It's official

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Okie State is gonna have to publish DTs salary. I'm interested if he's on par with Brands and other top notch coaches. AB might've just made DT a lottttt of money. 

Is he going to have to shut down or relinquish his stake in M2 tho? Compliance and such 

22 minutes ago, Southend said:

Maybe. But don’t get too excited here

Perhaps but next season is still six months away so why not dream up some FUN scenarios to kill the time

• Fire 2

I am whatever I need to be whenever I need to be it.

2 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Feeling DT can do better staff wise than Gilman.  Don’t know the guy, and DT is smarter than me at this stuff.  But just seems like he could attract someone even better for his staff.

gilman is tough, a lightweight, a soldier, been around a lot of great coaches, big attitude....not sure who trumps him. He models a lot of the behaviors you want.

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Is he going to have to shut down or relinquish his stake in M2 tho? Compliance and such 

what about his cows!

• Bob 1

Wow.  I try not to be hyperbolic, but this feels like the first genuinely groundbreaking hire since Cael joined PSU.  

Not only do I expect Taylor to pull many top recruits, but Oklahoma State in the past 18 months has pulled many of their own, and had boosters step up for some more. 

DT is not walking into a bare cupboard.  They already had the bones of a top 3 team on the way in.  

• Bob 3

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Wow.  I try not to be hyperbolic, but this feels like the first genuinely groundbreaking hire since Cael joined PSU.  

Not only do I expect Taylor to pull many top recruits, but Oklahoma State in the past 18 months has pulled many of their own, and had boosters step up for some more. 

DT is not walking into a bare cupboard.  They already had the bones of a top 3 team on the way in.  

This is the key point. When Cael went to PSU, it wasn't just the fact that he went that made them great.  It was the combination of the recruiting base, but more importantly, the resources that brought him there were going to allow him to build the program he wanted.  OSU will quickly be the #2 program. 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

what about his cows!

Yeah, so much for that argument.  I remember posts a couple months ago where people said he wouldn't ever take the Iowa job because of his farm and M2 training center....As if he can't also have a farm in Iowa/Oklahoma and he can't also have small businesses in Iowa/Oklahoma.  

• Bob 2

Just now, billyhoyle said:

Yeah, so much for that argument.  I remember posts a couple months ago where people said he wouldn't ever take the Iowa job because of his farm and M2 training center....As if he can't also have a farm in Iowa/Oklahoma and he can't also have small businesses in Iowa/Oklahoma.  

you remembering is a rare moment of satisfaction for me on this forum.

Just now, pokemonster said:

I've never been to state college, but one would think Oklahoma is a much better place to have a farm / livestock, right? 

yeah i was referencing the arguments alluded to in the post above.

5 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

gilman is tough, a lightweight, a soldier, been around a lot of great coaches, big attitude....not sure who trumps him. He models a lot of the behaviors you want.

And I would think DT has had him in the room at M2 and seen him work with the kids who go there.  Not just pulling straws…he must like his style.  And he has been the most consistent lightweight in the country for the last bunch of years.

This is great news all around.

Its great news for OSU.  Not that he's a qualitatively better coach than Coleman Scott would have been, but I can't wait to see how much of a draw Taylor will be on potential recruits.  

Its great news for Taylor. He is wise to strike while the iron's hot.  If 3-4 years pass after he stops competing, his marketability is way down, as recruits will have someone else's poster on their wall. Now is the time.

It is great news for college wrestling.  After winning by a *margin* of over 100 points, and more and more recruits looking to State College, the truth is that PSU has become TOO dominant. I miss the excitement of the team race.  

It is great news for Penn State too.  I realize some will disagree with me, but Penn State, in becoming SO good, is at risk of becoming like a monopoly:  when there's no competition, the quality of your output goes down. The only way they're able to stay sharp is in the intra-PSU competition.  They need someone nipping at their heels to stay strong, and no one's been able to do that lately.

Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

• Bob 1

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah i was referencing the arguments alluded to in the post above.

I always chuckled at those comments stating he'll never leave cuz of cows, some businesses, and M2 which is still fairly new. As if some cows and smoothies are gonna stop him from taking the job of a lifetime. 

• Bob 3

1 minute ago, BAC said:

It is great news for Penn State too.  I realize some will disagree with me, but Penn State, in becoming SO good, is at risk of becoming like a monopoly:  when there's no competition, the quality of your output goes down. The only way they're able to stay sharp is in the intra-PSU competition.  They need someone nipping at their heels to stay strong, and no one's been able to do that lately.

This is definitely not great news for PSU.  They have never been better in NCAA and Internationally.  Their biggest competition for the past four years is completely reliant on transfers, who usually get worse while coached there.  Taylor will actually be able to compete for recruits.

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

This is great news all around.

Its great news for OSU.  Not that he's a qualitatively better coach than Coleman Scott would have been, but I can't wait to see how much of a draw Taylor will be on potential recruits.  

Its great news for Taylor. He is wise to strike while the iron's hot.  If 3-4 years pass after he stops competing, his marketability is way down, as recruits will have someone else's poster on their wall. Now is the time.

It is great news for college wrestling.  After winning by a *margin* of over 100 points, and more and more recruits looking to State College, the truth is that PSU has become TOO dominant. I miss the excitement of the team race.  

This. I love how dominant PSU is and it’s fun coming up with different line up combinations with all the studs on the roster, but it’s a bit boring talking about the race for 2nd. I don’t think this will end right away mind you, I imagine it takes DT a few years to really get rolling. 

I am whatever I need to be whenever I need to be it.

17 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Feeling DT can do better staff wise than Gilman.  Don’t know the guy, and DT is smarter than me at this stuff.  But just seems like he could attract someone even better for his staff.

Olympic bronze. World Champ. Gilman might be a goofball, but not sure you’ll find someone better for the lower weights. Also seems like he’s over the IowaStyle brainwash now that he’s matured.

Add J’Den Cox to the mix, and Cael is in trouble after a couple of recruiting cycles.

I love Mizzou, but I haven’t been this pumped for college wrestling in a long time. Make the team race great again, DT!!

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

what about his cows!

There are cows in Oklahoma.  I know a guy with a ranch west side of town that'd be happy to take them in.  🤠

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm with you.  Ask me 5-6 years ago, and I'd tell you to stay away from Gilman.  But now?  He's still passionate but also reflective and thoughtful.  I think he's a guy you want next to you in war when you charge the hill.

• Bob 1