Iowa will need the transfer portal

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Any team except PSU would probably love to “implode” to third place after losing a 3x champ to injury.

What 3x champ did Iowa lose to injury?

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Lol.  Yes Glazier had a bad tournament, but he did show development.

Looking at Flo’s 2021 recruiting class rankings, Figueroa was #1 and Ayala #5, and if I’m not mistaken they are the only 2 on the whole list who have made an NCAA final so far (and there were 2 PSU guys ranked ahead of Ayala).

Glazier’s best win was over Jaxon Smith (0-time AA in two tries), and his best result was a 5-1 loss to Aaron Brooks.

Yes, that’s exactly my point on Ayala. A top 5 recruit should be able to make an NCAA final by their third college season. He also had losses to DeAug (2x) and Brandon Kaylor.

I’m not saying they haven’t improved. But guys will get better as they get older/stronger/faster/wiser/smarter/etc., regardless of what big time college program they go to. I’m not sure I’d look at these two as examples of guys that Tom and Terry have “developed”. 

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

We’re talking about the 2021-2022 season, correct?

Ah. That season. My apologies. 

That said, load management, recovery, fitness management (aka, peaking) and all of the other portions of training an athlete are still the coaching staff's responsibility. If your marquee athlete is injury prone, you need to recognize that, and do what it takes to get him to the finish line. Not continue to pound his body into submission. 

12 minutes ago, Le duke said:

That said, load management, recovery, fitness management (aka, peaking) and all of the other portions of training an athlete are still the coaching staff's responsibility. If your marquee athlete is injury prone, you need to recognize that, and do what it takes to get him to the finish line. Not continue to pound his body into submission. 

It is a brutal sport and injuries happen. Injuries even happen to (gasp!) Penn State (SVN, Robbie Howard, Starrocci). 

• Bob 1

57 minutes ago, Gus said:

It is a brutal sport and injuries happen. Injuries even happen to (gasp!) Penn State (SVN, Robbie Howard, Starrocci). 

Kerk also seems to have similar knee issues as Spencer Lee, with 1/3 the number of titles in the same number of tournaments.  

Not to mention “pound his body into submission” is an interesting way to describe a guy that never wrestled more than 20 matches before the postseason…

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It doesn't seem that the Class of 2021 Big Board is doing that well - So far they have 6 total AAs with one National Champ.  The Class of 2022 BB has 12 total AAs with 3 NCs.  The Class of 2023 BB already has 6 AAs despite most of the Class not competing yet.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Lol.  Yes Glazier had a bad tournament, but he did show development.

Looking at Flo’s 2021 recruiting class rankings, Figueroa was #1 and Ayala #5, and if I’m not mistaken they are the only 2 on the whole list who have made an NCAA final so far (and there were 2 PSU guys ranked ahead of Ayala).

Using the real Big Board (aka Willie's Big Board), Ayala was #4.

As for how #4's have done, it is a mixed bag. For every Jason Nolf there is a Nick Reenan.

image.png.89c5cf449d2d42031ef3f8cd1492b4e5.png

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Using the real Big Board (aka Willie's Big Board), Ayala was #4.

As for how #4's have done, it is a mixed bag. For every Jason Nolf there is a Nick Reenan.

image.png.89c5cf449d2d42031ef3f8cd1492b4e5.png

Didn’t Nick Reenan make Final X?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Didn’t Nick Reenan make Final X?

Not sure, but in college he was never more than a qualifier, going 1-6 in three NCAA tournaments. 

Edit: I just looked it up and had a good chuckle. "By virtue of being the only entry at 92 KG at the Bill Farrell International, Reenan won the 92 KG title. And with that win has qualified himself for the World Team Trials."

Woody Allen had it right. 90% of success in life is just showing up.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Le duke said:

Like SVN? Cassar? Kyle Conel? etc

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken