Who is the next Spencer Lee?

16 minutes ago, mspart said:

So who is the next potential light weight 4 timer (almost)?   That would be tough to get correct. 

mspart

Maybe he just meant who will be the next guy to MFF out of two tournaments in a row?  That should be easier.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's a question.   Knowing Lee's history of injury, is anyone actually surprised he didn't finish the NCAA tourney?   I wasn't .  But I am kind of surprised he didn't finish the US Nationals.   He must have been hurting.  I did see his last match on youtube and he was 9-0 at the half and did not score 2nd period, did not really even come close.   Something was amiss. 

mspart

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

Here's a question.   Knowing Lee's history of injury, is anyone actually surprised he didn't finish the NCAA tourney?   I wasn't .  But I am kind of surprised he didn't finish the US Nationals.   He must have been hurting.  I did see his last match on youtube and he was 9-0 at the half and did not score 2nd period, did not really even come close.   Something was amiss. 

mspart

It looked like he did something to the left knee end of first.  Note the way he walked off the mat at break, didn't attempt any quick movement off left leg in second period and the way he walked off after.

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Meaning the next can't-miss lightweight stud?

I used to think it was Bo Bassett given he was a lightweight stud who was leaning Iowa.  But he has taken a few losses recently so I'm left wondering who is the next Spencer Lee?

Found him

image.thumb.png.8a065d43f7652367688f443920c12084.png

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

How long did we wait for the next Dan Gable?   Was that Cael?  Dan was supposed to go undefeated and ended up losing 1 match in college.   Cael didn't lose any.  That was a long time.   Has there ever been anyone at lightweight as dominant as Lee?   For having bum legs, he was phenomenal Lee was. 

mspart

15 minutes ago, mspart said:

How long did we wait for the next Dan Gable?   Was that Cael?  Dan was supposed to go undefeated and ended up losing 1 match in college.   Cael didn't lose any.  That was a long time.   Has there ever been anyone at lightweight as dominant as Lee?   For having bum legs, he was phenomenal Lee was. 

mspart

The next Dan Gable?  There had been 3x undefeated NCs before Gable, he was only 2x but he was undefeated prior to finishing 2nd.   There were obviously 4x NCs before Lee and he didn't finish 2nd.  🙄

Oh good, another post about Spencer from Jimmy.  It had only been about a day since he last mentioned Spence so I thought maybe Jimmy forgot about him.  Thank you Jimmy for starting another thread about Spencer, we needed it.

I'll go with Bassett.  I know he took a couple Ls at U17s but to my eyes, he is markedly better at folkstyle, where he can push the pace and work his top game.  But props to the Cortez brothers -- I think each of them took a win over him.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Meaning the next can't-miss lightweight stud?

I used to think it was Bo Bassett given he was a lightweight stud who was leaning Iowa.  But he has taken a few losses recently so I'm left wondering who is the next Spencer Lee?

He was a generational talent. You'll have to ask your kids.