NIL State

Posted (edited)

How can you:

1) be the highest paid nil deal in all of college wrestling.   By a lot….

and at the same time

2) wiped your arse with large nil deals because your so loyal to your current college.  

can you be both of these at once?

if your loyalty is pre-bought is that loyalty to your institution or just loyalty to the $,$$$,$$$?

https://basicbluesnation.com/penn-state-wrestling-news-carter-starocci-makes-bold-claim-about-nil-earnings/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR34tGUsjIyyl3hFga6DB2IfVwhrQzRPkMkNGZMw76eRORNp_QWxPAEsJr4_aem_AW_73RdwEHFcKgqwesnxZbGOJJxwJmpOcQyLlLSMS3qH1NTFXUF6usyc0rPH42oumxPVgmxeosnlsRHCbaZ3ApsK

Edited by Caveira

• Caveira changed the title to NIL State
2 hours ago, Caveira said:

How can you:

and at the same time

2) wiped your arse with large nil deals because your so loyal to your current college.  

Yes

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

How can you:

and at the same time

if your loyalty is pre-bought is that loyalty to your institution or just loyalty to the $,$$$,$$$?

https://basicbluesnation.com/penn-state-wrestling-news-carter-starocci-makes-bold-claim-about-nil-earnings/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR34tGUsjIyyl3hFga6DB2IfVwhrQzRPkMkNGZMw76eRORNp_QWxPAEsJr4_aem_AW_73RdwEHFcKgqwesnxZbGOJJxwJmpOcQyLlLSMS3qH1NTFXUF6usyc0rPH42oumxPVgmxeosnlsRHCbaZ3ApsK

He is a very articulate young man. His quotes and quips will be regarded in the highest esteem amongst all the greats.  

"I'd spit in his face"

"Wipe your ass with that money"

I don't know why it repeatedly needs to be said, but the context there was that he turned down an offer (or three) that would have paid him handsomely to go elsewhere to stay home and still be the highest paid college wrestler next year.  Both can be true.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, paboom said:

Can't wait to see Carter's loyalty when his NIL and eventual NLWC money dries up one day...and it will.

You don't understand how endowments work nor do you understand why as long as there is one at Penn State for wrestling they will continue to own whoever they want with NIL.

16 hours ago, Caveira said:

How can you:

and at the same time

It is indeed possible for an athlete to have the largest NIL deal and to turn down competing deals that are smaller but large.

The athlete could also understand himself to have turned down the smaller offers out of loyalty. For instance, the athlete could turn down a slightly smaller competing offer out of hand because he cannot imagine leaving his current team.

Now, is there any point to dissecting claims made by athletes on social media? The answer is no.

51 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You don't understand how endowments work nor do you understand why as long as there is one at Penn State for wrestling they will continue to own whoever they want with NIL.

So you are saying Carter is going to be paid in perpetuity?

When he is done competing, say at 30 years old.  There will be no NIL, RTC or world medal money.  Hence, where does his loyalty lie then?

5 minutes ago, paboom said:

When he is done competing, say at 30 years old.  There will be no NIL, RTC or world medal money.  Hence, where does his loyalty lie then?

Where does anyone's loyalty lie when they move on with their lives and get a job? Usually still with the university where they went to school. 

Rather than asking poorly worded, elliptical questions with obvious answers that are not the ones you want, why don't you just make a declarative statement?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I don't know why it repeatedly needs to be said, but the context there was that he turned down an offer (or three) that would have paid him handsomely to go elsewhere to stay home and still be the highest paid college wrestler next year.  Both can be true.

They can both be true if you acknowledge them.  You can't claim to stay home for loyalty over money when you stayed home for loyalty and more money.

14 hours ago, The Kid said:

He is a very articulate young man. His quotes and quips will be regarded in the highest esteem amongst all the greats.  

"I'd spit in his face"

"Wipe your ass with that money"

My favorite was at NCAAs in Tulsa when he talked about meeting Trump.

“I like watching his interviews because he’s a big personality. He has a set of big balls. I like how his mind works. Pretty big being with him.”

26 minutes ago, boconnell said:

They can both be true if you acknowledge them.  You can't claim to stay home for loyalty over money when you stayed home for loyalty and more money.

Your assumption is not necessarily correct. He may have the largest NIL and have rejected an even larger offer elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, paboom said:

Ah, I understand what you meant by dry up.  You didn't mean that NLWC would be out of money, just that he wouldn't be getting money from it, presumably.  My apologies for the shortsightedness.

35 minutes ago, boconnell said:

You're not reading it well or maybe I didn't say it well.

He never said the latter.  He chose 'home for loyalty of money elsewhere' in that elsewhere was the key omitted word.  The amount of money he got for staying home is entirely irrelevant.  It could be $5 or $5 million.  Home over money elsewhere.

• Bob 1

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Your assumption is not necessarily correct. He may have the largest NIL and have rejected an even larger offer elsewhere.

He could have also rejected any amount of money elsewhere and still have it be true that he chose to stay home over money elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Ah, I understand what you meant by dry up.  You didn't mean that NLWC would be out of money, just that he wouldn't be getting money from it, presumably.  My apologies for the shortsightedness.

You're not reading it well or maybe I didn't say it well.

He never said the latter.  He chose 'home for loyalty of money elsewhere' in that elsewhere was the key omitted word.  The amount of money he got for staying home is entirely irrelevant.  It could be $5 or $5 million.  Home over money elsewhere.

Home and money over money elsewhere would be accurate.  You can't claim home over money when home was more money.  That's not how the english language works.

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If he was offered more money elsewhere then he would be correct.  I don't think he claimed that and I don't think anybody believes that happened.  If it did I believe we'd have a report about it.  We usually hear when huge numbers are thrown around.  

1 minute ago, boconnell said:

If he was offered more money elsewhere then he would be correct.  I don't think he claimed that and I don't think anybody believes that happened.  If it did I believe we'd have a report about it.  We usually hear when huge numbers are thrown around.  

He implied it when he said the ass wiping thing.

2 minutes ago, boconnell said:

But it seems never by PSU.  "they offered less."

12 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Home and money over money elsewhere would be accurate.  You can't claim home over money when home was more money.  That's not how the english language works.

You can too.  You're still ignoring the implied 'elsewhere' there.  Your statement 'You can't claim home over money elsewhere when home was more money.' is inaccurate.  The last part of that statements doesn't matter to the intended/implied point.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You can too.  You're still ignoring the implied 'elsewhere' there.  Your statement 'You can't claim home over money elsewhere when home was more money.' is inaccurate.  The last part of that statements doesn't matter to the intended/implied point.

You're doing some serious mental gymnastics to make sure a tweet isn't wrong.  I'll just leave it alone at this point because I should never have cared whether the tweet was right or wrong.

22 minutes ago, boconnell said:

You're doing some serious mental gymnastics to make sure a tweet isn't wrong.  I'll just leave it alone at this point because I should never have cared whether the tweet was right or wrong.

I'm not doing any mental gymnastics, you're just trying to be a dick to a college kid because it's easy from a keyboard.

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, paboom said:

Can't wait to see Carter's loyalty when his NIL and eventual NLWC money dries up one day...and it will.

Why don't you name the top 5 athletes that have left Caels program that rescinded their loyalty to PSU.  I'll spot you Suriano.  Who knows where his loyalties lie. 

You know D1 college wrestlers have options after college right?   4 Time NCAA champs more than most.  I guarantee there are people that will come out of the woodwork to sponsor him and hire him.  

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I'm not doing any mental gymnastics, you're just trying to be a dick to a college kid because it's easy from a keyboard.

Says the guy slinging insults on an internet discussion board in a thread about a social media post.  The lack of self-awareness is staggering.  

We would only really know his true allegiance if he was not paid as much as he is rumored to have been paid.  The question is,  If he does have a true allegiance, why did it take so much for him to stay/return for 5th year? It they did offer 1M, would he have returned for half that? I am all for paying college athletes, but 1M (even $500,000) seems excessive. It would be nice if there were some guidelines.  Soon PSU will have 10 athletes who are millionaires. I would find it easier to find allegiance if I was given 1M in college.