Who on this board was the worst wrestler?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Just now, jackwebster said:

Shane and I started the same year and carpooled to our first tournament together: Glenpool.

Funny story about his shoes: he was so young and small that they couldn't find ones small enough. So, they cut a pair of the mesh Dan Gables in half, took out the middle, and sewed them back together. Now that I write this, it seems absurd; but, that's the story my mom told me. 

the boys officially started in berryhill...

but... not one small OK town they have not wrestled in...

the gym the youngest one trains out of now this signed photograph...

image.jpeg.74563a9cf75a2b09046b7590d03c9d39.jpeg

blubaugh was one of his coaches first coach...

both boys have walked out of ponca with a Blubaugh invitational trophy...

Blubaugh-Doug_with-McCann-and-Wilson.jpg.crdownload

Edited by LJB
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Funny story about his shoes: he was so young and small that they couldn't find ones small enough. So, they cut a pair of the mesh Dan Gables in half, took out the middle, and sewed them back together. Now that I write this, it seems absurd; but, that's the story my mom told me. 

i will never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

2 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I used to practice with a first year Mikey Blaylock, pretty sure that's Jonce's dad, at Keifer every once in a while. 

I wrestled Sapulpa's Blue Perez a bunch.

jonce and davey dolan were still in HS when the boys were first starting... we got to know them pretty well...

not sure if you knew, but, jonce has been going through some cancer stuff for the last year...

just a great kid... have messaged him a few times...

i see him on the facetubes and he appears to be doing pretty well...

• Fire 1

amusing mike blaylock story...

one year not long after someone took me by the hand and explained what fargo really was, jonce and davey were training to go... im pretty sure that is the year that jonce got to "wrestle" pico...

anyway...

the boys and i showed up after they were done... both jonce and davey were laying there on the mat pretty wiped...

walked over and started chatting with mike...

i do not remember who the coach was that was running that session, but, it was somebody for real...

mike was telling me i just missed how the coach took some peppers and had them rub it on their hands and then their eyes and then wrestle a match...

it was either pure psycho shit or tuesday...

but those were my first kind of introductions to this sport...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I used to practice with a first year Mikey Blaylock, pretty sure that's Jonce's dad, at Keifer every once in a while. 

I wrestled Sapulpa's Blue Perez a bunch.

i just was rereading this...

blue perez was a true wild man... like a 1% true wild man... always nothing but respect between us, but, i never wanted to see him get rowdy...

my oldest wrestled his kid when they were little...

blue...

fish...

tdon...

all psycho OK wrestlers from your time...

still chat regularly with a guy who was a teammate with hardell at coweta...

This topic made me think about my best friend from high school. He was a football player, and never wrestled. All 3 of his daughters wrestle.

I convinced him to enter an open/masters tournament last April that his daughters were wrestling in at our old high school. He asked me who would be wrestling in it in our age group (39 to) and I told him it would be dads and maybe some coaches, but I specifically told him "There won't be any hammers in your bracket." This was consistent with what I have seen in the past at these types of local tournaments with a masters bracket.

He shows up and there are 4 people in his bracket, and the other 3 of them are ACTIVE COLLEGE WRESTLERS. 1 D1, 1 D2, and 1 NAIA. He went 0-3 for the day, but felt he got perspective for coaching from it.

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Lived this shit as a teen. Grew away from it for some years but made it back...

Some of us never left...

1 hour ago, LJB said:

dude...

i am seriously trying to get back to my hillbilly roots...

i am over all of it...

I can still take a tree out with a 76 Ford F250 highboy. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

My frosh year @ Mendham HS in NJ (They called it West Morris/Mendham, of which pissed me off to no end , right up to this very day!!!  🤬

First year the HS opened... we had to get a math teacher, who had NO experience in wrestling. One of the wrestlers played the part of the coach and organized practice, while our athletic director schedule duals on the fly.

The only wins I had were in the wrestle offs for 115... never won a single bout. (My older brother who was in college at the time, used to call me "Canvas Back" due to losing by fall all the time. )

The only reason why I got my varsity letter in wrestling, was due to winning the final wrestle off to wrestle in the districts... 😏

AT Phillipsburg HS! 😬

... I lost THAT match to an eventual state champ (in the following season. )

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Some of us never left...

I can still take a tree out with a 76 Ford F250 highboy. 

dude...

i was a long hair on a motorcycle pushing/towing an MGBGT to somebodies' trailor that day with the help of one of those trucks...

something was on fire and at least 3 people got scabs every single day...

good times...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

51 Ford 9N. 

that is just bragging now...

my ex-race road dawg bought a similar tractor from someone who had fully restored it and was horrified to find out that my guy was going to use it as a daily on his land...

i spent about an hour and a half just looking at how smart that thing was put together...

that seat for being just a piece of metal was ridiculously comfortable...

59 minutes ago, LJB said:

that is just bragging now...

my ex-race road dawg bought a similar tractor from someone who had fully restored it and was horrified to find out that my guy was going to use it as a daily on his land...

i spent about an hour and a half just looking at how smart that thing was put together...

that seat for being just a piece of metal was ridiculously comfortable...

haha...  you were a wuss if you got the canopy to cool off that seat. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

haha...  you were a wuss if you got the canopy to cool off that seat. 

image.thumb.jpeg.324ceacb6115e9b2792d325578ce6de9.jpeg

30 years later those same people thought nothing of putting their grandchildren on these in OK while it was 114^ in the shade...

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

image.thumb.jpeg.324ceacb6115e9b2792d325578ce6de9.jpeg

30 years later those same people thought nothing of putting their grandchildren on these in OK while it was 114^ in the shade...

Yep... sounded like a skin graph sliding down it.  The makeup of old playgrounds vs new playgrounds is probably a good commentary on life.