Dark Horses

Gus

21 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

197: anyone seeded 1-16 has a shot. Dean and Warner aren't dark horses as returning finalists but they aren't far off. So I'll say Braunagel even though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't qualify either.

I agree, 197 is wild.  I am jacked to see how that plays out.  I'll throw our Beaver 197lber into that mix.  Harvey has the ability to get on a run and shock some people.

Having said that - the dark horse pickings are slim!

125 Barnett, Courtney or Cardinale?

133. Phillips or Mendez

141 who knows?

149  Paniro or Mauller 

157  Andonian or Milner 

165  Amine, Hamiti, Ramirez or Kharchla

174  Plott Romero Smith or Ruth

184  Loew Bolen or Munoz

197  Trimble Truax Warner or DePrez

285  Hendrickson Elam or Yaruslau  

(Colton Schultz would NOT be a dark horse but an underachiever IMHO)

41 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

125: #23 Jack Medley

149: #30 Jarod Verkleeren

197: #33 Cole Urbas

I am not huge on your second two choices personally (though admittedly that makes then a good darkhorse pick).  Medley is confusing to me.  He lost the starting battle to McHenry to start the season but then comes back and smokes Barnett.  Not sure if he was coming back from injury or what....

@nhs67 any ideas?

Just now, flyingcement said:

I am not huge on your second two choices personally (though admittedly that makes then a good darkhorse pick).  Medley is confusing to me.  He lost the starting battle to McHenry to start the season but then comes back and smokes Barnett.  Not sure if he was coming back from injury or what....

@nhs67 any ideas?

Yeah I’d definitely be most confident in Medley of the 3.  In part because the parity at 125 after Lee is crazy (and I wouldn’t even say it’s “weak” as some have the last couple years). Medley would be a great Cinderella story though.

Verkleeren can wrestle anyone to a 1 point match.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see him do it a few times in a row at NCAA’s.

Urbas I admittedly don’t think I had seen other than the Warner match.  But seeing what he did to Warner I could see him doing that to other guys and going on a run.  197 of course is another weight with a lot of parity

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Gus said:

I’ll throw Jore Volk’s name in the mix. True freshman that made the U20 world team and seems to be on an upward trajectory beating a tough Noah Surtin 11-1 last week. 

Not only made the U20 World team but came home with Gold

• Fire 2

• 1 month later...