Helicopter Crash in NW Iran

min ago

Iranian official says contact with 2 people aboard president's helicopter indicates crash was "not severe"

From CNN's Adam Pourahmadi and AnneClaire Stapleton 

Iranian officials have spoken to two people on the same helicopter as President Ebrahim Raisi since it crashed Sunday, Iranian Vice President for Executive Affairs Mohsen Mansouri told the country's semi-official FARS news agency. 

Because officials made contact "several times" with a passenger and member of the flight crew shortly after the crash, "It appears that the incident was not severe," Mansouri said.

Three helicopters were flying on the same route before two lost contact with Raisi's helicopter, Mansouri said.

"The Ministry of Communications and other security agencies have identified the incident area within a 2-kilometer radius. Due to weather conditions, access to the area is challenging," he said. 

All aboard Dead as I have read.   Iran will be looking for a new President.   He had high level staff with him that will also need to be replaced.   I would think this is a major blow to the Iranian political scheme. 

mspart

54 minutes ago, mspart said:

All aboard Dead as I have read.   Iran will be looking for a new President.   He had high level staff with him that will also need to be replaced.   I would think this is a major blow to the Iranian political scheme. 

mspart

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

55 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

His role was more like vice president to the Supreme Leader.  

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

I don’t know if it’s a major blow, but he was definitely on the side of Khamanei, and was on the short list of clerics to take over as Supreme leader.

I do agree that perhaps it gives an opening to whatever opposition exists.

Edited by BuckyBadger

https://www.euronews.com/2024/05/20/butcher-of-tehran-who-was-iranian-president-ebrahim-raisi

The Butcher of Tehran.   Yes, by all means, lets give him a moment of silence.   He silenced thousands. 

He helped oversee the mass execution of thousands in the 1980s and later presided over a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests at home.

My guess is Khameni decided to get rid of him.   Too bad the Foreign Minister also died in the incident. 

mspart

On 5/19/2024 at 2:23 PM, Threadkilla said:

min ago

Iranian official says contact with 2 people aboard president's helicopter indicates crash was "not severe"

From CNN's Adam Pourahmadi and AnneClaire Stapleton 

Iranian officials have spoken to two people on the same helicopter as President Ebrahim Raisi since it crashed Sunday, Iranian Vice President for Executive Affairs Mohsen Mansouri told the country's semi-official FARS news agency. 

Because officials made contact "several times" with a passenger and member of the flight crew shortly after the crash, "It appears that the incident was not severe," Mansouri said.

Three helicopters were flying on the same route before two lost contact with Raisi's helicopter, Mansouri said.

"The Ministry of Communications and other security agencies have identified the incident area within a 2-kilometer radius. Due to weather conditions, access to the area is challenging," he said. 

I hadn't heard the guy died..  You can always count on CNN  they don't just fugup US news.