Should NCAA wrestling adopt all or some freestyle rules?

Should NCAA wrestling adopt all or some freestyle rules?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCAA wrestling adopt all or some freestyle rules?

• Yes — NCAA wrestling should adopt all freestyle rules
    • Yes — NCAA wrestling should adopt some freestyle rules
    • No — NCAA wrestling should stick with folkstyle

1 minute ago, billyhoyle said:

So when more d1 schools drop wrestling, will you keep saying there’s no problem or will you switch to arguing that there’s nothing we could have done?

Viewership is not down for all college sports. Look up numbers for lacrosse, baseball, and women’s basketball. Sports that adapt are thriving-those that don’t are dying.

“Let’s keep doing what we are doing even though people aren’t watching as much anymore.” Do you not care that the sport is becoming less popular?

The skill gap isn’t the problem-the problem is that technique has evolved in a way that leads to decreased action. The solution is to change the incentive structure to favor action. 

Bro i literally gave an idea i think would help increase scores and excitement in my first post you quoted. So wtf are you on about? That i think your sloppy exposure rule sucks? Too bad, it sucks and it doesnt fit american folkstyle. I also think focusing more on duels and less on tournaments would be helpful. More duels, more controlled back points. Do i think that will make viewership go up? Not by much or at all but neither will your dumb idea.

2 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Bro i literally gave an idea i think would help increase scores and excitement in my first post you quoted. So wtf are you on about? That i think your sloppy exposure rule sucks? Too bad, it sucks and it doesnt fit american folkstyle. I also think focusing more on duels and less on tournaments would be helpful. More duels, more controlled back points. Do i think that will make viewership go up? Not by much or at all but neither will your dumb idea.

“Bro,” your rule suggestion is to have a 6 point nearfall? You think counting to 6 is going to create more action than incentivizing throws and Dake Bombs? 

There seems to be a fervent belief that switching from folk to free will somehow save American college wrestling from itself. Maybe, maybe not. Nobody has done that so anyone is just guessing. Freestyle wrestling isn't a top American or global sport.

There are things that could be done, and have been done, to make NCAA wrestling more exciting. The improvement in production quality, good commentators, and wrestling media is a big one that's made following wrestling MORE exciting in the last couple of years. Y'all hate on Flo but they changed the game in getting wrestlers and wrestling fans together and plugged into a community. ESPN+ and BTN do a great job as well. Shorter matches, shorter review times, more duals and fewer tournaments, round robin duals, combining duals with high school teams, combining men's and women's wrestling events, and doing exhibition style events would be some other steps that IMO would make NCAA wrestling more exciting. Also if you want to attract casual fans, lose the singlets.

Edited by alex1fly
  • Bob 1

3 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

“Bro,” your rule suggestion is to have a 6 point nearfall? You think counting to 6 is going to create more action than incentivizing throws and Dake Bombs? 

I think 6 point nearfall incetivizes turns and thus people will work for them more and maybe even get more pins. So yes. I think it will be more exciting than scoring slop. And if you can throw him and hold him on his back its 9 points but you have to have control and hold him there. Not just flippiant nonsense scoring that results in no control. So my idea also icentivizes better more technical throwing than yours.

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Watch folkstyle matches from the 80s. Then watch the matches from today. Do you really think the product that is folkstyle is getting better for fans? I think it is getting less exciting with less action.

so what rules were in place then, that have changed which make it less exciting?

or is it just coaches who preach defense and caution?

or is it that we have the disaparity in recruiting?

i think the last few years have been great. teh tourney is not exciting b/c PSU is so far ahead talent wise.

which is why the sport is less exciting in my book.

indy duals are great when the teams are evenly matched. 

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2024 at 6:26 PM, billyhoyle said:

The best wrestlers in MMA have been Cormier, Cejudo, and Khabib, so the answer to your question is freestyle. 

Chael disagrees with you