Zain's bow and arrow

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I missed the part where somebody said that Penn State invented the Turk.  Schultz has been mentioned, but John Smith did the bent leg Turk and standing Turk and he was Schultz contemporary.  I don't believe either of them invented the move.   I've seen it attempted quite often in freestyle, but oftentimes it's flagged as potentially dangerous by the ref.   

Don't let your little Nit feelings get hurt! It was a joke, but based in reality...They literally asked Zain if the move should be named after him!

I don't think Schultz invented it either, but he was using it before Smith made the scene.

Terry Brands was famously dinged for it as PD in Olympic semis.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 minute ago, Threadkilla said:

I missed the part where somebody said that Penn State invented the Turk.  Schultz has been mentioned, but John Smith did the bent leg Turk and standing Turk and he was Schultz contemporary.  I don't believe either of them invented the move.   I've seen it attempted quite often in freestyle, but oftentimes it's flagged as potentially dangerous by the ref.   

implementation of it depends on reputation. I had a kid who was quite good at it and he got stopped less in proportion to his reputation. 

I don't think we know who invented many moves, even the nolf winn dixie came from cody sanderson and I don't know if he claims he invented it, but as far as bringing the bow and arrow back into prominence recently it was Cam Simaz, and then gabe Dean.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Don't let your little Nit feelings get hurt! It was a joke, but based in reality...They literally asked Zain if the move should be named after him!

I don't think Schultz invented it either, but he was using it before Smith made the scene.

Terry Brands was famously dinged for it as PD in Olympic semis.

Yes, I was going to use the Brands match as an example as well.  Who asked Zain that question.  you said "They" who are they?  Some journalist?   My Nit feelings aren't hurt. You on the other hand are so butthurt about the Nits success you'll  whine about anything related to the team.  

Your jokes are good you could be the next Amy Schumer.

Edited by Threadkilla
  • Bob 1

Zain looks like an absolute tank on the mats. I am shocked that he doesn't get more par terre than he does. He won't be facing many as strong as him. 

• Bob 1
  • Stalling 1

7 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

Zain looks like an absolute tank on the mats. I am shocked that he doesn't get more par terre than he does. He won't be facing many as strong as him. 

they just don't give the time that they used to, which is annoying because its the more intricate and awesome technique in wrestling when someone has 20 seconds on top in freestyle. Just watch some of the shultz compilation i posted above its amazing.

29 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Yes, I was going to use the Brands match as an example as well.  Who asked Zain that question.  you said "They" who are they?  Some journalist?   My Nit feelings aren't hurt. You on the other hand are so butthurt about the Nits success you'll  whine about anything related to the team.  

Your jokes are good you could be the next Amy Schumer.

I didn't bring up the Zain quote, you will have to ask that poster.  Please follow along.

I don't hate the nits, but many of their fans are unbearably hypocritical.  I rather like Taylor, Nolf, Ed Ruth, Nick Lee, Bartlett.  Several of the more recent lads have come off as quite obnoxious though.

The fun thing is that things in the wrestling world are about to change...

41 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I didn't bring up the Zain quote, you will have to ask that poster.  Please follow along.

The fact that 'killa' edited his post for the Amy Schumer comment is the best part...

• Haha 1
  • Stalling 1

There is a reason it’s called a Turk.  Turkish wrestlers used the move against the rest of the world quite effectively many years ago.  Although I do wish American wrestlers would use folk style moves more for turns.  

• Bob 1

Just now, Wrestej said:

There is a reason it’s called a Turk.  Turkish wrestlers used the move against the rest of the world quite effectively many years ago.  Although I do wish American wrestlers would use folk style moves more for turns.  

Exactly on both points.

DT was a master of using (predominantly) folkstyle turns on top vs the world.

20 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

Zain delivered some pain in Turkey with his bow and arrow. I bet none of the international guys have seen or FELT Zain's bow and arrow. He's showing how folkstyle can influence freestyle.

I know this was around for a long time but I have seen it used by other countries extensively.  Bajrang of India was particularly nasty with this move.  The problem is that many FS refs will blow it dead before you can use it.  Back in Schultz's era you had significantly more time to work in par terre.

the high thigh figure 4 to a cross face I think would throw a lot of guys it also lets you chew up clock as long as you have them exposed, Zain used that in his third-place match. As hammer mentioned it's hard to get to that position with how little time, they get to work which would be the draw back.

1 minute ago, Truzzcat said:

the high thigh figure 4 to a cross face I think would throw a lot of guys it also lets you chew up clock as long as you have them exposed, Zain used that in his third-place match. As hammer mentioned it's hard to get to that position with how little time, they get to work which would be the draw back.

Unfortunately I don't think Zain gets this turn if its the first match of the day. Both guys were in their fourth match, but Zain was obviously aerobically superior, cause he was obviously able to recover between matches way more.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Unfortunately I don't think Zain gets this turn if its the first match of the day. Both guys were in their fourth match, but Zain was obviously aerobically superior, cause he was obviously able to recover between matches way more.

this is purely a freestyle turn but one I don't see get a ton of use however the Iowa guys seem to really like it is that move where the head is buried between the legs and then they pull them up to a quad pod esque position and roll I've seen both Austin and spencer use it to success.

6 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

this is purely a freestyle turn but one I don't see get a ton of use however the Iowa guys seem to really like it is that move where the head is buried between the legs and then they pull them up to a quad pod esque position and roll I've seen both Austin and spencer use it to success.

yeah its like a lace but you're head is somewhere you'd generally prefer it not be. I think Terry B was really into that move.

7 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I love this as a "bow and arrow." I mean he has an ankle and is applying forward pressure.  That's about where the similarities end.

Dave Schultz called it a "bent leg turk" btw (what is commonly called a bow and arrow)

It’s the best I got. I do what I can. 🥴😔🌝🧌🤼

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Whatever happened to all the shrinking violets on the college board who wanted this made illegal?

They blossomed

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes, I would challenge anyone who thinks that is a folkstyle move to find a video of someone hitting it in a folkstyle match that pre-dates Dave Schultz.  Good luck!

There are tons of great techniques that have come from overseas.  For example the Iranian lift and finish should be taught in every high school wrestling room.  Simple and effective 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

yeah its like a lace but you're head is somewhere you'd generally prefer it not be. I think Terry B was really into that move.

Head in the hole.

Didn’t the Japanese wrestler do that to Zain in the 70kg match at Worlds two years ago?

Got 8 points to end the match with it, IIRC.

Found it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Head in the hole.

Didn’t the Japanese wrestler do that to Zain in the 70kg match at Worlds two years ago?

Got 8 points to end the match with it, IIRC.

Found it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats the one, Brooks has a similar defense I'd call, "hands in the hole". Really likes doing it to taylor, very obvious in US open and OTTs.

• Bob 1

On 5/12/2024 at 6:55 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

fyi he didn't hit a single bow and arrow in the whole tournment.

I think being technical ok " leg in cranked on his head" but you know what he meant

Just now, cangemi said:

I think being technical ok " leg in cranked on his head" but you know what he meant

i'm sympathetic to the idea that there are different names for the same move, but in this case it was so gratuitous that I felt the need to defend our common language. Plus its very rude to just reframe what people say into whatever form feels most palatable to yourself.

• Bob 1