Lineup Logjams

What schools have them and what can they do about it?

What schools will have them in the future with recruits coming in?

• At Iowa, jammed up between 165 and 174 - seems like one AA threat will sit this year
  • At OK State, Merrill or Carroll will need to occupy opposite weight classes for at least 3 season - possible future logjam
  • At tOSU, Mendez and Bouzakis will need to go up next tear to make way for Davino to get in the lineup
  • At Penn State, some blue chip recruits or pas AA's are going to have to sit - is there a way around this?

There are many others

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

At tOSU, Mendez and Bouzakis will need to go up next tear

I believe they're ready to go up now but they'll have to hold one more season unless Mendez RS's...

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I believe they're ready to go up now but they'll have to hold one more season unless Mendez RS's...

I think Bouzakis holds 133 and Davino redshirts in an effort to go up to 141lbs.

• Bob 1
  • Ionel 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Tom Ryan just texted me. Here is the deal. Davino takes an RS this upcoming season. Bouzakis and Mendez hold the weight. The following season 25-26, Bouzakis and Mendez move up giving Davino the 133 spot. 

Side note: Marcus Blaze projected at 197 for the Buckeyes.

I swear, All of this is TRUE!!  

jurassic park deal with it GIF

• Bob 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ionel 1

I am not sure it is a logjam, but Cornell seems to be quite deep at the first four weights with blue chip recruits coming this year and next (grey shirts?) and the already rostered:  Unger and Gregg D (cover 125 and 133?), Cornella 141, Saunders (141 or 149), and Handlovic 149.  With Shapiro at 157 seems like there may be no room for Handlovic or others to move up and little room for recruits to take a spot next year.   

Interested to hear if there is a plan and if any of the several blue chip recruits are expected to challenge for a spot next season?

I’m curious to see how Minnesota handles Brenner, Sparks, Whiting, McEnelly, Salazar, Nelson and Nagel at 165-197. Nice mix of high ranked young recruits and longer tenured guys there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Bob 1

I'm intrigued of the PSU logjam. 

What if Cartet doesn't go 197? Does their 157 Champ, Haines, take his shirt? And if so, who goes there? What about Facundo?

Lots of questions. 

1 hour ago, Ohio Elite said:

Tom Ryan just texted me. Here is the deal. Davino takes an RS this upcoming season. Bouzakis and Mendez hold the weight. The following season 25-26, Bouzakis and Mendez move up giving Davino the 133 spot. 

Side note: Marcus Blaze projected at 197 for the Buckeyes.

I swear, All of this is TRUE!!  

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I have bad news. I stole Tom Ryan's cell phone.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

39 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

What if Cartet doesn't go 197? Does their 157 Champ, Haines, take his shirt? And if so, who goes there? What about Facundo?

Lots of questions. 

Carter is going 197lbs unless something happens to Barr that makes it so he can't wrestle.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think Bouzakis holds 133

Agreed.

If he wants to wrestle this season he does.  I'm just not confidant he holds it for two more seasons.

3 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Davino takes an RS this upcoming season. Bouzakis and Mendez hold the weight. The following season 25-26, Bouzakis and Mendez move up giving Davino the 133 spot. 

This seems familiar...:classic_dry:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lleynor said:

Lots of questions. 

some recent discussions that Kasak might have grown and compete for spot at 157.

Will be interesting to see what the ILLINI end up doing from 165 to 197. There are multiple logjams and, I think, only one redshirt left. You'd think last year's All American and the two Covid AAs will be safe, but who knows. 

165.  Chris Moore (NCAA qualifier as true Freshman, still has redshirt). Braeden Scoles (True Freshman last year, 4x Wisconsin State Champ, listed at 157 by Wrestlestat.com), Caden Ernd (Spot starter last season). 

174.  Danny Braunagel (Olympic redshirt last season; Covid AA, moving up in weight--and it loooked like he needed to), Colin Kelly (Blue chip true Freshman this season). No controversy at this weight. Little Brawny starts and Kelly redshirts. 

184.  Edmond Ruth (AA last season, R12 the year before; moving up in weight), Dylan Connell (NCAA qualifier 2 years ago, suffered multiple injuries last season). This will be the key lineup battle. 

197.  Zac Braunagel (Olympic redshirt last season; Covid AA, expect him to stay at 197 where he finished R12 two years ago), Isiah Pettigrew (Started last season and looked good until injury slowed him down). Expect a wrestle-off here, but the Brawlnagel has to be the big favorite. Also, Sungyup Ryu showed a lot of promise at Midlands, but he went back to Korea to wrestle with their National Team. 

Michigan

133/141
IF Cannon does not transfer out, which is a large if, one of him, Ragusin, or Lemley will need to sit (or Redshirt).

149/157/165
Gilcher, Mantanona(x2), Mattin, Cooper, and Gates are all top tier potential talents and two of them will ride pine unless one shrinks down (while growing) or grows in to 174lbs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it be 149 - Gates, 157 - Gilcher, 165/174 - Mantanona (x2) in two years, but they need to get there first.  That seemingly leaves Cooper the odd man out?  Not sure.  Gates might be.  Also, Lemley might grow more (or perhaps he heads back down to 133...?  Not sure).

197/285
You have Walters and Jenkins right now for 285, even if Walters is a 197lber - Cardenas is there.  Next year there will be Walters, Jenkins, Veazy, Sahakian, and Correa in the 197/285 range.  I had said before, and I will reiterate:  Veazy needs to plan on descending towards 184lbs now if he wants a spot.  One of Walters, Sahakian, and Correa will not be starting.

These are all not taking the portal in to account.

16 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

What schools have them and what can they do about it?

What schools will have them in the future with recruits coming in?

• At Iowa, jammed up between 165 and 174 - seems like one AA threat will sit this year
  • At OK State, Merrill or Carroll will need to occupy opposite weight classes for at least 3 season - possible future logjam
  • At tOSU, Mendez and Bouzakis will need to go up next tear to make way for Davino to get in the lineup
  • At Penn State, some blue chip recruits or pas AA's are going to have to sit - is there a way around this?

There are many others

NAIA rules would be away around.  Not sure the NCAA would go for that. 

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Michigan

133/141
IF Cannon does not transfer out, which is a large if, one of him, Ragusin, or Lemley will need to sit (or Redshirt).

149/157/165
Gilcher, Mantanona(x2), Mattin, Cooper, and Gates are all top tier potential talents and two of them will ride pine unless one shrinks down (while growing) or grows in to 174lbs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it be 149 - Gates, 157 - Gilcher, 165/174 - Mantanona (x2) in two years, but they need to get there first.  That seemingly leaves Cooper the odd man out?  Not sure.  Gates might be.  Also, Lemley might grow more (or perhaps he heads back down to 133...?  Not sure).

197/285
You have Walters and Jenkins right now for 285, even if Walters is a 197lber - Cardenas is there.  Next year there will be Walters, Jenkins, Veazy, Sahakian, and Correa in the 197/285 range.  I had said before, and I will reiterate:  Veazy needs to plan on descending towards 184lbs now if he wants a spot.  One of Walters, Sahakian, and Correa will not be starting.

These are all not taking the portal in to account.

I think Brock man is their best option right away he looked incredible at trials however, Red shirting him and letting him grow may be ideal. Im not sure holding 149 for an entire season would be easy for him.

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, MPhillips said:

He wont but Id like Jesse to have two more years with potentially both Blaze and davino.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Carter is going 197lbs unless something happens to Barr that makes it so he can't wrestle.

I know he mentioned it as a "maybe" in the one video, but is there any more smoke about Carter to 197 happening in other interviews or articles?  Quite frankly Carter often says things that don't end up happening, so I'm not sure how much weight to put into it...

Edited by Gantry

2 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I think Brock man is their best option right away he looked incredible at trials however, Red shirting him and letting him grow may be ideal. Im not sure holding 149 for an entire season would be easy for him.

I won't see 149lbs, I don't think.  I think he is already bigger than that, meaning 157lbs.  Throw him in the weight room and let him run out at 174lbs after next season.  I really think the Mantanonas should be 165/174 for them AFTer next season.  That will give Michigan their best lineup possible, with the other gents sliding in to 149/157 accordingly.

I like Gilcher for 157 and I think some (a lot) of his problems when he started the year last year weren't just him being young, but him cutting too much weight as a true frosh.  149 is just a shit weight for anyone with Olympic aspirations that isn't truly elite already.

In my perfect world this is what they are rolling out in two seasons:

125 - Botero (true frosh)
133 - Horwath/Walker
141 - Lemley
149 - Gates/Catrabone (Cooper redshirt)
157 - Gilcher
165 - Mantanona
174 - Mantanona
184 - Veazy (true frosh)
197 - Walters (Correa redshirt)
285 - Jenkins (Sahakian redshirt)

That is a very young lineup that has potential to be better if Sahakian beats out Jenkins from the get-go.  The Mantanona's have long frames, too, so they could grow even more.

Also interesting note:  Troy Mantanona still has a year of eligibility left were he to choose to use it.

• Bob 1

Just now, Gantry said:

I know he mentioned it in the one video, but is there any more smoke about Carter to 197 happening in other interviews or articles?  Quite frankly Carter often says things that don't end up happening, so I'm not sure how much weight to put into it since 184 is probably the better fit for him. 

There is as much smoke to him going 197lbs as there is for him returning, which he has already confirmed.  Unless something drastic happens, it will be 197lbs.

I think an ASC match between him and PK would be fire.

Just now, nhs67 said:

There is as much smoke to him going 197lbs as there is for him returning, which he has already confirmed.  Unless something drastic happens, it will be 197lbs.

But is all this smoke based on that one interview?  That is my question as I haven't seen any other ink about it...  Given he was thinking 74kg for OTTs I would think 184 is a better fit for him.  And quite frankly the 4x champ gets to pick where he goes

• Brain 1

2 minutes ago, Gantry said:

But is all this smoke based on that one interview?  That is my question as I haven't seen any other ink about it...  Given he was thinking 74kg for OTTs I would think 184 is a better fit for him.  And quite frankly the 4x champ gets to pick where he goes

Ditto

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The one interview plus just good old fashion projections.  Hard to imagine Carter ever makes it to 74kg (163 lbs).  Are we sure he commits to international competition or goes the Bo Nickal route?  PSU needs to get Josh Barr on the mat this year and not waste his eligibility.  Barr seems like a natural 184 pounder.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I won't see 149lbs, I don't think.  I think he is already bigger than that, meaning 157lbs.  Throw him in the weight room and let him run out at 174lbs after next season.  I really think the Mantanonas should be 165/174 for them AFTer next season.  That will give Michigan their best lineup possible, with the other gents sliding in to 149/157 accordingly.

I like Gilcher for 157 and I think some (a lot) of his problems when he started the year last year weren't just him being young, but him cutting too much weight as a true frosh.  149 is just a shit weight for anyone with Olympic aspirations that isn't truly elite already.

133 - Horwath/Walker
141 - Lemley
157 - Gilcher
165 - Mantanona
174 - Mantanona
184 - Veazy (true frosh)

That is a very young lineup that has potential to be better if Sahakian beats out Jenkins from the get-go.  The Mantanona's have long frames, too, so they could grow even more.

Also interesting note:  Troy Mantanona still has a year of eligibility left were he to choose to use it.

Gilcher beat Watter at dapper dan so to see the level of disparity between their two seasons was quite odd. Watters did hurt his knee in that match, but it was still a bit shocking to me especially when you think of the two programs they are at.

• Bob 1

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

133 - Horwath/Walker
141 - Lemley
157 - Gilcher
165 - Mantanona
174 - Mantanona
184 - Veazy (true frosh)

I think Botero is flying under the radar a bit. What I like about him similarly to deluca is that he will be a lifer at 125 which you cannot say about many guys. Catrabones ability on top is going to make him dangerous I just hope he develops from neutral a bit.

• Fire 1