Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

Did the ref mess up a grounding call?  Could've sworn it should've been a point for Spencer.  Not taking anything away from Higuchi.  Spencer wrestled a great match

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Lee's strength stopped Higuchi's quickness on that low single. Match came down to one of the greatest scrambles in an Olympic final. A scramble that happened super quickly, but my brain processed, "Advantage Lee, Advantage Higuchi, Advantage Lee, Advantage Higuchi." Crazy stuff. I am entertained. 

• Bob 3

Just now, PortaJohn said:

Did the ref mess up a grounding call?  Could've sworn it should've been a point for Spencer.  Not taking anything away from Haguchi.  Spencer wrestled a great match

I like the way the refs have been calling out of bounds this week. I think these situations were officiated well.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Did Lee wrestle not to lose?  He didn't let it fly like he did in all his other matches (obviously Hig is a different animal).  Nothing worse than losing than losing and knowing you didn't leave it all on the mat

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

Great match.  Heart breaks for Spencer though.  I wonder if he will still be the guy for 2028.

If he stays healthy!

Plenty of depth, and some young guys are promising.

Just now, Cowboy08 said:

Did Lee wrestle not to lose?  He didn't let it fly like he did in all his other matches (obviously Hig is a different animal).  Nothing worse than losing than losing and knowing you didn't leave it all on the mat

He did, Higuchi is just really freaking good. His resume speaks for itself.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, Cowboy08 said:

I don’t think he wrestled not to lose, but I think he wrestled to make sure he didn’t blink and Hig had locked up a leg lace and turned him 4 straight times. I thought the gameplan was great to slow down Hig. I think those guys could wrestle 100 times and each win 50. Just sucks one of Spencer’s 50 losses was in the gold medal match. 

2 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

They were just very evenly matched in my opinion. Spencer almost got the hip and angle on a couple of those go behind attempts and then the one td was a back and forth exchange.