Weird video (in reference to Starocci and separately, youth wrestlers)

1) Claiming that Starocci is getting $1.2-$1.3 million this year.  Weird how the kid jumps in to correct the coach

2) Club coach telling all his wrestlers they should get held back (and the club was the one that posted this to social media)

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

That's a bargain if Iowa is paying $500,000 for Kyle Parco.

Points at NCAA’s last season:

Starocci 20

Buchanan 17

Teemer 17

Parco 11

Seems like Iowa is getting more points per $ in this hypothetical

21 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Guy's an idiot.  He uses the only (possible) 5x NCAA champ ever as a reason why kids should get held back.  Guessing this douche doesn't have kids.

you realize hes being facetious right?

• Brain 1

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Points at NCAA’s last season:

Starocci 20

Buchanan 17

Teemer 17

Parco 11

Seems like Iowa is getting more points per $ in this hypothetical

Yes but being able to claim a NCAA Champion is worth a lot more than just saying you had an All-American.

18 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

you realize hes being facetious right?

Umm, don't think so.  Not when he's talking to a bunch of kids who don't get it.  And if he is, then he's a bigger idiot than I originally thought.

23 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Umm, don't think so.  Not when he's talking to a bunch of kids who don't get it.  And if he is, then he's a bigger idiot than I originally thought.

good lord...do you believe everything you read on the internet as undisputable fact? hes joking with the kids. the parents are in the room

yall get bent out of shape or the weirdest things

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

good lord...do you believe everything you read on the internet as undisputable fact? hes joking with the kids. the parents are in the room

Didn't read it, saw it.  And do you really joke like that with younger kids?  And why the hell would a club post that to social media?  If he's joking then so be it, but he needs to catch a clue either way, and so do you.

• Bob 1

53 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

I’m not sure I follow.  He appears to be “joking” in the sense that he probably doesn’t really think every single kid in the room should get held back, but he certainly seems to be saying that it will benefit your wrestling career 

@TNwrestling

I also didn't get the impression he was joking about the overarching point he was making, even if some of the hyperboles within were intentional for comedy ("my advice today is to get held back").  

Maybe you know him better than we do - but genuinely curious what gave you the impression he wasn't being serious.  It is easy for snippets of things to be caught out of context and appear misleadingly bad.  If this is one of those cases, enlighten us.  

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

@TNwrestling

I also didn't get the impression he was joking about the overarching point he was making, even if some of the hyperboles within were intentional for comedy ("my advice today is to get held back").  

Maybe you know him better than we do - but genuinely curious what gave you the impression he wasn't being serious.  It is easy for snippets of things to be caught out of context and appear misleadingly bad.  If this is one of those cases, enlighten us.  

He wasn’t.  Here he is on x defending it:

Honestly the most dumb thing he said in the video was probably that he thinks the 30 scholarship thing will actually lead to more total scholarships being available

42 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He wasn’t.  Here he is on x defending it:

Honestly the most dumb thing he said in the video was probably that he thinks the 30 scholarship thing will actually lead to more total scholarships being available

Was he RBYs coach ?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Yeah, this guy is is definitely not joking at all.. He is 100% serious.

17 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Are you talking about the $1.3M, because in that case he might be being facetious.    But the criticism for why this coach is an idiot is because he telling, in a serious manner, all of his kids they should be held back. 

I doubt every kid he called out by name is a future D1 AA so that extra year isn't going to help most of those kids in the long run.  I have never heard of this guy so I doubt if he had one more year of eligibility and all the sudden his life is different.   Perhaps spend more time trying to get your kids better at wrestling and life than trying to facilitate 19 year old seniors. 

8 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Are you talking about the $1.3M, because in that case he might be being facetious.    But the criticism for why this coach is an idiot is because he telling, in a serious manner, all of his kids they should be held back. 

I doubt every kid he called out by name is a future D1 AA so that extra year isn't going to help most of those kids in the long run.  I have never heard of this guy so I doubt if he had one more year of eligibility and all the sudden his life is different.   Perhaps spend more time trying to get your kids better at wrestling and life than trying to facilitate 19 year old seniors. 

Ben Askren, a pretty good wrestler and coach, doesn't seem to be a fan of holding kids back.  I know he definitely feels NOT being held back helped him in the long run.  His belief is that graduating on time gave him quicker access to tougher training partners, D1 competition, D1 training and facilities, and D1 coaching (although he had a great high school coach.)  He felt that getting all that stuff a year earlier (actually on time) put him ahead of many of his contemporaries.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Yea - I thought this too. He's calling out kids who were not held back and saying they should have been. I don't think anyone would do that unless they were joking.

Or maybe he's half-joking; like he sees the value in holding back but is exaggerating here for laughs?

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

I have never heard of this guy so I doubt if he had one more year of eligibility and all the sudden his life is different.

Brakan Mead.  I’m sure it did help him in particular especially if he got any scholarship money.  Looks like he won a state title as a senior at 113, then wrestled 2 years at Ohio State getting a few starts, with his best win being over Jack Medley.

It probably helps the guys the most that are on the borderline of being D1 or not.  Not sure it makes much difference for the elite guys though.