Tom Brands hasn’t seen anyone better than Lee

Eagle26

1 minute ago, dragit said:

Obviously wrestling fans will all be very interested to see -- and their ultimate judgment of his career will be heavily influenced by --  how he does at the senior level when he gets a chance.  He blew through the U.S. Open in 2019 and fate hasn't allowed him to wrestle there again since.  

Part of him not being able to have any senior matches in three years is due to "his decisions," which I am quite sure he will "feel good about" when his career is over; he has a strong personality, weighs information, makes decisions which he feels are right for him, and lives with them.  Kind of like an adult.

i do not disagree with any of this...

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, LJB said:

i do not disagree with any of this...

And I do not disagree that senior level is going to be a big challenge, success not by any sense guaranteed.  Looking forward to watching and fervently hoping that his knees give him a chance to take his best shot.

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

best in a niche sport in america?

or...

unarguably the best on the planet?

given your druthers, which one do you pick?

After reading what I wrote, most people wouldn't have to ask that question.

There was the view of antiquity with the earth at the center of the universe.

Then there was the Copernican heliocentrism.

Now, there is another theory about what/whom is at the center of it all.  Kudos to you, Sir.

17 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

After reading what I wrote, most people wouldn't have to ask that question.

There was the view of antiquity with the earth at the center of the universe.

Then there was the Copernican heliocentrism.

Now, there is another theory about what/whom is at the center of it all.  Kudos to you, Sir.

Well…

what I wrote was rhetorical in nature as there is only one acceptable answer… 

earth?

universe?

that thinking is as relevant as horse hair mats nowadays…

the multiverse is what the kids are into today…

personally, I prescribe to simulation theory…

On 1/26/2023 at 9:36 AM, KCMO2 said:

What if........he hadn't destroyed his knees trying to win titles for Brands.  Russians and Iranians won't hesitate to attack those hard, and if he can't make it through college without all of those injuries there's no way he'll make it long in international.

He won't need to wait for the Russians or Iranians to find no hesitation in attacking those knees. Gilman, Vito, and the rest of the US field at 57kg will be all over Spencer's knees. 

• Fire 2

53 minutes ago, LJB said:

Well…

what I wrote was rhetorical in nature as there is only one acceptable answer… 

earth?

universe?

that thinking is as relevant as horse hair mats nowadays…

the multiverse is what the kids are into today…

personally, I prescribe to simulation theory…

Glad to hear they aren't wasting their time on the metaverse...

Screenshot_20230126_203242_Chrome.jpg

With this guy.

image.png.0fd50787fe83ffd00930be9a56885b89.png

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 hours ago, LJB said:

lee is not a technical wrestler... he is a bruiser...

clearly he is talented at what he does... you can not find an actual quote where i have said anything to the contrary...

you are better than this...

you doing aight?

I actually think he’s more of a bully than bruiser. When guys don’t go away mentally and are still there, he starts struggle busing. 
Most bruisers of his caliber don’t stop when the other guy doesn’t wilt. He does

though it might be pedantic quibbling in terms 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, LJB said:

i have never seen lee wrestle a full match and not looked like he was hurting at the end...

he just rarely has ever had to push himself that hard...

yet another reason i don't see him doing many big things on the senior level...

those guys wont care how strong he is for 2 minutes...

I think it’s at the forefront of my mind because I currently have an athlete that is one of the toughest kids in the state.. for 2-3 minutes. If he can’t bully the dude and run them over. He’ll lose outside a couple matches that prove the rule. It’s exactly like watching Lee wrestle. Even the way he’ll suddenly go hard to “prove” a point to a teammate then not do it in matches. 

Lee is good. I like him. Seems like a good kid. But on the mat he’s definitely a bully 

5 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I think it’s at the forefront of my mind because I currently have an athlete that is one of the toughest kids in the state.. for 2-3 minutes. If he can’t bully the dude and run them over. He’ll lose outside a couple matches that prove the rule. It’s exactly like watching Lee wrestle. Even the way he’ll suddenly go hard to “prove” a point to a teammate then not do it in matches. 

Lee is good. I like him. Seems like a good kid. But on the mat he’s definitely a bully 

And other greats like Metcalf, Taylor, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Steveson were gentlemen on the mat?

Just now, Mr. PeanutButter said:

And other greats like Metcalf, Taylor, Zain, Nolf, Nickal, Steveson were gentlemen on the mat?

Bully as in if he can’t just run someone over or get a comfortable lead…. When the other dude is still right in it… He doesn’t seem to do as well. 

Being a gentleman or not has nothing to do with having a bully boy mentality that struggles with people still there after the initial rush..

2 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I was chatting with a friend last week…

at some point we both agreed there is a sadistic pleasure in watching an athlete break…

for a variety or reasons…

lee feels like he is always looking for that moment…

most athletes have to deal with that early in their “careers” and then find ways to move past…

im just not sure lee has ever had to do that in the context of a match or season or whatever…

the one time he absolutely got wrecked he just moved to a different weight and ended up with a world title…

he never really had to sit at home and watch his bracket without him…

Always had an injury excuse…

whatever…

i’m just not sure he is going to learn the lessons everyone else had to learn much much earlier in their careers before it is physically too late for him…

and that is a legitimate shame…

but…

a valuable lesson for anyone trying to help an athlete reach their absolute highest potential…

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

at some point we both agreed there is a sadistic pleasure in watching an athlete break…

most athletes have to deal with that early in their “careers” and then find ways to move past…

im just not sure lee has ever had to do that in the context of a match or season or whatever…

the one time he absolutely got wrecked he just moved to a different weight and ended up with a world title…

whatever…

i’m just not sure he is going to learn the lessons everyone else had to learn much much earlier in their careers before it is physically too late for him…

but…

a valuable lesson for anyone trying to help an athlete reach their absolute highest potential…

That’s why even with healthy bionic knees I don’t see him beating grown men on the international stage literally wrestling for their next meal

3 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

That’s why even with healthy bionic knees I don’t see him beating grown men on the international stage literally wrestling for their next meal

We park our cars in the same garage my friend…

and I still would not mind being 100% wrong in all of this…

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

We park our cars in the same garage my friend…

and I still would not mind being 100% wrong in all of this…

Same for my kid. His dad has even come around to the same view I have. “Damn, I hope I’m wrong, but I’m probably not, bummer”

im going to coach him like always either way

• Fire 1

I’ve told this story before on the googlewebs…

I listened to a well known “coach” for an entire season give his inspirational speech pre practice… never saw him show a lick of technique… but he was the best with a 3 minute pre practice speech… 

the one thing that really sticks in my mind was him talking about one international tourney he was at and a Soviet block wrestler had just lost… this dude was slamming his head repeatedly on the concrete because that loss meant his family no longer was taken care of… they would all be hungry…

this well known “coach” then challenged every kid in that room to practice like their family eating depended on it…

this well known “coach” also on the first day recognized the 2 kids who paid their own fees and did not have a parent that could…

these are the little things that stick with me…

I give that well known “coach” a hug every time I see him because he made an impact on me and my kids by proxy…

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, LJB said:

whatever…

but…

Christ man. His ACL has torn twice, in the middle of matches, including an NCAA final, but he hasn't had to face adversity. This thread is a true testament to arm-chair quarterbacking, lol. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Christ man. His ACL has torn twice, in the middle of matches, including an NCAA final, but he hasn't had to face adversity. This thread is a true testament to arm-chair quarterbacking, lol. 

It is a shame you are missing the point based totally on your love of a particular color singlet…

I know you are better than this but totally understand…

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I, maybe him, but I am for sure, are referring directly to matches and that every loss of his since his senior year can be blamed on things other than “that guy lined the hell up and beat me”

• Fire 1

Just now, Formally140 said:

I, maybe him, but I am for sure, are referring directly to matches and that every loss of his since his senior year can be blamed on things other than “that guy lined the hell up and beat me”

100%

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

I’ve told this story before on the googlewebs…

I listened to a well known “coach” for an entire season give his inspirational speech pre practice… never saw him show a lick of technique… but he was the best with a 3 minute pre practice speech… 

the one thing that really sticks in my mind was him talking about one international tourney he was at and a Soviet block wrestler had just lost… this dude was slamming his head repeatedly on the concrete because that loss meant his family no longer was taken care of… they would all be hungry…

this well known “coach” then challenged every kid in that room to practice like their family eating depended on it…

this well known “coach” also on the first day recognized the 2 kids who paid their own fees and did not have a parent that could…

these are the little things that stick with me…

I give that well known “coach” a hug every time I see him because he made an impact on me and my kids by proxy…

Where was the coach from or what area if you don’t mind me asking. 

34 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Bully as in if he can’t just run someone over or get a comfortable lead…. When the other dude is still right in it… He doesn’t seem to do as well. 

Being a gentleman or not has nothing to do with having a bully boy mentality that struggles with people still there after the initial rush..

Yes, if he doesn't pin or tech somebody, he is more likely to lose,  that is kind of self-evident, I'm not even sure what the analysis that is happening right now is, lol. 

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

It is a shame you are missing the point based totally on your love of a particular color singlet…

I know you are better than this but totally understand…

Dude, you're critiquing me for being biased for being an Iowa fan while making nonsensical points after admitting that you formed opinions about him from years ago.