World OG qualifier brackets are out...

6 hours ago, d_jizzle_05 said:

Congrats to Zain... I've been to Benton, PA (D-4) and it's small-town America personified. There's country, and then there's COUNTRY...and Benton is definitely the latter. 

Benton strong!

6 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I think if Spencer wrestles to his ability, he can bring home the gold. His par terre was incredible this tourny. 

One takedown in each match resulting in +38 point differential from 4 takedowns (9.5 per takedown). 😳

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Agree on the last point. Keep in mind at WC’s last year, Stevan Micic went on an impressive run and won gold. If Micic can do it, Spencer Lee absolutely can too. 

And not to hate on Iowa, but if Spencer was this freaking good already, seems they kinda botched a sure thing. Almost criminal to prioritize his college career over world and Olympic medals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 3

6 hours ago, pokemonster said:

And not to hate on Iowa, but if Spencer was this freaking good already, seems they kinda botched a sure thing. Almost criminal to prioritize his college career over world and Olympic medals.

No college kid or college coach thinks this way. Not practically anyway. They may value medals in their minds, but they won't change college schedules or training programs or redshirts to adapt to prioritizing a freestyle career except in very rare cases. (i.e. Trials minus Vito, minus Carr, minus O'Toole, injured/limited Starocci--even in an Olympic year)

7 hours ago, pokemonster said:

49 minutes ago, maligned said:

No college kid or college coach thinks this way. Not practically anyway. They may value medals in their minds, but they won't change college schedules or training programs or redshirts to adapt to prioritizing a freestyle career except in very rare cases. (i.e. Trials minus Vito, minus Carr, minus O'Toole, injured/limited Starocci--even in an Olympic year)

I am about 110% sure that Spencer and his dad had a HUGE say in how he was used at Iowa.  Don't blame the Brands for anything.

27 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I am about 110% sure that Spencer and his dad had a HUGE say in how he was used at Iowa.  Don't blame the Brands for anything.

As I remember it Lee seemed to be relieved to be taking a few years off from FS. I can't blame him, doing a fullbore FS schedule in addition to folk must be brutal.  

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I just don't get it... If he's "beating the crap" out of the Olympic rep in the room (per Dan Dennis), why the hell would he not want to at least kick the tires on the freestyle scene? 

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I just don't get it... If he's "beating the crap" out of the Olympic rep in the room (per Dan Dennis), why the hell would he not want to at least kick the tires on the freestyle scene? 

Because his knees were hurt. He did an interview with Bader a few months back,  He explained a lot of what was going on.  A lot of the choices being made regarding NCAA/freestyle were his choices, meaning his father was also probably heavily involved.

And he did kick the tires on the freestyle scene  Won US Open in 2019, teching Vito along the way.

22 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Because his knees were hurt. He did an interview with Bader a few months back,  He explained a lot of what was going on.  A lot of the choices being made regarding NCAA/freestyle were his choices, meaning his father was also probably heavily involved.

And he did kick the tires on the freestyle scene  Won US Open in 2019, teching Vito along the way.

I forgot about that and just watched the match where he beat Nato, then his interview... 1:45 mark. Seems like he left it all up to Tom and Terry. 

Q: How much international wrestling will you do?

Spencer: As much as I'm told to do

Q: You have no idea?

Spencer: Nope!

Q: Who's calling those shots?

Spencer: Tom and Terry Brands!

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6570901-2019-senior-nationals-us-olympic-trials-qualifier/videos?playing=6626648

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I forgot about that and just watched the match where he beat Nato, then his interview... 1:45 mark. Seems like he left it all up to Tom and Terry. 

Q: How much international wrestling will you do?

Spencer: As much as I'm told to do

Q: You have no idea?

Spencer: Nope!

Q: Who's calling those shots?

Spencer: Tom and Terry Brands!

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6570901-2019-senior-nationals-us-olympic-trials-qualifier/videos?playing=6626648

Interesting

Yeah, I missed out over the weekend.   I meant to follow but got busy with other things. 

Can any of  you give the latest on how GR and WFS did?   I know GR will not have a full team.   What about WFS?

mspart

1 minute ago, mspart said:

Yeah, I missed out over the weekend.   I meant to follow but got busy with other things. 

Can any of  you give the latest on how GR and WFS did?   I know GR will not have a full team.   What about WFS?

mspart

I believe WFS was 6 for 6 prior I don't think we qualified anyone at LCQ Bey fell one match short so I think we have 3 guys, but someone should fact check me.

We have full MFS.   I think we have full WFS as I don't see any US entrants in last chance (but I could be wrong and didn't see it).    It looks like we have heaviest 3 weights for GR.   

mspart

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

We have full MFS.   I think we have full WFS as I don't see any US entrants in last chance (but I could be wrong and didn't see it).    It looks like we have heaviest 3 weights for GR.   

mspart

6-WFS

6-MFS

3-GR

7 hours ago, maligned said:

That is not true - both Yianni and Vito ORS in 2020 as did Dayton Fix - their focus was on Olympic gold.  Alirez did that this year.  Jon Trenge ORS back in 2004.  Many schools will work with their athletes to do whatever the athlete thinks will help them achieve their goals.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

That is not true - both Yianni and Vito ORS in 2020 as did Dayton Fix - their focus was on Olympic gold.  Alirez did that this year.  Jon Trenge ORS back in 2004.  Many schools will work with their athletes to do whatever the athlete thinks will help them achieve their goals.

You're right that many of those qualified will take ORS's--but that feels like standard operating procedure. But I feel like non-standard moves like taking a 2nd olympic year off if it comes up, taking big chunks of time away from the college season to prioritize freestyle events and prep, or choosing a college weight that prioritizes non-college results are all the exception rather than the norm.

• Bob 1

In the instance of Yianni,Vito,Daton,Alirez all of them were top 2-3 at the weight at the time of their red shirt. You could argue Alirez but having teched Aliyev over the summer I think he knew at that point he had a real shot at making the team. I believe in all of these guys cases as well they never red-shirted (aside from daton) with ivy's not allowing it outside of an olympic and I believe Alirez started right away. So in that sense they were just leveling the playing field.

In the instance of Yianni,Vito,Daton,Alirez all of them were top 2-3 at the weight at the time of their red shirt. You could argue Alirez but having teched Aliyev over the summer I think he knew at that point he had a real shot at making the team. I believe in all of these guys cases as well they never red-shirted (aside from daton) with ivy's not allowing it outside of an olympic and I believe Alirez started right away. So in that sense they were just leveling the playing field.
These guys had a legitimate shot, but it seems most of the guys take an ORS just to get another year of training while preserving a year of eligibility.