Should OSU, Iowa, tOSU etc fans be rooting against Nickal in the UFC?

If Nickal becomes a UFC champ, he will be raking in the dough and could become a big time donor for PSU, although of course he will never have near as much money as Richison.  Not to mention I’m sure he will continue talking about how great his experience was at PSU.

I don’t really have a favorite team, but I would like to see some more parity.  That said, I still gotta root for Bo even though it could ultimately help extend PSU’s dynasty.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

There really aren't that many top-tier MMA fighters who are wrestlers. As a wrestling fan we should support any MMA fighter from a wrestling background.

You seriously are a troll and post some really stupid stuff.

Primary Fighting Styles of UFC Champs. Grappling still ...

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I don't cheer for Bo because I don't like his personality and I think his seasoning spices taste like dirt, but, I don't actively wish for him to flounder in his new ventures

He has seasoning spices?

Kind of a weird premise. Money isn't an issue for PSU. Nor is having their alumns find success. So it's weird to think people should root against Bo Nickal for those reasons.

I'll root against him because he's turned into a self pandering pot stirring edgelord. But I also don't really care enough to root against him.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Kind of a weird premise. Money isn't an issue for PSU. Nor is having their alumns find success. So it's weird to think people should root against Bo Nickal for those reasons.

I'll root against him because he's turned into a self pandering pot stirring edgelord. But I also don't really care enough to root against him.

Money “isn’t an issue” for PSU, but a few years back I believe they had the most by far.  Now it seems like OSU and Iowa may have passed them, maybe even tOSU if new coaching hires and rumored NIL amounts are an indication.

Yes many guys are obviously still choosing PSU even if they’re not getting the most money there.  But if they are able to match some of these competing offers then they’ll be even more unstoppable then they already are.  (But yes as stated I know a UFC champ is worth far less than a Fortune 500 CEO).

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

If Nickal becomes a UFC champ, he will be raking in the dough and could become a big time donor for PSU, although of course he will never have near as much money as Richison.

What sort of millionaires are UFC champs? Like, relative to NBA starters? All-stars? 

I personally find myself rooting for wrestlers, despite what school they attended. Whether Nickal does great or poorly in UFC will have little affect monetary-wise, may help bring in blue chip recruits (Like they need more help) due to his reputation/wrestlers aspiring to get into UFC after college. 

• Bob 1

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

If Nickal becomes a UFC champ, he will be raking in the dough and could become a big time donor for PSU, although of course he will never have near as much money as Richison.  Not to mention I’m sure he will continue talking about how great his experience was at PSU.

I don’t really have a favorite team, but I would like to see some more parity.  That said, I still gotta root for Bo even though it could ultimately help extend PSU’s dynasty.

Should this be on the College forum?  😉

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

Nickal could win the UFC title in multiple weight classes and I still don't think he reaches the level of wealth that big donors have.

I think it’s also what @RandolphTJones was saying.  Could definitely see him resurrecting his old quote if he wins a title “you come to Penn State if you want to win titles!”

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, jackwebster said:

What sort of millionaires are UFC champs? Like, relative to NBA starters? All-stars? 

According to this, in the last UFC card that Nickal was on, four different fighters earned over $2 million.  That’s of course not counting endorsements and if they fight more than once a year.

https://www.sportbible.com/mma/ufc/ufc-300-alex-pereira-jamahal-hill-max-holloway-510606-20240415

Apparently the average NBA salary is about $10 million.

• Bob 1

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Money “isn’t an issue” for PSU, but a few years back I believe they had the most by far.  Now it seems like OSU and Iowa may have passed them, maybe even tOSU if new coaching hires and rumored NIL amounts are an indication.

Yes many guys are obviously still choosing PSU even if they’re not getting the most money there.  But if they are able to match some of these competing offers then they’ll be even more unstoppable then they already are.  (But yes as stated I know a UFC champ is worth far less than a Fortune 500 CEO).

All possibly true but there’s many dominoes in your scenario so no I don’t think anyone should root against Bo for the reasons listed. PSU fan or not it’s hard to root against a wrestler in anything. 

12 hours ago, boconnell said:

Nickal could win the UFC title in multiple weight classes and I still don't think he reaches the level of wealth that big donors have.

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

According to this, in the last UFC card that Nickal was on, four different fighters earned over $2 million.  That’s of course not counting endorsements and if they fight more than once a year.

https://www.sportbible.com/mma/ufc/ufc-300-alex-pereira-jamahal-hill-max-holloway-510606-20240415

Apparently the average NBA salary is about $10 million.

What did Chris Rock say about the difference between being rich and being wealthy?

Edited by jackwebster

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

What did Chris Rock say about the difference between being rich and being wealthy?

How many “wealthy” donors have made sizeable donations specific to wrestling though? Richison, Galli (Rob Koll’s friend), Stephen Friedman (Cornell), Bob Nicolls (Iowa), whoever gave the NLWC $4 million or whatever a few years back, are there many more?

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How many “wealthy” donors have made sizeable donations specific to wrestling though? Richison, Galli (Rob Koll’s friend), Stephen Friedman (Cornell), Bob Nicolls (Iowa), whoever gave the NLWC $4 million or whatever a few years back, are there many more?

Little Rock only exists bc one wealthy guy. You may have named him but idk. 

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I believe he also said, "A man is only as faithful as his options."

For many, but I would like to imagine that this doesn't apply to my friends and loved ones. Maybe that's bc we are in general optionless? Or, more accurately, all options are equally attractive.