Brooks Interview on Basch.

11 hours ago, BAC said:

Finally watched this video.  Oh man.  I've always liked Brooks but that wasn't a good look at all. 

First he says/implies Taylor and others were somehow trying to structure PSU practices in a way that was harmful to him.  Like... huh?  Then he basically says that his win over Taylor should prove beyond a doubt that his religion is the correct one and Taylor's beliefs are wrong.  LOL.  I dunno Aaron, are you sure Taylor's win last year didn't prove *his* beliefs are right and *yours* are wrong?  Crazy.  I loathe this "I won therefore my religion is the right one" BS, and to foist that mindset on a longtime teammate is just way out of line. 

Interviews like this are also pretty much disqualifying for any coaching position in the near future.  If you are a school looking for a coach or assistant coach, you have to worry that he's going to give preferential treatment to those who share his Christian beliefs, and discriminate against those who don't, both in how he recruits and how he coaches guys.   

BTW, whoever said Basch is like CP times 1000 (or something like that) had it right.  Man that guy is hard to watch.  Could his nose have been any further up Brooks' butt?

Why is it disqualifying.  Tom Ryan does it at Ohio State.  A public university.

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Brooks is a faith-based rather than fact-based guy.   That tells me to take what he says with a great grain of salt.  He's too willing to tell himself (and others) a magical story about the world, and what he sees is no doubt colored heavily by what he seeks (and wishes to see).  

His stories are far too simple and simplistic to actually reflect a reality that is usually many shades of gray rather than stark black and white.   

I wonder what Brooks will say if he gets Yazdani or a Muslim from another country in the Olympic finals:  my guess is that he might cast it as God's plan to do battle against heretics or something of the sort.  NBC might be wise to keep the live mics away from him.  

Oh man, I can sense the religious social media “influencers” like Jack Posobiec now, thanking him for “sharing the truth” or something.  Kinda like when they tried pitting Tamyra Mensah Stock against that shotput lady or whatever.   TMS of course didn’t say anything offensive, hopefully Brooks doesn’t.  Although if he gets a mic hopefully that means he’s done well…

Actually speaking of Basch and this topic, did anyone catch his interview with Kennedy Blades?  Basch was definitely pushing it, but she basically said she wants to be good at wrestling so that she can have a platform to share her beliefs.  Whatever works I guess, and it seems to be working for her…

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Brooks is a faith-based rather than fact-based guy.   That tells me to take what he says with a great grain of salt.  He's too willing to tell himself (and others) a magical story about the world, and what he sees is no doubt colored heavily by what he seeks (and wishes to see).  

His stories are far too simple and simplistic to actually reflect a reality that is usually many shades of gray rather than stark black and white.   

I wonder what Brooks will say if he gets Yazdani or a Muslim from another country in the Olympic finals:  my guess is that he might cast it as God's plan to do battle against heretics or something of the sort.  NBC might be wise to keep the live mics away from him.  

U23 was in Albania last year, a majority muslim country and he wrestled a couple muslims.   I'm not sure that is a problem..  

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Not a lot of NBC mics at U23.  Brooks has attacked Islamic beliefs and the prophet Muhammad on live TV before...

You're right,  He didn't have the opportunity to speak his mind because NBC wasn't involved. 🤣

• Bob 1

I wonder how many on here has had a mic shoved in their face over and over or did countless interviews?  Wonder how many of you got every word, sentence, opinion, statement scrutinized over and over by a bunch of keyboard warriors?  

Brooks is a great wrestler and I truly enjoy watching him.  Couldn't care less about stupid interviews as they definitely do not translate as to knowing who someone is in real life; thus, I will continue to support him and enjoy watching him wrestle...period!  I'll leave it up to most of you all to sit on your high horse behind a computer screen, and who hasn't done even a fraction of what Brooks has done, and try and bash him and insult him as a human being because you are to insecure in yourself to understand and be okay with the fact that people in this world believe different things than you.

• Fire 2

25 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I wonder how many on here has had a mic shoved in their face over and over or did countless interviews?  Wonder how many of you got every word, sentence, opinion, statement scrutinized over and over by a bunch of keyboard warriors?  

Brooks is a great wrestler and I truly enjoy watching him.  Couldn't care less about stupid interviews as they definitely do not translate as to knowing who someone is in real life; thus, I will continue to support him and enjoy watching him wrestle...period!  I'll leave it up to most of you all to sit on your high horse behind a computer screen, and who hasn't done even a fraction of what Brooks has done, and try and bash him and insult him as a human being because you are to insecure in yourself to understand and be okay with the fact that people in this world believe different things than you.

Are you bashing us for having an opinion? How many times have you had a keyboard shoved in your face or made countless posts that were scrutinized by other keyboard warriors?

Heaven forbid we discuss the sport or the personalities within... y'know like is done with other NCAA and pro-sports!

33 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I’m confused.  Does having a mic shoved in your face turn you into a devout Christian?

I’m sure many of us would sound like Braeden Davis after B10’s.  I’m not sure many would sound like Brooks unless they were doing it intentionally.

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Are you bashing us for having an opinion? How many times have you had a keyboard shoved in your face or made countless posts that were scrutinized by other keyboard warriors?

Heaven forbid we discuss the sport or the personalities within... y'know like is done with other NCAA and pro-sports!

You can have any opinion you want and discuss any topic you want.  As you all have your opinion about Brooks, I am entitled to have my own opinion about people on here who bash a kid they have never met.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’m confused.  Does having a mic shoved in your face turn you into a devout Christian?

I’m sure many of us would sound like Braeden Davis after B10’s.  I’m not sure many would sound like Brooks unless they were doing it intentionally.

Does having a key board turn you into an idiot?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

You can have any opinion you want and discuss any topic you want.  As you all have your opinion about Brooks, I am entitled to have my own opinion about people on here who bash a kid they have never met.

A kid?  He will be 24 a month from tomorrow. A 23 year old kid.   That "kid"  has no problem bashing others... that is a lot of what is being spoken about here.

I am okay calling college students 'kids.'  I am closer to 60 than 50.

I am also okay with other people not calling them 'kids.'  Especially considering that legal age to drink is 21, legal age to shoot and kill someone for the USofA is 17, w/ parental consent.

It is subjective.  I view it as relative, as I would not call them a kid against a high schooler or one of my grandchildren, for example.

Legally Brooks is not a kid.  Brooks is also done with collegiate wrestling, so I would not call him a kid anymore myself.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

bash him and insult him as a human being because you are to insecure in yourself to understand and be okay with the fact that people in this world believe different things than you.

What have you done with the Bigbrog that post' almost exclusively in the, 'Non Wrestling Topics' forum, because this post isn't him...:classic_dry:

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperBonBon said:

Why is it disqualifying.  Tom Ryan does it at Ohio State.  A public university.

But does he though? Nothing wrong with having Christian beliefs. Everyone has beliefs. Nothing wrong with strong beliefs either, religious or otherwise. The issue, from an employment standpoint, is when your religious beliefs impact your ability to be even handed and fair to the kids you are responsible for — some of whom may share your beliefs and some not. I don’t question Ryan’s ability to do that. Listen to Brooks’ interview, and tell me if you can say the same for him.

Again, I like Brooks a LOT, and will cheer him on like crazy this summer, but he is going to need to fix this before going into a diverse workforce. 

• Bob 3

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

What have you done with the Bigbrog that post' almost exclusively in the, 'Non Wrestling Topics' forum, because this post isn't him...:classic_dry:

Hey...you leave him out of this!!  He has his own mind and I can't control what he posts over there!

• Haha 1

Basch is very hard to listen to.  His ‘questions’ are tortured mazes that seem to be spiraling into who knows where …. And then finally, a simple question pops out.  Lead with the simple question!

On 5/13/2024 at 8:19 PM, BAC said:

Finally watched this video.  Oh man.  I've always liked Brooks but that wasn't a good look at all. 

First he says/implies Taylor and others were somehow trying to structure PSU practices in a way that was harmful to him.  Like... huh?  Then he basically says that his win over Taylor should prove beyond a doubt that his religion is the correct one and Taylor's beliefs are wrong.  LOL.  I dunno Aaron, are you sure Taylor's win last year didn't prove *his* beliefs are right and *yours* are wrong?  Crazy.  I loathe this "I won therefore my religion is the right one" BS, and to foist that mindset on a longtime teammate is just way out of line. 

Interviews like this are also pretty much disqualifying for any coaching position in the near future.  If you are a school looking for a coach or assistant coach, you have to worry that he's going to give preferential treatment to those who share his Christian beliefs, and discriminate against those who don't, both in how he recruits and how he coaches guys.   

BTW, whoever said Basch is like CP times 1000 (or something like that) had it right.  Man that guy is hard to watch.  Could his nose have been any further up Brooks' butt?

What are Taylor's beliefs? Isn't he also a Christian?

Basch is very hard to listen to.  His ‘questions’ are tortured mazes that seem to be spiraling into who knows where …. And then finally, a simple question pops out.  Lead with the simple question!

Also seems like he doesn’t actually listen to the response half the time.

“That’s great” or similar is his response to his guest’s statements with a lot of them. I’ve heard a few where the thing the guest said was decidedly … not great … and it was cringe inducing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk