Need tips for coaching inner city high school wrestling

okccoach86

I am a head coach for an inner city school. I have been a high school wrestling coach for four years now. I have never coached inner city before. Obviously in this environment its not necessarily about winning state championships or having All-Americans but more about being there for these athletes and teaching them the sport of wrestling. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated 

47 minutes ago, okccoach86 said:

I am a head coach for an inner city school. I have been a high school wrestling coach for four years now. I have never coached inner city before. Obviously in this environment its not necessarily about winning state championships or having All-Americans but more about being there for these athletes and teaching them the sport of wrestling. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated 

One thought is see if you can link up with Big Brother etc. type programs.  In youth club we had some kids that only got envolved & stayed engaged because of their Big Brother providing transport encouragement etc.  There are probably others beside BB.  Good luck and thanks for your work.  

I appreciate that and  that's a good idea with the big brothers.  My school is good about providing us with what we need such uniforms and equipment. Right now the big issue is getting kids to buy in and be committed. I have two middle school feeder programs that start practice next week in our wrestling room after our practices are done.  I am going to get real involved with the ms programs and build relationships with the coaches and kids. I think in a few years we could have a full line up and a competitive team 

Beat the Streets is a strong organization in urban and non-urban settings, successful in NY and NJ, can't speak to other chapters. 

https://www.btsny.org/

Mat McClenahan did well coaching in Los Angeles and explained some of the process to me, I ran into him at the World Cup in LA several years ago. 

Apparently he is now the principal at an LA area high school.

Mat McClenahan has recently taken up the post of Oak Park High School principal at the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. He moved into the position after leaving his past job at High Tech Los Angeles, a charter school he helped found and run.

1. While this applies to all coaches, especially where you are make a point be friendly with and work with the other coaches. Especially Basketball. If you become the “angry wrestling guy” you won’t get any support or anything done.

2. Actually follow through on benching kids for discipline issues. Even or especially if it costs you a couple wins. Otherwise culture won’t change.

3. Buy 2pieces. Don’t be the stubborn youth coach that thinks people who nothing about the sport won’t make because singlets seem weird at first. They do t know anything about wrestling culture or have only heard seen the crazy stories or negative stereotypes about things like weight cutting.

4. In general, but especially if coaching by yourself. Find good managers. They’ll be the difference between you making it through sane and with something done or overworked and burnt out. 

5. Make starting on time and attendance the most important part of your culture.

6. If you have the numbers, don’t do wrestle offs as the way to determine starters unless both are dedicated. The first way you should decide starters is who’s not skipping practice and not in trouble at school. Otherwise culture and work ethic will not change. 

7. find a way to keep track of your kids grades. Be okay with the fact they may have to come to practice late because they need to go to after school tutoring.

8. You will have one of your better kids miss an important match because they’re getting a “haircut” or a family members birthday party. Don’t lose you crap over it.

9. End practice by or before dark if possible or some parents won’t let their kids participate 

10. Right when you think they’re turning a corner and about to break out you’ll have a practice or match they flake and don’t show up to. And they won’t understand why you’re upset. Keep building and working they’ll do a little better next time.

11. if you can’t get admin to provide practice clothes. Go to Ross and buy a few pairs of cheap sweatpants and shorts/shirts for kids who forget workout clothes. 
Managers will do laundry during practice.

12. Don't let them leave competitions without turning in their competition gear. Not because they’ll steal it. But because they’ll often ruin them in the dryer at home when “washing it for you”. If you can afford it have them put numbers(as part of the sublimination)on the gear for inventory purposes.

13. have a parent text or email group. 

14. Attendance/waking up for Saturday meets will suck at first. Only schedule tournaments you know for a fact will be out by 2 or so.. or parents will pull their kids. Remember, they know nothing about wrestling culture. It just looks unnecessary and badly run when they go all day. Your kids probably wo t be ready for the bigger tournaments until year 2-4 anyway.

15. really work on and coach top wrestling 

• Fire 5

5 hours ago, Formally140 said:

1. While this applies to all coaches, especially where you are make a point be friendly with and work with the other coaches. Especially Basketball. If you become the “angry wrestling guy” you won’t get any support or anything done.

2. Actually follow through on benching kids for discipline issues. Even or especially if it costs you a couple wins. Otherwise culture won’t change.

3. Buy 2pieces. Don’t be the stubborn youth coach that thinks people who nothing about the sport won’t make because singlets seem weird at first. They do t know anything about wrestling culture or have only heard seen the crazy stories or negative stereotypes about things like weight cutting.

4. In general, but especially if coaching by yourself. Find good managers. They’ll be the difference between you making it through sane and with something done or overworked and burnt out. 

5. Make starting on time and attendance the most important part of your culture.

6. If you have the numbers, don’t do wrestle offs as the way to determine starters unless both are dedicated. The first way you should decide starters is who’s not skipping practice and not in trouble at school. Otherwise culture and work ethic will not change. 

7. find a way to keep track of your kids grades. Be okay with the fact they may have to come to practice late because they need to go to after school tutoring.

8. You will have one of your better kids miss an important match because they’re getting a “haircut” or a family members birthday party. Don’t lose you crap over it.

9. End practice by or before dark if possible or some parents won’t let their kids participate 

10. Right when you think they’re turning a corner and about to break out you’ll have a practice or match they flake and don’t show up to. And they won’t understand why you’re upset. Keep building and working they’ll do a little better next time.

11. if you can’t get admin to provide practice clothes. Go to Ross and buy a few pairs of cheap sweatpants and shorts/shirts for kids who forget workout clothes. 
Managers will do laundry during practice.

12. Don't let them leave competitions without turning in their competition gear. Not because they’ll steal it. But because they’ll often ruin them in the dryer at home when “washing it for you”. If you can afford it have them put numbers(as part of the sublimination)on the gear for inventory purposes.

13. have a parent text or email group. 

14. Attendance/waking up for Saturday meets will suck at first. Only schedule tournaments you know for a fact will be out by 2 or so.. or parents will pull their kids. Remember, they know nothing about wrestling culture. It just looks unnecessary and badly run when they go all day. Your kids probably wo t be ready for the bigger tournaments until year 2-4 anyway.

15. really work on and coach top wrestling

This deserves a pin, for sure.

All very good, very handy information.  Thank you.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

So I coach at our area's inner city school... gonna ramble here

One of the biggest things I think is understanding circumstances and the wrestlers as a coach.... For instance, I had a kid not shave before a meet so I'm a little aggravated and pull him aside, turns out no one has ever taught him to shave (he lives in a foster facility). I had another kid not making it to practice because his mom was too drunk, two dad's last season OD during season. Nuance that is needed (not saying be a players coach but also not being a hard liner) 

If you can address things that the team can provide before it even reaches the wrestlers, its a big difference (providing and washing practice gear daily, finding a business to pay for or subsidize costs, etc...) 

Some kids need wrestling and wrestling needs some kids, but drawing the line of a kid needing wrestling and a kid taking other kids down

Content needs to be relatable, to be blunt Dan Gable posters and old Iowa content do not work (or at least for us)

Showing that you are prepared helps a long way to the kids looking up to you as dependable, don't wing practices 

Give the kids something to want that isn't wrestling.. So we do a lock in, chili supper, jv buffett, a few overnights, xmas break basketball tourney, full team “field trip”, special “black team” gear for varsity at the end, etc... In the offseason, going to places they haven't been to (like kayaking, hiking, etc..) 

Kids quit when they don't get playing time in any sport, so make sure JV kids get matches, ours will get 18/20 a season

We write postcards to every incoming freshman in the summer inviting them out to wrestling, do a free two week elementary league at all of our feed elementary schools and then do a big meet at the end of it (making the high school kids coach at each of the schools before than get any end of the year awards), give out multi sport shorts for kids doing more than one sport, give out preseason shirts, etc... (we make and give away shirts for everything)

At the end of the day, wrestling is just the tool you have to impact them

• Fire 6

26 minutes ago, nick said:

So I coach at our area's inner city school... gonna ramble here

One of the biggest things I think is understanding circumstances and the wrestlers as a coach.... For instance, I had a kid not shave before a meet so I'm a little aggravated and pull him aside, turns out no one has ever taught him to shave (he lives in a foster facility). I had another kid not making it to practice because his mom was too drunk, two dad's last season OD during season. Nuance that is needed (not saying be a players coach but also not being a hard liner) 

If you can address things that the team can provide before it even reaches the wrestlers, its a big difference (providing and washing practice gear daily, finding a business to pay for or subsidize costs, etc...) 

Some kids need wrestling and wrestling needs some kids, but drawing the line of a kid needing wrestling and a kid taking other kids down

Content needs to be relatable, to be blunt Dan Gable posters and old Iowa content do not work (or at least for us)

Showing that you are prepared helps a long way to the kids looking up to you as dependable, don't wing practices 

Give the kids something to want that isn't wrestling.. So we do a lock in, chili supper, jv buffett, a few overnights, xmas break basketball tourney, full team “field trip”, special “black team” gear for varsity at the end, etc... In the offseason, going to places they haven't been to (like kayaking, hiking, etc..) 

Kids quit when they don't get playing time in any sport, so make sure JV kids get matches, ours will get 18/20 a season

We write postcards to every incoming freshman in the summer inviting them out to wrestling, do a free two week elementary league at all of our feed elementary schools and then do a big meet at the end of it (making the high school kids coach at each of the schools before than get any end of the year awards), give out multi sport shorts for kids doing more than one sport, give out preseason shirts, etc... (we make and give away shirts for everything)

At the end of the day, wrestling is just the tool you have to impact them

The point about the Dan Gable posters is especially relevant. People talk all the time about “growing wrestling”. Then act utterly bewildered when people who have no familiarity  with the sport don’t automatically just accept singlets or tournaments going till 6pm. 

I’ll restrain my rant about it though.  Everything else I agree completely. Though I can’t churn off tshirts the same way lol

First off - Good luck this season!

Having been on both sides -- wrestling in the city, and coaching for a year after college in another city -- I think a lot of people said some good stuff already, but wanted to note something:

While it is about teaching the sport of wrestling, don't think they can't win those state championships or AA's. I think the most important thing I brought with me as a coach was that I treated my athletes as if they'd win, and I was willing to go with them to whatever level was necessary for them, as they are, to win. Every other facet of life while growing up in the city has the approach of having to do more to be at the same level as everyone else, and that's no different when it comes to sports.

The kids will put in the work if they have someone believing in the work that they're doing. It might mean taking some time in the off-season to coordinate rides to club practices, or fundraising for tournaments and bus fare, or even writing up an accessible diet & workout plan, but they'll do it!

• Fire 1

If you're fortunate enough to know a young man (recent HS or college grad) who was successful at the state or national level, try to get them to come in and give the kids a "pep talk".  They could explain what can be accomplished through hard work.  A young person may be relateable for the kids.  If you don't know anyone, maybe a call to a nearby college or community college could get someone.  Maybe this could be a work study/community service credit for the young man.  They could maybe even "roll with" the kids a little bit.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

If you're fortunate enough to know a young man (recent HS or college grad) who was successful at the state or national level, try to get them to come in and give the kids a "pep talk".  They could explain what can be accomplished through hard work.  A young person may be relateable for the kids.  If you don't know anyone, maybe a call to a nearby college or community college could get someone.  Maybe this could be a work study/community service credit for the young man.  They could maybe even "roll with" the kids a little bit.

Near the end of my college career, I was asked by a good friend from HS if I would visit a grade school where his mother was teaching. Nothing too specific, just a PE class and they apparently wanted a wrestler to visit for some reason or another. I was game.

When I arrived, all those little dirt-eating grade school buggers were assembled in the gym, sitting cross legged. and surprisingly super attentive. My HS bud decided now was a good time to explain that I needed to do the rope climb and touch the ceiling without using my legs for the kids. Oh, and back down without legs, too. Not something I had ever done before, and this was not a small gym; the ceiling was not low.

I wasn't sure about it. It was high, and ropes weren't part of my workout regimen. My buddy was certain and gave me a "You can do it."

The teacher got the kids fired up to encourage me. Worked. Getting to the ceiling was easy. The way down wasn't quite as easy, but I managed to try to look cool as I landed.

The kids applauded like I was a celebrity+batman+astronaut. It was a good day - I remember it as clearly as yesterday. More than most of my wrestling matches.

If anybody is hesitant to jump in to assist with kids, I hope my story helps. I had no idea kids would connect with a rope climb like they did. You never know what will click.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I'm 25+yrs in. I'm interested to hear your thoughts...

More so things that’ll trigger people and derail the thread. 

Like the way you suddenly will start seeing and hearing a lot of casual racism when you start. The way black males get treated differently, even by those who like to show off how liberal they are. The way reffing mysteriously always goes, and all you can do is try to build good relationships with the refs so it doesn’t happen too often unless it’s a school like St Ed’s. 

and im not saying those things to look good on twitter or anything. They are simply things every coach who’s coach inner city for more than a couple years has dealt with. Whether they are the young super liberal hipster living in the gentrified neighborhood or the grizzled mostly conservative 20+ year coach who’s lives in the.. not gentrified area.

Im genuinely worried stating crap that simply does happen will derail the thread so I want I stated clearly that if people want to discuss the reason why what I talked about happen.. do it elsewhere..

As far as advice. People should think real hard about whether or not they can handle kids they put a lot into letting you down or even screwing you over. If you know you can’t deal with it and help the next kid… you might as well coach elsewhere