"Cowboy Screw Job"

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

No doubt. Smith must have believed that he had the final word on all things Cowboy wrestling. Then admin showed us exactly what his life's work is worth to them.

No.  John has always been about what & who is best for OSU.  Who do you think told the AD to be looking at guys like JB, KD, DT, CC etc.?  

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

No.  John has always been about what & who is best for OSU.  Who do you think told the AD to be looking at guys like JB, KD, DT, CC etc.?  

I hope you are right

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Sounds like it was a search firm.  And that DT may have reached out himself

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

I hope you are right

I'm betting one of the reasons they've been waiting to build the new facility is John wanting the new coach to have input.  Now that we are there let the 💰 flow.  

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Sounds like it was a search firm.  And that DT may have reached out himself

DT has been on the radar for years.

1 hour ago, HungusMungus said:

Coleman screwed Coleman 

You don't leave a solid head coaching job without an iron clad guarantee that you were the next inline 

Blind faith got him to this point. He will be fine and end up with a HC job in the next cycle. 

If Scott wasn't promised the job, then he's either not smart or took a calculated risk.

This also shows us where the ACC is in the wrestling pecking order, if one of their long-term coaches is willing to give up his HC job just for the chance to be considered by OSU.

• Poopy 1

4 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

If Scott wasn't promised the job, then he's either not smart or took a calculated risk.

This also shows us where the ACC is in the wrestling pecking order, if one of their long-term coaches is willing to give up his HC job just for the chance to be considered by OSU.

Only the AD could promise the job and he would be conferring with alumni and donors.  Do you think he did that?  Now he could have been promised first spot on the list.

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Only the AD could promise the job and he would be conferring with alumni and donors.  Do you think he did that?  Now he could have been promised first spot on the list.

OSU is a public school, which there is a clear criteria in Oklahoma for filling job vacancies that requires a certain amount of time for the job to be posted and an appropriate vetting process.  Ergo, there is no way that the AD could have promised anything (legally).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

OSU is a public school, which there is a clear criteria in Oklahoma for filling job vacancies that requires a certain amount of time for the job to be posted and an appropriate vetting process.  Ergo, there is no way that the AD could have promised anything (legally).

Exactly.  I did not happen. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

A lot of whinging going on here.

Coleman Scott is a big boy.  He will be fine.

If he decided to overlook the fact that the law requires there be a public job posting and a true vetting process of all applicants, then that is on him for not doing his diligence beforehand.

Agreed. Also, no way John Smith didn't bless this hire. 

• Bob 1

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Doesn’t seem like they took very long to “vet” DT?

• Bob 1

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Ergo, there is no way that the AD could have promised anything (legally).

The admins come to me and say, "Apply for the job, it's yours but we still have to go through the process of posting it and taking applications."

Nothing legally binding there, but it has and does happen. That's how I believe this went down and it just didn't happen.

• Bob 2

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Doesn’t seem like they took very long to “vet” DT?

They took too long, if anything.

14 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

The admins come to me and say, "Apply for the job, it's yours but we still have to go through the process of posting it and taking applications."

Nothing legally binding there, but it has and does happen. That's how I believe this went down and it just didn't happen.

As I have said (I definitely was not the first), there are three people that make it so it doesn't happen.  DT, JB, and Cunningham.

If I am an OSU fan I am insurmountably more happy with this fan.  Coleman didn't place higher than 12th at UNC as the HC there and was 16th or lower 6 of 7 times (2024 doesn't count as he wasn't there, obviously).

image.thumb.png.4fc8977dab0742988c63b16e0471d37b.png

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

As I have said (I definitely was not the first), there are three people that make it so it doesn't happen.  DT, JB, and Cunningham.

If I am an OSU fan I am insurmountably more happy with this fan.  Coleman didn't place higher than 12th at UNC as the HC there and was 16th or lower 6 of 7 times (2024 doesn't count as he wasn't there, obviously).

image.thumb.png.4fc8977dab0742988c63b16e0471d37b.png

How many times did he finish better than 3rd in the ACC?

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

They took too long, if anything.

Reports are that as late as Friday he had rejected the offer.  So they basically did the background check and whatever else in a day?  Or did they do that before he had even accepted?

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

That is like saying 'finished better than 8th or 9th in the B1G' isn't it?  Duke doesn't count.  So better than 3/5?

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Reports are that as late as Friday he had rejected the offer.  So they basically did the background check and whatever else in a day?  Or did they do that before he had even accepted?

Well to be fair, I believe the job post had/has to be listed for a certain amount of time.  So when it was posted was when the actual clock started.  The vetting has to be done in a particular order, but I think the time constraints there are basically however long each step actually takes and not on a clock.

Anyone think Taylor keeps CS on as Asst Head Coach?  CS may have said I have been a head coach and it's not what I want to do?  He may like the development of the wrestlers and the administrative stuff drives him nuts?  Or do you think Taylor brings in all his own guys for assistants? 

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So the answer is technically two.

2023: 2W - 3L
2022: 3W - 2L
2021: 3W - 2L
2020: 4W - 1L (beat VTech)
2019: 41 - 1L (beat VTech)
2018: 3W - 2L
2017: 3W - 2L
2016: 2W - 3L (lost to Duke)

3 minutes ago, TheDFP said:

Anyone think Taylor keeps CS on as Asst Head Coach?  CS may have said I have been a head coach and it's not what I want to do?  He may like the development of the wrestlers and the administrative stuff drives him nuts?  Or do you think Taylor brings in all his own guys for assistants? 

I think keeping someone with OSU roots on staff would be a good thing to do.

That said, after seeing Jordan Oliver's tweet about him being a middleweight coach there, I would go with JO over CS.  A flashier start brings in the recruits you want, which lets you mold the Dynasty your (DT's) way.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think keeping someone with OSU roots on staff would be a good thing to do.

That said, after seeing Jordan Oliver's tweet about him being a middleweight coach there, I would go with JO over CS.  A flashier start brings in the recruits you want, which lets you mold the Dynasty your (DT's) way.

Got PA covered.  Scott has Western, DT has Central and Oliver has Eastern.    Pretty good recipe for success?  

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So the answer is technically two.

2023: 2W - 3L
2022: 3W - 2L
2021: 3W - 2L
2020: 4W - 1L (beat VTech)
2019: 41 - 1L (beat VTech)
2018: 3W - 2L
2017: 3W - 2L
2016: 2W - 3L (lost to Duke)

Thanks for the research.  Point being he couldn’t even place better than 3rd most years in the ACC, and never won it.  He’s a good coach, but OK State wants more than just a good coach.  Taylor may have a lower floor if he completely flames out as an NCAA coach, but obviously the ceiling is much higher.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Thanks for the research.  Point being he couldn’t even place better than 3rd most years in the ACC, and never won it.  He’s a good coach, but OK State wants more than just a good coach.  Taylor may have a lower floor if he completely flames out as an NCAA coach, but obviously the ceiling is much higher.

Oh, I agree.  I also believe that he is going to have an immediate impact (1-3 years away) from pulling the height of that ceiling down, in the Penn State dominance department.

I think it is also likely that Penn State keeps the gap, but the gap between OSU as the #2 and the next tier of teams.

With the new NIL and transfer rules, next year could have quite a few Penn State guys make the move over (Haines, Ryder, Kasak, etc.).  Even losing them, Penn State could still run away with 150+ points in 2026.