Who is the next Hall of Famer?

On 6/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, Truzzcat said:

If jake paul is gatekeeping ben from the hall of fame that will be a very sad day.

Turns out he is not, or should not be. I found two examples of people inducted less that five years after a comeback of sorts.

Henry Cejudo wrestled Tony Ramos in 2015 and was inducted in 2018. Andre Metzger attempted to make the World team in 2014 (at 54 years old?) and was inducted in 2017.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Turns out he is not, or should not be. I found two examples of people inducted less that five years after a comeback of sorts.

Henry Cejudo wrestled Tony Ramos in 2015 and was inducted in 2018. Andre Metzger attempted to make the World team in 2014 (at 54 years old?) and was inducted in 2017.

One-off entries/events are what they are. Metzger was much more active in 2012 in the run-up to the 2012 Trials than he was his one day wrestling at the Open in 2014. 

• Brain 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

31 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

One-off entries/events are what they are. Metzger was much more active in 2012 in the run-up to the 2012 Trials than he was his one day wrestling at the Open in 2014. 

How involved are you with the HOF? Do you vote on nominees? Do you help select nominees?

On 7/1/2024 at 6:54 PM, headshuck said:

Jayson was one of the last great pinners though. He’d go the pin like a dog on a bone.

jayson ness and ian miller are two of the most entertaining kids to watch in the last decade. 

13 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

jayson ness and ian miller are two of the most entertaining kids to watch in the last decade. 

Ness' last NCAA season was 2010.  In the last ten years, I don't recall his international career full of entertaining highlights, but I could be wrong.  I think injury derailed his Olympic hopes.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

Ness' last NCAA season was 2010.  In the last ten years, I don't recall his international career full of entertaining highlights, but I could be wrong.  I think injury derailed his Olympic hopes.

Looks like his last competition may have been 2019 in Cuba.  Would be past 5 years now.  Still probably a little behind some of the other names mentioned in both international and NCAA success.  Definitely Askren and Herbert.

JaysonNess.png

• Bob 1

6 hours ago, jchapman said:

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

Looks like his last competition may have been 2019 in Cuba.  Would be past 5 years now.  Still probably a little behind some of the other names mentioned in both international and NCAA success.  Definitely Askren and Herbert.

JaysonNess.png

the last (only?) freestyle match I can remember watching for Ness was at the 2016 Olympic trials when he was up on Pico 9-0 and lost 10-9. crazy match. 

• 2 weeks later...

With CrowdStrike messing up my morning I decided to waste some time with a little HOF research.

I had previously asked the question: should all single digit guys be in the HOF? A single digit guy is defined as someone who AA four years where the sum of their finishes is between 4 and 9 (The Number).

But before I can answer that question I thought I needed to understand that nature of the people in the HOF (I am talking Distinguished Members category).

• Of the 211 Distinguished Members only 23 of them were four time All-Americans in college. This makes sense as there are a lot of ways to get to the HOF that do not rely solely, or sometimes even at all, on college results. Women's wrestling, coaching, and international acclaim are just some of the ways to make it. And of course, there are a number of entrants from the non-freshman eligible era.
  • Of those 23 four-timers, 18 of them have a single digit. The five who do not Joe Williams (10), Barry Davis (10), Randy Lewis (11), Kevin Jackson (15), and Coleman Scott (16) all have either World or Olympic (or both) medals to their name.

It seems like the path to the HOF if you do not have a single digit requires some international success.

But if all you have is that single digit, is that enough?
I don't know. But here is the list of single digit guys who are NOT in the Distinguished Members section of the HOF:

image.png.c2f0967b2f5fc4eba4c438ad263f0c0a.png

• I sorted the list by the number of titles rather than "The Number". It seems like that should be a good tie breaker.

• There are 17 two-time champions / four-time AA's who have a double digit, but are not in the HOF (some are not eligible yet).  Is that a better resume than the one-time champs who came oh so close the other three year (Goldman {7}, Howe {8}, Heskett {8}, Heffernan {9}).

• Waiting in the wings, there are also 21 single digit guys who are not yet eligible due to the five year waiting period.
  • Brain 1

so many of those guys should be in, maybe all of them lol.

Herbert has a world silver and the highest winning % on there so he seems like a good one to start with.

Krieger was seeded #1 4 x so there's an extremely rare accomplishment in his favor. He also never lost a match outside the NCAA tournament. Plus he probably accounted for a good % of fellow single digit guy Heffernan's 18 career losses.

impressive additional trivia type details for most / all these other guys as well. Tough group.    

Edited by 11986