Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

12 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Shades of another Iowa 125. Not a great example of sportsmanship. 

I honestly feel for the guy but he has to know people are watching , especially the young people who look up to him. The article also indicated he initially walked past the press crew coming off the mat then later came back to speak with them. Not a good look anywhere, especially in front of an international audience.

4 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I honestly feel for the guy but he has to know people are watching , especially the young people who look up to him. The article also indicated he initially walked past the press crew coming off the mat then later came back to speak with them. Not a good look anywhere, especially in front of an international audience.

Call us when you experience a brutal loss on the biggest stage in front of the entire world

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

25 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Stomped Femke Bol into the ground. That was awesome.

For all of the hype of a "rivalry", it's pretty one sided and Bol hasn't been anywhere near her the last two Olympics.

Femke Bol is a great runner but Syd is a once in 50 years kinda athlete. Only Father Time will defeat her.

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Rassling said:

I found the article and his quotes are worse than I had anticipated. He shows no respect for what a 2nd place finish means and, worse, imo he disrespected Higuchi. 

He implied Higuchi barely wrestled and he (Lee) should have, could have, would have won with just a little more effort. Poor form 

• Bob 2
  • Clown 2

I’m willing to bet that he goes for 2028. He’s a fierce competitor on the same level as Jordan and Kobe. As we can all see, silver is eating him up. I don’t think he’s willing to walk away from the sport without at least giving himself another shot at gold.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I found the article and his quotes are worse than I had anticipated. He shows no respect for what a 2nd place finish means and, worse, imo he disrespected Higuchi. 

He implied Higuchi barely wrestled and he (Lee) should have, could have, would have won with just a little more effort. Poor form 

That is how champions think. Being happy for second place when you have trained for the pinnacle of your aspirations SHOULD leave you unhappy.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 2
  • Clown 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Just now, bnwtwg said:

That is how champions think. Being happy for second place when you have trained for the pinnacle of your aspirations SHOULD leave you unhappy.

I have no problem competing to win, but the public disdain for both your own 2nd and the Champion's 1rst after you lost to him is poor form. It was for McDonough and it is for Lee.

• Brain 1

25 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Call us when you experience a brutal loss on the biggest stage in front of the entire world

I accept that —- but emotions need to always be in check in any situation, regardless.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Yazdani conceded his gold-medal match and seemed to genuinely congratulate his opponent. 

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 1

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

hope the hell you’re not a coach or in charge of others in any way. You have to be young with an idiotic comment like that. 

• Clown 1

13 minutes ago, 4xJVchamp said:

I’m willing to bet that he goes for 2028. He’s a fierce competitor on the same level as Jordan and Kobe. As we can all see, silver is eating him up. I don’t think he’s willing to walk away from the sport without at least giving himself another shot at gold.

I’ve been in and out of this kids corner since watching him at regionals and states. Today he’s much more mature and confident in himself and you can see that during his interviews. He should ride the success of silver and begin a new journey involving coaching or something. He should forget about 2028 and I bet he does.

• Clown 1

16 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I don't think anybody gets to the gold medal match by reveering 2nd place. 

He's an intense competitor in an intense sport who just had another one of his life's goal crushed. You expect him to be skipping and grinning during the medal ceremony? 

Spencer has always been very hard on himself. As a fan, I wish he wasn't. I think your 2nd paragraph features a bit of projection. I'm looking at his words right now and he plainly says he was disappointed with his lack of action and that he (Spencer) didn't deserve to him. How do you interpret that to mean that the guy that did get his hand raised didn't deserve to win? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Coming from a guy that regularly loses his cool over an emoji reaction on an internet forum, that's rich, to say the least. 

Nah it’s more than that. You wouldn’t understand. He’s garbage to me and I understand what motivates a big shot like this to bully those he feels are beneath him. 

• Clown 1

14 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Nah it’s more than that. You wouldn’t understand. He’s garbage to me and I understand what motivates a big shot like this to bully those he feels are beneath him. 

I've never seen MP write something nasty or mean unless it was to point out the ridiculousness of another poster. 

Recently you wrote that the wrestling that mattered finally started. I get not being into greco or women's freestyle but that comment was supremely disrespectful to the fans and competitors of those sports and is more of a "bully" thing to do than any of the minor lights that you get yourself so worked up about. 

Why is this getting so...contentious? The kid lost again when he was at the precipice of an achievement that would have put him in a particularly unique class. It has to be gut-wrenching. Finals in HS, NCAAs going for his 4th and the Olympics.

Just...cut the young man a little slack. He didn't flip anyone off or take a shit on the flag, he was just disappointed with the result. I get it. The US has had a brutal Olympics(but also somehow...pretty successful I guess). 

• Bob 2
  • Brain 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, pawrestler said:

Link to the interview for people interested 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/09/olympics-wrestling-spencer-lee-iowa-silver/74742048007/

Bummer of a thing to read but understand his feelings of course. Hope in time he realizes this was still a very impressive performance

Wow that is sad. With the heat Cael has taken so far, I’ll add a compliment… he definitely gets his guys to focus on more than just wins and losses

6 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I've never seen MP write something nasty or mean unless it was to point out the ridiculousness of another poster. 

Recently you wrote that the wrestling that mattered finally started. I get not being into greco or women's freestyle but that comment was supremely disrespectful to the fans and competitors of those sports and is more of a "bully" thing to do than any of the minor lights that you get yourself so worked up about. 

Supremely disrespectful? C’mon man - that’s ridiculous. It’s was never intended to be so. Don’t I have a right to my own opinion?  Wrestling that mattered to me “finally started” - yes, that’s it. I had no idea some took it in any other way. The last 2 days were fun for me here, even without access to live wrestling. A lot you guys went the extra yard to share play by play for those without access. Happens once every four years so I’m glad I got to participate. Sorry to tick some off. Wasn’t my intention I assure you.

Spencer is actually a very reasonable guy, but he feels he needs to live up to the Terry Brands poor sport persona as depicted in the Flo documentary.   He feels he needs to act out to please Tom & Terry to show what a fierce competitor he is.  It's all a show.

• Potato 1

1 hour ago, pawrestler said:

Link to the interview for people interested 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/09/olympics-wrestling-spencer-lee-iowa-silver/74742048007/

Bummer of a thing to read but understand his feelings of course. Hope in time he realizes this was still a very impressive performance

Hard to blame Spencer for feeling the way he does right now. How many times is he going to steamroll everyone in his path only to come up a little short on the biggest stage? That has to eat away at your humanity. Meanwhile, most of us would kill to have Spencer's record. Wrestling is just a really really tough sport.

I hope he takes some time to get himself sorted and that he's got some mileage left for an LA run. Maybe winning a World title in the meantime will lessen the sting. I hope he's still got the fire going.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1