Iran wrestling news

Irani

Hassan Yazdani had his shoulders operated on.  The operation took 7 hours, and they operated on three different parts of his shoulder.

Some reports forecast that he will be out for 1-2 years.

Personally, I fear that he may be finished.

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/news/475455/توپ-فوتبال-روی-کتف-حسن-یزدانی-تصویر-عجیب-پادشاه-کشتی-بعد-از

• Bob 2

Doctors are still much better at fixing elbows and knees than ball and socket joints, and you would think a wrestling nation as strong as Iran would produce a challenger to prevent Yazdani from wrestling in his 4th Olympiad under the best of circumstances.

Still, best of luck to Yazdani in his recuperation - he's been a fun watch. 

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

I am pretty stoked to get this thread here, if that is the intention.

That said, how do we see 92 KG going at Worlds, assuming we see Taylor, Ghasempour, and Sadulaev all enter?  Do we think one beats the other two or do we think we could see a A beats B beats C beats A sort of scenario?

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I will go first...

Styles make matches and with how both Snyder and Yazdani have controlled Ghasempour, I just don't see how he has anything for Sadulaev.  Mind you, that is assuming that Sadulaev is healthy.

Taylor seemed to have a bit of trouble with that underhook from Thicclay.  Mind you, he has handled Yazdani's underhook - the best in the game - for the better part of the last decade now, so I don't think that will pose him any problems at Worlds.

So right there, I think it is Ghasempour - the only one to have won 92 KG Worlds - as 0W - 2L in this theoretical round robin.

I am okay being wrong here, btw... but also consider that both Ghasempour and Sadulaev both have had some serious surgeries since they were last on the mat at Worlds/Olympics.  That could play a factor as well.

8 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Great to see this thread starting up on this board!

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

It's been going strong the last 2 years on IndianaMat.com, ever since it had to leave The Mat--but the amount of people adding anything to the discussion outside of about 5 core Iranian fans is limited there. 

• Bob 1

Hi, so Abdullah Kurbanov (Russian wrestler) was interviewed by an Iranian news agency (link below) where he claims that he relinquished his place for Abdulrashid Sadulaev for the non-olympic worlds in Tirana, Albania next month. I just want to ask some Parsi speakers if this what he actually said. Does he definitively claim that Sadulaev is wrestling in Tirana, or is it just his opinion?

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/2024/09/21/3162315/کوربانوف-یزدانی-بهترین-کشتی-گیر-بود-کامران-تیلور-را-می-برد

• Bob 2

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I will go first...

Styles make matches and with how both Snyder and Yazdani have controlled Ghasempour, I just don't see how he has anything for Sadulaev.  Mind you, that is assuming that Sadulaev is healthy.

Taylor seemed to have a bit of trouble with that underhook from Thicclay.  Mind you, he has handled Yazdani's underhook - the best in the game - for the better part of the last decade now, so I don't think that will pose him any problems at Worlds.

So right there, I think it is Ghasempour - the only one to have won 92 KG Worlds - as 0W - 2L in this theoretical round robin.

I am okay being wrong here, btw... but also consider that both Ghasempour and Sadulaev both have had some serious surgeries since they were last on the mat at Worlds/Olympics.  That could play a factor as well.

DT is also the oldest by far and the only one moving up (recently) from 86kg.  Plus DT isn't a full time wrestler anymore, even if he decides to go.  This isn't prime DT by a longshot, plus he'll be (a little) undersized...

That said I agree with you, Ghasempour is the most likely to go 0-2 in this theoretical round robin. 

14 minutes ago, Gantry said:

DT is also the oldest by far and the only one moving up (recently) from 86kg.  Plus DT isn't a full time wrestler anymore, even if he decides to go.  This isn't prime DT by a longshot, plus he'll be (a little) undersized...

That said I agree with you, Ghasempour is the most likely to go 0-2 in this theoretical round robin. 

Cons
- DT is coming up in weight, I disagree on the 'part-time' part as I guarantee you that he will have a full, proper camp.  If the version of DT we saw that pinned returning worlds medalist, a much younger (prime) and rested Valencia is out of shape, then the in-shape version is going to be a world beater.
- Sadulaev could be considerably older.  We'll never actually know.  He is also coming off what used to be considered career ending surgery
- Ghasempour is also coming off what used to be considered career ending surgery.

DT hasn't had any career ending surgery aside for the whooping that got put on him by Brooks at OTT.

I agree on the size thing, though.  He is smaller.  Albeit, Ghasempour was 86 KG and forced out.  Sadulaev has been 97 KG and got CHONKY, so dropping back down to 92 KG (~202lbs) for the first time since 2016 Olympics (in which he was 86 KG) might not go so well for him.

• Bob 2
  • Jagger 1

46 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Cons
- DT is coming up in weight, I disagree on the 'part-time' part as I guarantee you that he will have a full, proper camp.  If the version of DT we saw that pinned returning worlds medalist, a much younger (prime) and rested Valencia is out of shape, then the in-shape version is going to be a world beater.
- Sadulaev could be considerably older.  We'll never actually know.  He is also coming off what used to be considered career ending surgery
- Ghasempour is also coming off what used to be considered career ending surgery.

DT hasn't had any career ending surgery aside for the whooping that got put on him by Brooks at OTT.

I agree on the size thing, though.  He is smaller.  Albeit, Ghasempour was 86 KG and forced out.  Sadulaev has been 97 KG and got CHONKY, so dropping back down to 92 KG (~202lbs) for the first time since 2016 Olympics (in which he was 86 KG) might not go so well for him.

Great post.  Agreed with pretty much everything, but also remember DT having a significant knee injury at BTS.  

I personally chalk up a bit of DT's OTT's performance to not being in it mentally but more so I think 86kg may just not be his optimal weight anymore at his age. Ghasempour is a 92kg guy but only because he could not be Yaz I do not expect a big size discrepancy there. What will be interesting is how Sadulaev looks at 92kg. For Taylor to beat him I think its going to need to be a match where he is very offensive and is ok going down early to give himself a chance to run down sadulaev late. In his Russian nationals finals match sadulaev looked tired and very little wrestling occurred. Its probably blind optimism but Im going 

DT: Gold
Sadulaev: silver
Ghasmepour: Bronze

what will add a bit of a wrinkle to all of this is if Atimukhan comes down. This kid jumped levels like I have never seen in a few months last year when he won senior worlds. at the ranking series in July he lost to finesilver 8-2 and Zahid 10-0. Two months later and he pretty much blitzed the field at senior worlds. He lost to Taz this year 4-2 and has wrestled the entire year up at 97kg including where he won the u20 title (shoutout Radamacher for being the only guy to not get teched by him). Im not even sure if we see him down at 92kg here but I think his rate of improvement coupled with a few guys that are getting long in the tooth makes him someone to talk about if nothing else.

28 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I personally chalk up a bit of DT's OTT's performance to not being in it mentally but more so I think 86kg may just not be his optimal weight anymore at his age. Ghasempour is a 92kg guy but only because he could not be Yaz I do not expect a big size discrepancy there. What will be interesting is how Sadulaev looks at 92kg. For Taylor to beat him I think its going to need to be a match where he is very offensive and is ok going down early to give himself a chance to run down sadulaev late. In his Russian nationals finals match sadulaev looked tired and very little wrestling occurred. Its probably blind optimism but Im going 

what will add a bit of a wrinkle to all of this is if Atimukhan comes down. This kid jumped levels like I have never seen in a few months last year when he won senior worlds. at the ranking series in July he lost to finesilver 8-2 and Zahid 10-0. Two months later and he pretty much blitzed the field at senior worlds. He lost to Taz this year 4-2 and has wrestled the entire year up at 97kg including where he won the u20 title (shoutout Radamacher for being the only guy to not get teched by him). Im not even sure if we see him down at 92kg here but I think his rate of improvement coupled with a few guys that are getting long in the tooth makes him someone to talk about if nothing else.

The other potential factor is if all three are on the same side, or who fits where.  DT could beat both enroute, and they wrestle for Bronze.  DT could beat Sadulaev then lose to Ghasempour, which would make it so Sadulaev doesn't even wrestle for a medal.

19 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Aitmukhan hasn't competed below 97kg since worlds last year. Before this thread moved here, other Iranians were commenting on how huge Aitmukhan looked at 97kg at U20s. Seems he took a while to mature physically. That could be why he jumped levels so fast last year--and could mean we won't see him at 92kg again. 

• Brain 2

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Aitmukhan hasn't competed below 97kg since worlds last year. Before this thread moved here, other Iranians were commenting on how huge Aitmukhan looked at 97kg at U20s. Seems he took a while to mature physically. That could be why he jumped levels so fast last year--and could mean we won't see him at 92kg again. 

It would be badass to see nonetheless.

On 9/23/2024 at 12:00 PM, nhs67 said:

That said, how do we see 92 KG going at Worlds, assuming we see Taylor, Ghasempour, and Sadulaev all enter?  Do we think one beats the other two or do we think we could see a A beats B beats C beats A sort of scenario?

I have been dreaming about a Ghassempour/DT match for years now.  In Iran, after DT dominated Yazdani, there was lots of debate about sending Ghassempour instead of Yazdani.  I have a hard time predicting the result, but tend towards predicting an upset by Ghassempour against DT.

Let's hope the match actually happens.  there are a few issues

1. Will the Albanians issue visas to the Iranians this time?
  2. Will Sad be allowed by WTT to wrestle
  3. Will DT get time off from his job to wrestle

If all of the above happens, I hope the brackets work out that we see all three wrestle each other.  That would mean all three would have to be on one side of the bracket

• Fire 1

On 9/24/2024 at 4:02 AM, Shibboleth said:

Hi, so Abdullah Kurbanov (Russian wrestler) was interviewed by an Iranian news agency (link below) where he claims that he relinquished his place for Abdulrashid Sadulaev for the non-olympic worlds in Tirana, Albania next month. I just want to ask some Parsi speakers if this what he actually said. Does he definitively claim that Sadulaev is wrestling in Tirana, or is it just his opinion?

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/2024/09/21/3162315/کوربانوف-یزدانی-بهترین-کشتی-گیر-بود-کامران-تیلور-را-می-برد

He says Sadulaev is very ready, and hopeful that he will wrestle in Albania

• Bob 1
  • Jagger 1

On 9/23/2024 at 2:00 PM, nhs67 said:

I think Sad wins it going away if he's healthy.

I don't think he was healthy vs Taz in that last WC and I think he'd have won the Olympics...but we'll see. 

• Bob 1

On 9/28/2024 at 8:34 PM, GrandOlm said:

I think for this thread to work you'd need at least 3 active users who follow Iranian wrestling media. 

This thread has been running for many years with thousands of posts--fueled by multiple Iranians who follow Iranian media. @Irani just moved it here a few days ago from the previous spot that it was hosted at IndianaMat.com for the last 2 years. Before that it ran for a long time on TheMat.com forums before they were dissolved. There just hasn't been much going on yet for the other Iranian regulars to hop back on.

Below is a link if you want to look at the 3,000+ posts from the past 2 years. A few decent discussion points from recent U17s and U20s--and obviously plenty of discussion during the Olympics.

https://indianamat.com/index.php?/forums/topic/62268-iran-wrestling-news/#comments

Edited by maligned
  • Fire 1

Not Iran wrestling news, but Sadulaev is wrestling off for the 92 KG spot tomorrow for Russia.

Ghasempour - Sadulaev, Taylor all in one bracket seems criminal.

What's interesting is that all three have never won Worlds/Olympics at the same time, despite owning most of the last 6 or so years of Golds at 86, 92, and 97 KG...