Bernie Sanders capitalistic anti-capitalist

headshuck

16 hours ago, El Luchador said:

Critical thinking may be the biggest need in education. 

Only mathematics involved thinking when I was in school. Everything else was memorization. And mostly stuff that didn't seem important.

What general said "Nuts!" to the Germans at the Battle of the Bulge?

I had no idea. But that scene is in a movie. They made it look funny since it made no sense to the Germans.  Anything critical about it.

Learning to play chess was more useful than most classes.

5 minutes ago, psikeyhackr said:

Only mathematics involved thinking when I was in school. Everything else was memorization. And mostly stuff that didn't seem important.

I had no idea. But that scene is in a movie. They made it look funny since it made no sense to the Germans.  Anything critical about it.

So what's significant about not factoring in depreciation? 

21 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

So what's significant about not factoring in depreciation? 

What is economic growth and what does GDP have to do with it?

There were 200,000,000 cars in the US in 1994. Suppose each car lost $1500 in depreciation annually.  That would be $300,000,000,000. Should that be ignored?

Consumers have to replace their durable consumer goods to maintain the same quality of life. Every time they buy a replacement it gets added to GDP. But the depreciation of the item replaced is not subtracted in the equation that is in our economics books. But economists don't talk about NDP anyway. Like GDP is all that matters.

There are so many durable consumer goods that did not exist before 1900 and the concept of GNP/GDP was developed. Considering how much of GDP is made up of the purchase of those goods does economics with defective algebra make sense?

The net result is planned obsolescence increases economic growth if GDP is all that matters.

Edited by psikeyhackr
add sentence

39 minutes ago, psikeyhackr said:

The net result is planned obsolescence increases economic growth if GDP is all that matters.

Pretty much.   If you can figure out how to make a product expire just after the warranty wears out, you win. 

mspart

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

Pretty much.   If you can figure out how to make a product expire just after the warranty wears out, you win. 

mspart

What infuriates me is the manufacturer preventing you from fixing your owned equipment with software lockout.

HP printers, you used to not suck.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, psikeyhackr said:

I'm not sure that's something I'd brag about.  Mathematics is the most logical of subjects, but many, many other things make sense on some level to most people with a thought process.

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

What infuriates me is the manufacturer preventing you from fixing your owned equipment with software lockout.

HP printers, you used to not suck.

I recently did a firmware upgrade for an HP LaserJet that was crying about using a non-HP toner cartridge.

That quieted it right down. Works fine with 3rd party cartridges with no complaining now. Worth looking into to.

19 hours ago, El Luchador said:

Critical thinking may be the biggest need in education. 

Not critical race thinking, but critical thinking.   There is a difference.   One is not like the other.   The latter is in great need.

mspart

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

I'm not sure that's something I'd brag about.  Mathematics is the most logical of subjects, but many, many other things make sense on some level to most people with a thought process.

Did comparing Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story make sense? It was so obvious it was boring. I liked two songs though, America and Officer Krupke.