With entry list published, projected seeds for the Last Chance OG qualifier

Entries have been published, and we can now know the prospective seeds from UWW's rankings for the 57kg and 65kg weights that Spencer Lee and Zain Retherford will endeavor to qualify.

At 57, the potential seeds are among the clear favorites, so it's nice to see them separated.

But 65 is a joke built on a broken ranking/seeding system, where none of the 4 seeds would be considered a favorite for one of the 3 available slots. Because only 4 are seeded and the rest of the bracket is random, these undeserving seeds leave open the possibility for what we've seen each of the last 2 cycles at 65kg at this event: Our guy in a loaded bracket half and someone undeserving qualifying from the other half.

57kg:
1) Aman, INDIA
2) Dingashvili, GEORGIA
3) Zandanbud, MONGOLIA
4) ?? (no other entrants ranked in UWW published Top 20)

65kg:
1) Sacultan, MOLDOVA
2) Finesilver, ISRAEL
3) Leutert, SWITZERLAND
4) Kudiev, TAJIKISTAN

In Greco at 77kg, Kamal Bey should get a seed. Roberts and Coleman won't be seeded.

Based on published seeding points/rankings:

1) #5 Gutu, MOLDOVA
2) #6 Lomadze, GEORGIA
3) #11 Kamal Bey, USA
4) #12 Levai, HUNGARY

Kamal had a 2023 victory over Levai, 7-3, and a loss to Gutu, 3-3.

Projected seeds for other freestyle weights:

74:
1) Chamizo, ITALY (automatic bc of the Azerbaijan euro qualifier debacle)
2) Salkazanov, SLOVAKIA
3) Demirtas, TURKEY
4) Kuramagomedov, HUNGARY

86:
1) Gocen, TURKEY
2) Sharipov, BAHRAIN
3) Ramazonov, BULGARIA
4) Greil, AUSTRIA

97:
1) Thiele, GERMANY
2) Baranowski, POLAND
3) Bajcajev, HUNGARY
4) Bataev, BULGARIA

125:
1) Ligeti, HUNGARY
2) Baran, POLAND
3) Lazarev, KYRGYZSTAN
4) Khotsianivskyi, UKRAINE

• Bob 3
  • Brain 2
  • Fire 4

4 hours ago, maligned said:

Entries have been published, and we can now know the prospective seeds from UWW's rankings for the 57kg and 65kg weights that Spencer Lee and Zain Retherford will endeavor to qualify.

At 57, the potential seeds are among the clear favorites, so it's nice to see them separated.

But 65 is a joke built on a broken ranking/seeding system, where none of the 4 seeds would be considered a favorite for one of the 3 available slots. Because only 4 are seeded and the rest of the bracket is random, these undeserving seeds leave open the possibility for what we've seen each of the last 2 cycles at 65kg at this event: Our guy in a loaded bracket half and someone undeserving qualifying from the other half.

57kg:
1) Aman, INDIA
2) Dingashvili, GEORGIA
3) Zandanbud, MONGOLIA

65kg:
1) Sacultan, MOLDOVA
2) Finesilver, ISRAEL
3) Leutert, SWITZERLAND
4) Kudiev, TAJIKISTAN

In Greco at 77kg, Kamal Bey should get a seed. Roberts and Coleman won't be seeded.

1) #5 Gutu, MOLDOVA
2) #6 Lomadze, GEORGIA
3) #11 Kamal Bey, USA
4) #12 Levai, HUNGARY

74:
2) Salkazanov, SLOVAKIA
3) Demirtas, TURKEY

86:
1) Gocen, TURKEY
2) Sharipov, BAHRAIN
3) Ramazonov, BULGARIA
4) Greil, AUSTRIA

97:
1) Thiele, GERMANY
2) Baranowski, POLAND
3) Bajcajev, HUNGARY
4) Bataev, BULGARIA

125:
1) Ligeti, HUNGARY
2) Baran, POLAND
3) Lazarev, KYRGYZSTAN

Nice to see you expand beyond indianamat

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, maligned said:

57kg:
1) Aman, INDIA
2) Dingashvili, GEORGIA
3) Zandanbud, MONGOLIA

65kg:
1) Sacultan, MOLDOVA
2) Finesilver, ISRAEL
3) Leutert, SWITZERLAND
4) Kudiev, TAJIKISTAN

1) #5 Gutu, MOLDOVA
2) #6 Lomadze, GEORGIA
3) #11 Kamal Bey, USA
4) #12 Levai, HUNGARY

74:
2) Salkazanov, SLOVAKIA
3) Demirtas, TURKEY

86:
1) Gocen, TURKEY
2) Sharipov, BAHRAIN
3) Ramazonov, BULGARIA
4) Greil, AUSTRIA

97:
1) Thiele, GERMANY
2) Baranowski, POLAND
3) Bajcajev, HUNGARY
4) Bataev, BULGARIA

125:
1) Ligeti, HUNGARY
2) Baran, POLAND
3) Lazarev, KYRGYZSTAN

Is sarlak not entered for Iran at 57?

Funny that Dingashvilli is in this bracket, Spencer teched him the last time he wrestled internationally 8 years ago. could be perhaps the only guy internationally that has felt Spencer.

1 Aman Sehrawat (IND) Maxim Saculțan (MDA) Frank Chamizo Marquez (ITA) DEC Osman Göçen (TUR) Erik Thiele (GER) Dániel Ligeti (HUN)
2 Roberti Dingashvili (GEO) Joshua Finesilver (ISR) Taimuraz Salkazanov (SVK) Magomed Sharipov (BRN) Zbigniew Baranowski (POL) Robert Baran (POL)
3 Zanabazar Zandanbud (MGL) Nino Leutert (SUI) Soner Demirtaş (TUR) Magomed Ramazanov (BUL) Vladislav Baitcaev (HUN) Aiaal Lazarev (KGZ)
4 Roland Tambi Nforsong (CMR) Abdulmazhid Kudiev (TJK) Murad Kuramagomedov (HUN) Benjamin Greil (AUT) Ahmed Bataev (BUL) Oleksandr Khotsianivskiy (UKR)

These are the seeds for each category. Chamizo is top seed per UWW decision - if he's not, then Salkazanov is 1, and Kaipanov is the new 4. Spencer Lee is 6th, so he may be the 4 seed or higher if those above him are replaced.

For Greco, see below:

1 Gevorg Gharibyan (ARM) K. István Váncza (HUN) Alexandrin Guțu (MDA) Kiryl Maskevich (AINB) Arvi Savolainen (FIN) Iakobi Kajaia (GEO)  
2 Léo Tudezca (FRA) Alejandro Sancho (USA) Iuri Lomadze (GEO) Alex Bjurberg Kessidis (SWE) Mihail Kajaia (SRB) Heiki Nabi (EST)  
3 Pridon Abuladze (GEO) Mihai Mihuț (ROU) Kamal Bey (USA) Daniel Grégorich (CUB) Aleksandar Stjepanetic (SWE) Alin Alexuc-Ciurariu (ROU)  
4 Sadyk Lalaev (AINR) Julián Horta (COL) Zoltán Lévai (HUN)  Park Sang-hyeon (KOR) Felix Baldauf (NOR) David Ovasapyan (ARM)  

For some reason, Sancho is in the entry list, however he is bound to be replaced and Amaev will be the new 4 seed as others move up.

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

oh wow I thought he had competed in some ranking series events.

Since July '22 where he lost a tight one with Gilman in Tunisia, he's gone 0-1 at '22 Worlds and 0-1 at '23 Asians--that's it for UWW competition.

4 hours ago, Shibboleth said:
1 Aman Sehrawat (IND) Maxim Saculțan (MDA) Frank Chamizo Marquez (ITA) DEC Osman Göçen (TUR) Erik Thiele (GER) Dániel Ligeti (HUN)
2 Roberti Dingashvili (GEO) Joshua Finesilver (ISR) Taimuraz Salkazanov (SVK) Magomed Sharipov (BRN) Zbigniew Baranowski (POL) Robert Baran (POL)
3 Zanabazar Zandanbud (MGL) Nino Leutert (SUI) Soner Demirtaş (TUR) Magomed Ramazanov (BUL) Vladislav Baitcaev (HUN) Aiaal Lazarev (KGZ)
4 Roland Tambi Nforsong (CMR) Abdulmazhid Kudiev (TJK) Murad Kuramagomedov (HUN) Benjamin Greil (AUT) Ahmed Bataev (BUL) Oleksandr Khotsianivskiy (UKR)

These are the seeds for each category. Chamizo is top seed per UWW decision - if he's not, then Salkazanov is 1, and Kaipanov is the new 4. Spencer Lee is 6th, so he may be the 4 seed or higher if those above him are replaced.

For Greco, see below:

1 Gevorg Gharibyan (ARM) K. István Váncza (HUN) Alexandrin Guțu (MDA) Kiryl Maskevich (AINB) Arvi Savolainen (FIN) Iakobi Kajaia (GEO)  
2 Léo Tudezca (FRA) Alejandro Sancho (USA) Iuri Lomadze (GEO) Alex Bjurberg Kessidis (SWE) Mihail Kajaia (SRB) Heiki Nabi (EST)  
3 Pridon Abuladze (GEO) Mihai Mihuț (ROU) Kamal Bey (USA) Daniel Grégorich (CUB) Aleksandar Stjepanetic (SWE) Alin Alexuc-Ciurariu (ROU)  
4 Sadyk Lalaev (AINR) Julián Horta (COL) Zoltán Lévai (HUN)  Park Sang-hyeon (KOR) Felix Baldauf (NOR) David Ovasapyan (ARM)  

For some reason, Sancho is in the entry list, however he is bound to be replaced and Amaev will be the new 4 seed as others move up.

All of this matches what I put in the original post from just what I found from entry lists and UWW rankings--but where did you get the rest of the 57kg info that has rankings beyond the Top 20 that determined the Cameroonian as the 4-seed and Spencer as 6th in line?

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, maligned said:

All of this matches what I put in the original post from just what I found from entry lists and UWW rankings--but where did you get the rest of the 57kg info that has rankings beyond the Top 20 that determined the Cameroonian as the 4-seed and Spencer as 6th in line?

Now Turkey added Karavus instead of Atli and the he'll be the 2 seed. I got the info from UWW, which sometimes shows the full rankings. Also, if you want you can just add up the rankings this is off of - the 2023 world champs, the continental championships of 2024 and the Zagreb Ranking series. Also, for African wrestlers you have to add African Games. You can use the system - https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/wai/files/hhezgc8rlkkke8hr.pdf

So the current 57 rankings are below. Only top 4 are seeded, the rest are alternate seeds as it were.

1 Aman Sehrawat (IND)
2 Muhammet Karavuş (TUR)
3 Roberti Dingashvili (GEO)
4 Zandanbudyn Zanabazar (MGL)
--  
5 Roland Tambi Nforsong (CMR)
6 Horst J.J. Lehr (GER)
7 Spencer Lee (USA)
8 Georgi Vangelov (BUL)
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

1 hour ago, Shibboleth said:

Now Turkey added Karavus instead of Atli and the he'll be the 2 seed. I got the info from UWW, which sometimes shows the full rankings. Also, if you want you can just add up the rankings this is off of - the 2023 world champs, the continental championships of 2024 and the Zagreb Ranking series. Also, for African wrestlers you have to add African Games. You can use the system - https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/cups/wai/files/hhezgc8rlkkke8hr.pdf

So the current 57 rankings are below. Only top 4 are seeded, the rest are alternate seeds as it were.

1 Aman Sehrawat (IND)
2 Muhammet Karavuş (TUR)
3 Roberti Dingashvili (GEO)
4 Zandanbudyn Zanabazar (MGL)
--  
5 Roland Tambi Nforsong (CMR)
6 Horst J.J. Lehr (GER)
7 Spencer Lee (USA)
8 Georgi Vangelov (BUL)

Thanks for the update and explanation! Although Karavus is probably more of a problem than Atli at this point, I'm glad all 4 seeds are now top guys. The death risk for us is needing 3 straight wins against top guys. Correct seeding sets Spencer up to be able both to afford a slip-up and to need only 2 elite wins.

I didn't see Palacio in the entries.  Didn't he attempt to qualify at the Pan Am qualifier.  Is he injured or something?  He was calling out that heckler just the other day.

34 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I didn't see Palacio in the entries.  Didn't he attempt to qualify at the Pan Am qualifier.  Is he injured or something?  He was calling out that heckler just the other day.

He was entered, but never took the mat.  I don't know if he weighed in or was even on location at the time, though.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Was his loss to Brazil at the qualifier or the championships?

That was in the qualifier (end of Feb) at 74kg.  I didn't see him in the results for the championships (earlier in Feb).  I am more surprised to not see him in the entries for the World Qualifier.  I would have thought if he wrestled in the Pan Am qualifier he'd at least take a crack at the world qualifier.

2 minutes ago, fishbane said:

That was in the qualifier (end of Feb) at 74kg.  I didn't see him in the results for the championships (earlier in Feb).  I am more surprised to not see him in the entries for the World Qualifier.  I would have thought if he wrestled in the Pan Am qualifier he'd at least take a crack at the world qualifier.

One of my former students has done the whole process for the past several years.  Wrestled multiple ranking series, four continentals, and two worlds.  Not going to Istanbul...

not relevant for our guys but I heard that cherman valiev was registered for Albania. 74kg is going to be an absolute nightmare to qualify. And just add another guy potentially at the Olympics that could probably beat anyone.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

not relevant for our guys but I heard that cherman valiev was registered for Albania. 74kg is going to be an absolute nightmare to qualify. And just add another guy potentially at the Olympics that could probably beat anyone.

Wow.

FYI to those that don't know: Valiev was '23 Russian champ and '22 runner-up. Beast.

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

Wow.

FYI to those that don't know: Valiev was '23 Russian champ and '22 runner-up. Beast.

just looked at the registered atheltes and he is in fact on there I was told bekzod is the rep for uzbekistan would have been surreal to see sidakov,zhamolov,valiev,kadi,salkazonov in the same bracket.