Ben Askren - If you are high schooler who wants to go to Iowa, don't

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

Revenue is kind of beside the point.  A handful of schools decided long before these particular transfers, and NIL in general, that winning a national title in wrestling is really important to them and they are willing to spend millions of dollars to try and do it.  David Taylor has an annual salary of $1MM, so OSU is willing to spend over $1MM on coaches's salaries.  Iowa is set to pay Tom Brands $700k this year, whilst Terry Brands is making $400k. Iowa is also spending over $1MM on coaches's salaries.  I am sure PSU has a similar coaching budget.  From a profit-loss standpoint I don't know that those salaries are justified by the revenue the programs generate any more than paying wrestlers $100-$500k to transfer.  Coaches are getting far more from this arrangement than the schools are wouldn't you say?

I agree coaches are getting a lot.  Some at least.

I agree athletes are getting a lot.  Some at least.

I agree that schools aren't really getting anything other than whatever prestige comes with winning wrestling matches.

I think if wrestling coaches and wrestlers are being rewarded, that's great.  And if they are getting rewarded financially while not really producing anything financially, that's incredible.

33 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I agree coaches are getting a lot.  Some at least.

I agree athletes are getting a lot.  Some at least.

I agree that schools aren't really getting anything other than whatever prestige comes with winning wrestling matches.

I think if wrestling coaches and wrestlers are being rewarded, that's great.  And if they are getting rewarded financially while not really producing anything financially, that's incredible.

My wife is a teacher, you must think that is incredible.

• Bob 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

15 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Also one for time for the people in the back, 500k isn't confirmed so that postulation ain't worth jack, and there's a big difference between a cash payment and a combination of tuition/board/books/incentives/post-grad opportunities. 

Willie said it was $500k for each of Teemer and Buchanan

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Willie said it was $500k for each of Teemer and Buchanan

6 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Willie is being fed lies

If Woods was worth $500k wouldn't Buchanan & Teemer be worth it too?  Also don't forget our rapid inflation.  

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

No. I've only been told that the rumors are overblown. Either the rumors are false or My Dear Good Friend is lying to me 😢

I choose to trust my Friend 

Does your dear good friend have direct contact with Teemer, Buchanan or Bob Niccols?

1 hour ago, alex1fly said:

You all are saying some weird stuff. 

If I say Buchanan got 50 million dollars to transfer, it’s not on you to prove that I’m wrong. It’s on me to cite my source for my claim so others can vet the info.

So the owner of this site isn’t a trusted source?

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

The owner of this site creates post' titled, Climate Hoax...:classic_dry:

You are right. If it wasn't for man, we would still have rain forest in Arizona and glaciers in Michigan. I just have a hard time understanding why CO2 was 20 times higher 500K years ago. I guess that was before we had catalytic converters on our cars.

16 minutes ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

You are right. If it wasn't for man, we would still have rain forest in Arizona and glaciers in Michigan. I just have a hard time understanding why CO2 was 20 times higher 500K years ago. I guess that was before we had catalytic converters on our cars.

drive in take out

img_2827.gif?w=768

4 hours ago, MPhillips said:

The owner of this site creates post' titled, Climate Hoax...:classic_dry:

He’s a trusted source for wrestling news, not necessarily political opinions.  Although he might be closer to correct than not on that one…

• Bob 1
  • Jagger 1

26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I?  Are you the source?

No, sorry. Didn't mean to confuse. My DGF is the one who says he knows things. Separately, I made the long drive to IC yesterday to watch practice and, hopefully, learn some things and speak to the transfers. I didn't get to speak to any wrestlers and the only things I learned are that Kale Peterson is looking svelte, and Nelson Brands has not skipped on any protein shakes. 

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

No, sorry. Didn't mean to confuse. My DGF is the one who says he knows things. Separately, I made the long drive to IC yesterday to watch practice and, hopefully, learn some things and speak to the transfers. I didn't get to speak to any wrestlers and the only things I learned are that Kale Peterson is looking svelte, and Nelson Brands has not skipped on any protein shakes. 

Did you stop at the banks to see if there's been any recent lage deposits?  💰    😉

• Ionel 1

39 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He’s a trusted source for wrestling news, not necessarily political opinions.  Although he might be closer to correct than not on that one…

MP dragging nonwrestling junk into the wrestling forum.  There's a Zoo for that sort of folk.  Bob get on it!  🤨

• Ionel 1

On 9/6/2024 at 7:40 PM, boconnell said:

It isn't that transactional in education.  Universities are allowed to give as many academic scholarships as they please and certainly there is a cost in doing offering them.  They can only accommodate so many students in a given year so allowing some to attend for free mean a paying student cannot attend and it doesn't guarantee the University will receive anything of value in return.  Still almost all do this.

The issue was that in the old days many Universities decided that they would only allow one another to compensate wrestling athletes up to tuition, room, board, books and nominal amount more and that you could only do this for 9.9 wrestlers.  This allowed the schools that really valued having the best wrestling team to get prestige or whatever at less than a fair market rate.  In an open market the best recruit would surely be more valuable than the 50th best, but under the old system they would both receive the same compensation.  You can see this in coaches's compensation.   The 50th best coach is compensated less than the best coach.  All coaches across all sports were probably making more than they otherwise would have because of the restriction on paying players.

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Did you stop at the banks to see if there's been any recent lage deposits?  💰    😉

I know you're being funny but I'll share my concluding thoughts:

We went from 50k for Woods a few years ago to now having multiple wrestlers each being offered more than a coach's salary, allegedly. Does that smell right to you? When something sounds too weird to be true, I think there's a good chance that it's not. So when my Dear Good Friend assured me that this whole business about 500k was bologna I felt confident in finally calling it what I thought it was from the start: a sh!t s@ndwich

14 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I know you're being funny but I'll share my concluding thoughts:

We went from 50k for Woods a few years ago to now having multiple wrestlers each being offered more than a coach's salary, allegedly. Does that smell right to you? When something sounds too weird to be true, I think there's a good chance that it's not. So when my Dear Good Friend assured me that this whole business about 500k was bologna I felt confident in finally calling it what I thought it was from the start: a sh!t s@ndwich

I thought the rumored number for Woods was $100k.  If a wrestling scholarship is not available, which there might not be for transfers which come in after the season ends, $100k isn't exactly buku dollars.  Usually scholarship dollars are given to incoming freshman who are mostly all committed before NCAAs, so there might not be scholarship dollars soon offer in April and I'd be really shocked there was some available in August unless the departures freed up some money.  Scholarship monies are not taxed, but if some dude is going to pay you $100k for a couple appearances or something, you'll owe state and federal taxes possibly self employment tax on top of that.  Then Iowa will charge you tuition, room, board, books, ect which for an out of state student is nearly $50k.

$500k is more than the salary of some coaches, but not Tom Brands who is set to make $700k this season.  Coaches are also employees who receive a variety of benefits a wrestler getting $500k from a booster does not.  I think even Terry's $400k as an employee is better than the rumored deal Buchanan received.