

Do we know if there was a wrestleoff?

1 hour ago, SunDevil said:

Ramos wrestled as a true freshman last year. Took his RS this year. Not sure where he will fit in. 
Yas is done fir the year I would say. No way they pull his RS for Pac 12s. 
Maybe guys move up? Maybe Yas goes to 133. Chlebove has been wrestling well at 133. 
2024 will see a hole at 133 and 165 until they are filled. Do guys move up or down? 
Larkin and Ruiz RS in 2024. 2 guys in that 149-165 range. 

Thanks for your thoughts on this.   I guess whether or not Emilio competes at the 2023 PAC 12 tournament depends on whether Vasquez returns to the lineup or not.  After all EY has wrestled in 12 matches this year and if he does compete again this season he can always use his RS year later some time if need be.

I was also wondering if Ysaguirre might be able to drop to 133 lbs myself.    If so ASU would have Figueroa at 125, Ysaguirre at 133, Vasquez at 141, Parco at 149 and Teemer or possibly Ramos at 157 if Teemer moves up to 165.

7 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

The decision to go with Courtney makes less and less sense. 

Why? DK if anyone on here actually knows what's going on in the room. I wish I did. Fig's beat Ramos in early December. His last match was a lackluster performance angainst Cal Poly that he damn near gave away. He celebrated like he beat Lee. DK if that has anything to do with him not being in the lineup since, but everyone is acting like he's 2nd best in the nation. I'm a Devil fan, but I don't know. Courtney has drawn the tough opponents in duals where Fig has sat. Lee is gone after this year, so yes, Fig probably has a great chance in the future to win it all. Just wish I could see the two wrestle off to feel comfortable with the decision one way or the other. If they're even, give it to Courtney who's the senior. If Figs is clearly better then he deserves it. Figs has the credentials, but hell Vasquez is a 4 time Cal state champ. Still waiting for him to blossom. Anthony Valencia was the top recruit out of HS but he peaked in HS. Solid college wrestler but not a star. Can't predict college performance based on HS finishes. 

1 hour ago, NearFall said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this.   I guess whether or not Emilio competes at the 2023 PAC 12 tournament depends on whether Vasquez returns to the lineup or not.  After all EY has wrestled in 12 matches this year and if he does compete again this season he can always use his RS year later some time if need be.

I was also wondering if Ysaguirre might be able to drop to 133 lbs myself.    If so ASU would have Figueroa at 125, Ysaguirre at 133, Vasquez at 141, Parco at 149 and Teemer or possibly Ramos at 157 if Teemer moves up to 165.

Watching Ysaquirea lasts week against Bakersfield, he looks big! I can't see him at 133. DK what's up with Vasquez, I know he had a serious injury last year, hopefully not the same thing keeping him out this week. Curious thing about Emilio is his lackluster performance in open tourneys. I think he lost as many as he won against second tier competiton. Definetly stepped it up this last week. 

Devils have a logjam at the 141-149/157, coming up. Vasquez,Ysaquirre, Parco, Ramos, Larkin and Teamer. Wish someone would grow, because 165-197 is suspect, though Valencia has looked much better in 2023. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, wjd said:

Watching Ysaquirea lasts week against Bakersfield, he looks big! I can't see him at 133. DK what's up with Vasquez, I know he had a serious injury last year, hopefully not the same thing keeping him out this week. Curious thing about Emilio is his lackluster performance in open tourneys. I think he lost as many as he won against second tier competiton. Definetly stepped it up this last week. 

Devils have a logjam at the 141-149/157, coming up. Vasquez,Ysaquirre, Parco, Ramos, Larkin and Teamer. Wish someone would grow, because 165-197 is suspect, though Valencia has looked much better in 2023. 

I think Teemer needs to bump up to 165 for the sake of the team 

• Fire 1