Donald Trump found guilty of all 34 counts in his first criminal trial

27 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

@Offthemat gonna be outside the courthouse with a defund the police sign now lol

welcome to america buddy

So hes now a fellow protester like yourself.  You should be encouraging him. 

4 hours ago, ionel said:

if he is sentenced to 1,000 hrs of community service

Does serving as President for 1,000 hours (about 42 days) without pay count as community service?  If he donated all of his pay as President the first time around can he cash in (see what I did there?) that time served and get a credit for an additional 34,000 hours of community service to cover the rest of the guiltinesses?

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Does serving as President for 1,000 hours (about 42 days) without pay count as community service?  If he donated all of his pay as President the first time around can he cash in (see what I did there?) that time served and get a credit for an additional 34,000 hours of community service to cover the rest of the guiltinesses?

Sounds reasonable.  

Andrew McCarthy is not a Trump fan.  

“In his most recent assessment of the case, former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy puts it this way:

Ordinarily, falsifying business records is a misdemeanor under New York penal law. The statute that enhances the offense into a felony requires proof of fraudulent intent to conceal “another crime.” New York’s constitution forbids such vague incorporation by reference; to be valid the statute would have to prescribe what other crimes trigger the felony enhancement. That is especially true in this case, in which Bragg (a) is claiming the other crime is a violation of FECA, for which Congress has vested the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission with exclusive enforcement jurisdiction, and (b) is alternatively claiming the other crime is a misdemeanor violation of New York election law. In New York, misdemeanors have a two-year statute of limitations, and the potential penalty is less than a year’s imprisonment; yet Bragg is claiming that if one falsifies records (misdemeanor) to unlawfully influence an election (misdemeanor), the prosecutor can somehow inflate the crime into a felony with a four-year prison term and a six-year statute of limitations. If the business-records-falsification statute were intended to allow such a counterintuitive result, it was incumbent on the legislature to spell that out. Empire State lawmakers did not do so.

Then there is the indictment. It put the defense on no notice of what “other crime” Trump was alleged to have concealed. As I contended yesterday, this was not an oversight; Bragg knew it would be controversial to proclaim in clear terms the power and intention to enforce federal law — against a defendant whom the federal agencies with authority to prosecute investigated and as to whom they decided, for sound legal reasons, not to bring charges. The failure to provide a defendant with notice of the charges in the indictment violates the federal Constitution — and it strongly suggests that the grand jury did not find probable cause of the other crimes that Bragg now alleges (there is no “other crime” pled in the indictment).

McCarthy adds this (emphasis in original):

Without being limited to the charges in the indictment, as prosecutors are supposed to be, they presented the case to the jury as if the charge were conspiracy to influence the 2016 election by burying politically damaging information. To say that this conspiracy appears nowhere in the indictment does not explain the half of it. It is not a crime to conspire to influence an election unless one does so by unlawful means (that’s the afore-described New York misdemeanor), and there is nothing unlawful per se about burying politically damaging information.“

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/05/choose-one-from-column-a.php

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Andrew McCarthy is not a Trump fan.  

“In his most recent assessment of the case, former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy puts it this way:

Ordinarily, falsifying business records is a misdemeanor under New York penal law. The statute that enhances the offense into a felony requires proof of fraudulent intent to conceal “another crime.” New York’s constitution forbids such vague incorporation by reference; to be valid the statute would have to prescribe what other crimes trigger the felony enhancement. That is especially true in this case, in which Bragg (a) is claiming the other crime is a violation of FECA, for which Congress has vested the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission with exclusive enforcement jurisdiction, and (b) is alternatively claiming the other crime is a misdemeanor violation of New York election law. In New York, misdemeanors have a two-year statute of limitations, and the potential penalty is less than a year’s imprisonment; yet Bragg is claiming that if one falsifies records (misdemeanor) to unlawfully influence an election (misdemeanor), the prosecutor can somehow inflate the crime into a felony with a four-year prison term and a six-year statute of limitations. If the business-records-falsification statute were intended to allow such a counterintuitive result, it was incumbent on the legislature to spell that out. Empire State lawmakers did not do so.

Then there is the indictment. It put the defense on no notice of what “other crime” Trump was alleged to have concealed. As I contended yesterday, this was not an oversight; Bragg knew it would be controversial to proclaim in clear terms the power and intention to enforce federal law — against a defendant whom the federal agencies with authority to prosecute investigated and as to whom they decided, for sound legal reasons, not to bring charges. The failure to provide a defendant with notice of the charges in the indictment violates the federal Constitution — and it strongly suggests that the grand jury did not find probable cause of the other crimes that Bragg now alleges (there is no “other crime” pled in the indictment).

McCarthy adds this (emphasis in original):

Without being limited to the charges in the indictment, as prosecutors are supposed to be, they presented the case to the jury as if the charge were conspiracy to influence the 2016 election by burying politically damaging information. To say that this conspiracy appears nowhere in the indictment does not explain the half of it. It is not a crime to conspire to influence an election unless one does so by unlawful means (that’s the afore-described New York misdemeanor), and there is nothing unlawful per se about burying politically damaging information.“

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2024/05/choose-one-from-column-a.php

Yeah sure but Vak claims this happens all the time and he's not a Trump fan either so ...  🙄

• Ionel 1

2 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

You would know. 

Well of course, I can read. It’s that whole comprehension thing I keep trying to clue you in on. Just read some of the posts in this thread (yours are some of the most interesting by the way), then understand this thread is but a small sampling size, then understand extrapolating those numbers to percentage of Americans who, like you, are butthurt idiots. And you can understand tight sphincters, as you are showing us here tonight, all over the country!! 

2 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Given the venue, the activist liberal judge the outcome of this trial should be no surprise. Trump probably only a 2 percent chance of winning. This most liberal county in the country.  You could take this trial to hundreds of other venues and have a totally different outcome. This does not bode well for our judicial system. Thank goodness this will be appealed. and hopefully in a better judge and a better venue. Hopefully this will be reversed on appeal.

• Bob 2
  • Wrestle 1

9 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Well of course, I can read. It’s that whole comprehension thing I keep trying to clue you in on. Just read some of the posts in this thread (yours are some of the most interesting by the way), then understand this thread is but a small sampling size, then understand extrapolating those numbers to percentage of Americans who, like you, are butthurt idiots. And you can understand tight sphincters, as you are showing us here tonight, all over the country!! 

Sorry “kiddo” I couldn’t care less if they lock him up.  Enjoy your infatuation with sphincters and Vaseline though.  It doesn’t make you a bad person. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Sorry “kiddo” I couldn’t care less if they lock him up.  Enjoy your infatuation with sphincters and Vaseline though.  It doesn’t make you a bad person. 

There's an ad in the paper for BOGO at Walgreen's.  Better stock up, by the looks of all the TV pundits, its going to be a very emotional weekend for ya'll.  But it'll be okay, you'll feel better once the fever breaks.

37 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

There's an ad in the paper for BOGO at Walgreen's.  Better stock up, by the looks of all the TV pundits, its going to be a very emotional weekend for ya'll.  But it'll be okay, you'll feel better once the fever breaks.

Who is/are this "ya'll" you speak of?  Many of us don't like Trump but versus Biden and his policy?  TDS is real and apparently incurable.  All Bragg did is wake up new/more Trump supporters.  I'd be quite happy if we could just plug in Nikki Haley and move on but no we are likely to get 4 more years of endless impeachment.  Its ya'll TDS crowd gonna have the bad weekend and weeks to come.  😞

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1
  • Ionel 1

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Felon might be a badge of honor going forward.

It will be: first double impeached felon to be elected President.  😕

If the emotions weren’t at such a high level this morning and calmer, clearer heads prevailed and allowed for that whole, reading comprehension thing, one would be able to see that I have not opined on Trump one time in this thread. But rather, my observations are on the members of the flock, who are in such a tizzy this morning they can’t even see straight apparently.  You are correct. TDS is very real (its also a lot of blind projection, particularly from the folks who just can’t keep Hunter and Joe Biden off their brain 😂

PS- Nikki would get my vote in a heartbeat. Pretty much anyone but these two clowns would. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ionel said:

Yeah sure but Vak claims this happens all the time and he's not a Trump fan either so ...  🙄

I guess once in a lifetime is all the time. Who knew.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word.
  • Bob 1