recap of trials and implications on next season

Aside from Radamacher I think we knew the caliber of everyone that made the u20 team. I will say I think Marcus Blaze is the best high school wrestler I have ever seen. Take that with a grain of salt because I was really young for the Stieber Dt era. 

Both Mantanona brothers thoroughly impressed me, and I am super excited to see them on the next level. If you have not gotten to watch the Lilledahl Forrest final, I would check it out that's some super high-level wrestling. 

Zack Ryder is really really good, and Gabe Arnold takes a step back from top 3 contention for me.

The biggest surprises were at u23's for me. I think after the LCQ we were all aware of Gunerson but man did he just run through this tournament again. 

Wyatt Voelker had some really nice wins in both styles.

Josh Saunders continues to be a much better freestyle guy.

PK killed Ramirez they need to get him in the lineup.

Endene looks like he was a great pickup for Wisconsin and appears to be able to go with D1 competition albeit it was probably the weakest weight.

I was not familiar with Lucas stoddard but he teched nate taylor twice, so I am excited to watch him next year.

I think Paniro will be fine at 157.

• Bob 2

Patrick Kennedy is a Big Ten Champ and U23 World Team Member, but will not start at Iowa. I was expecting him to hit the portal, but it feels like that is not happening this year. We act like it is a forgone conclusion that Gabe Arnold is the starter - maybe we should reconsider that assumption.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Potato 1

4 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Patrick Kennedy is a Big Ten Champ and U23 World Team Member, but will not start at Iowa. I was expecting him to hit the portal, but it feels like that is not happening this year. We act like it is a forgone conclusion that Gabe Arnold is the starter - maybe we should reconsider that assumption.

I think the plan right now is for 

157- Caliendo

165- Kennedy

174- Arnold

184- Brands

All will be contingent on how the cut goes for Caliendo. 

• Bob 2

33 minutes ago, Gus said:

157- Caliendo

165- Kennedy

174- Arnold

184- Brands

mr fast twitch jr will occupy all those weights as well at 197

41 minutes ago, Gus said:

157- Caliendo

165- Kennedy

174- Arnold

184- Brands

Looks good, though I will be disappointed if Siebrecht sits. 

51 minutes ago, Gus said:

157- Caliendo

165- Kennedy

174- Arnold

184- Brands

Feels like Caliendo is smaller than Kennedy at this point, however Pyles did say something last week about how he was hearing that neither Caliendo nor Kennedy are going down to 157. I think Kennedy should transfer to tOSU.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Feels like Caliendo is smaller than Kennedy at this point, however Pyles did say something last week about how he was hearing that neither Caliendo nor Kennedy are going down to 157. I think Kennedy should transfer to tOSU.

I think PK takes the starting spot over Gabe, as you suggested. 

Edited by CHROMEBIRD

21 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

I would be good with Kennedy transferring to SDSU. 

4 minutes ago, GreenandGold said:

Unless Iowa is hiring John Smith to run their weight cutting, no way Caliendo sees 157.

If he somehow manages it will be on a super limited schedule which I think ultimately would hurt him.

• Brain 1

I would be good with Kennedy transferring to SDSU. 

I’ve said all along I feel like Pat Kennedy would rather chew his own arm off than wrestle for anyone other than Iowa, even if he’s riding the bench.

HOWEVER, if he were to transfer there’s no way it’s not to SDSU imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Wrestle 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I think PK takes the starting spot over Gabe, as you suggested. 

Does he even get the chance to compete for it?

Sometimes coaches make promises, and they won't back pedal even if they are wrong.