Four Regional Tournaments

WrestlingFan89

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

I do sometimes find the “grow the sport comments”.    As if.  

Parent:   hey little Johnny.  Wanna go out for wrestling this year?

7 year old Johnny:   Nah.  I think I’ll play soccer. 

parent:  interesting.  Why?

Johnny:   I don’t like the conference tournament deciding who goes to NCAAs.  It’s not fair.   Now if they had a regional qualifier.  I would totally be in.  

I like, lowkey kinda love this ... 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

JB.  Is your proposal still a possibility?  Can you share a typed version of your proposal?  I listened to it on a podcast but that was a long time ago.

In my opinion, we need to find a way to get NCAA qualifiers and All Americans from more schools.  Having an All American will go a long way to strengthen programs.  Imagine Presbyterian having an NCAA finalist, Morgan State having an All-American, or The Citadel having an NCAA Champion.  Kids would potentially see those programs as viable options to their goals.  It would not guarantee the program stays but it will strengthen the argument.

As a side note, I hate how the NCAA seeds all 33 wrestlers.  That only goes to further the control of the wrestling powers.  Seed the top 12 and be done.  Great NCAA stories come from underdogs and people finding their way onto the podium.

Also, wrestling people are their own worst enemy.  We have to find a way to get our wrestlers/families to consume the sport.  Go and watch a collegiate dual.  At the youth level, we have to promote the consumption of our own sport if we want future opportunities for our current youth wrestlers.

14 hours ago, WrestlingFan89 said:

This sport is becoming an absolute ***duck duck goose** embarrassment.  I pay a shitload of money for season tickets, streaming, travel and club support and I’m very close to being done with it.  

not disagreeing with your premise...but it might be time to talk to your coach and AD... let them know...

7 hours ago, Preceptor said:

JB.  Is your proposal still a possibility?  Can you share a typed version of your proposal?  I listened to it on a podcast but that was a long time ago.

In my opinion, we need to find a way to get NCAA qualifiers and All Americans from more schools.  Having an All American will go a long way to strengthen programs.  Imagine Presbyterian having an NCAA finalist, Morgan State having an All-American, or The Citadel having an NCAA Champion.  Kids would potentially see those programs as viable options to their goals.  It would not guarantee the program stays but it will strengthen the argument.

As a side note, I hate how the NCAA seeds all 33 wrestlers.  That only goes to further the control of the wrestling powers.  Seed the top 12 and be done.  Great NCAA stories come from underdogs and people finding their way onto the podium.

Also, wrestling people are their own worst enemy.  We have to find a way to get our wrestlers/families to consume the sport.  Go and watch a collegiate dual.  At the youth level, we have to promote the consumption of our own sport if we want future opportunities for our current youth wrestlers.

No proposal is a possibility until it gets brought up by the Divisional coaches leadership groups, and then recommended to the NCAA rules folks. 

Here's the PDF of the slideshow I'd created. Since then, Campbell announced it's moving to the CAA, so there is some potential movement with the southern conferences as they struggle with overall numbers to sanction new conferences. 

https://bit.ly/renovatelink

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

On 12/20/2022 at 11:56 AM, Jason Bryant said:

Can you just post it? Few, if anyone, here remembers what you were banned for (It was before me, so I don't know), so just post it. Might I recommend not continually bringing up the old bans? This is a new home, no need to keep dredging that up. I don't think it matters to anyone. 

So, what's your proposal? 

Boy are you correct! I am not a big poster and have never been banned, but this really IS a great new home. 

• Fire 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:02 PM, Ban Basketball said:

I respect you and your asking,  but it went over like a fart in church years ago and I just don't have what it takes any more to sit and defend myself with everyone. 

Getting too old,  I think. 

Or you could propose the idea and engage in the debate.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:05 PM, WrestlingFan89 said:

We need to figure out a way to reward wrestling matches.  As is, not wrestling matches is rewarded.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:37 PM, WrestlingFan89 said:

It’s time for D1 NCAA to go to regional tournaments to decide national qualifiers.  I’m tired of the bullshit ducking to protect ranking and win percentage.  This sport is becoming embarrassing.

Seems simple enough to require a minimum amount of matches to go to nationals, say, 15 matches? There also should be some way to treat forfeits as losses that affect your rankings without being too harsh on a kid for having to sit out with an illness or injury. Maybe they get 3 medical forfeits and then by the 4th it is counted as a loss?

I do agree though, it seems ridiculous that someone like Spencer Lee can maintain his #1 ranking having wrestled zero matches, and sail on to NCAAs with the top seed after competing in only the Big 10 tournament. Granted I don't fully understand seeding and rankings and all that so I could be greatly oversimplifying it.

Create a national Last Chance qualifier the week between conference tourneys and nattys for anyone who meets some basic criteria (undetermined, but the idea is “not everyone can enter this Last Chance tourney” in order to not have a 47 person bracket). Start with the mindset of 30 auto qualifiers for NCAAs from conferences and 3 from Last Chance by using current qualification criteria. Anyone who MFFs at conference must participate at Last Chance. If you MFF at Last Chance. then you watch from home. 3rd place match at Last Chance would be a sneak peek of bloodround - true gladiator’s mindset.

i am an idiot on the internet