NIL collectives are the new cops

Read a story on The Athletic about the Georgia collective fining players for driving violations.

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart:

"But if people go say 'Well, it falls on deaf ears, you got to discipline someone.' Well, we have, and we will continue to do so. If the actions require that, we'll do what's necessary to do that. But I do think the effective way in curtailing some things is when you go to their wallet and you fine them because these fines have been substantial, and it'll make you think twice about the mistakes you make."

What fines can we set up for wrestlers? Failing to finish a shot will cost ya $10. Didn't secure the riding time point? Another $10. Can't get off bottom? That's $15.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

$20 fine for disingenuous posts on Intermat.

Dang, I owe $20!

In all seriousness with some of the money these kids are getting, it makes some sense. Though most NIL recipients are not making very much.

Edited by alex1fly
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Read a story on The Athletic about the Georgia collective fining players for driving violations.

"But if people go say 'Well, it falls on deaf ears, you got to discipline someone.' Well, we have, and we will continue to do so. If the actions require that, we'll do what's necessary to do that. But I do think the effective way in curtailing some things is when you go to their wallet and you fine them because these fines have been substantial, and it'll make you think twice about the mistakes you make."

What fines can we set up for wrestlers? Failing to finish a shot will cost ya $10. Didn't secure the riding time point? Another $10. Can't get off bottom? That's $15.

Flipping off your own fans $17.25, double flip off $34.50 but throw in degree of difficulty of full splits and only $29.50.  

• Brain 2

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

$20 for not getting the extra bonus point! 

More in from the NIL front via The Athletic:

College Basketball Average NIL Budgets

Low-Majors: $80,000
Mid-Majors: $291,687
Mid-Major+: $750,000
High-Majors:$3,525,000

So, for a 13 man roster a high-major (defined as Big Ten, SEC, Big 12,ACC, and Big East) would have an average annual NIL payment of $271,150. My guess is a #1 scoring option would get about $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 of that budget. A #2 option is probably in the $750,000 to $1,000,000 range. That leaves $1,775,000 to $1,025,000 for the other 11 guys.

I have expressed my skepticism that wrestlers are getting $250k or more per year. This only makes me more skeptical. On the other hand, almost all of the basketball payments are coming from collectives. That allows for central(ish) planning and less control by any one individual donor. If wrestling NIL is driven by a single donor, then maybe there are a handful of big deals available to a select few depending on just how passionate that single donor is. And by passionate I mean rich.

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What do you mean by it?

How do they enforce fines? They are not a court. Don't have subpoenas and abstracts of Judment to file leins on these guys stuff.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

18 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

How do they enforce fines? They are not a court. Don't have subpoenas and abstracts of Judment to file leins on these guys stuff.

I assume they are paying these guys monthly, or twice a month, or something like that rather than a lump sum. Then they can just dock their NIL payments for the amount of the fine.

• Bob 1

On 7/20/2024 at 8:50 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I assume they are paying these guys monthly, or twice a month, or something like that rather than a lump sum. Then they can just dock their NIL payments for the amount of the fine.

Another "full employment for lawyers" decision.

When they try it with the wrong kid they will be in court.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.