Next 4 timer - what school?

With two schools having two 4 time NCAA Champions - where will the next 4 timer come from?

Cornell & Penn State have two each. Doesn't give them the edge, does it?

Iowa has none - are they due?

Just about the schools, not which individual wrestler can probably do it. Way to many variables - both individually as well as for the school, but you have to start somewhere.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Doesn't look like we have anybody on pace for 4 as of right now so we'll have to look at the incoming classes. I'd say most likely is Penn State with the recruits they're bringing in. Unless somebody else snags Marcus Blaze (pls do this Buckeyes). 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

list of guys I can see doing it from most to least confident

Marcus Blaze (watching Lilledahl torch the field this week but not being able to really touch blazes legs kinda speaks volumes on just how good this kid is)

Bo Bassett: my only real concern with Bo is burnout or injury I love his work ethic but waking up before 5 am during your developmental years constantly to train and it seems hes been doing it for years feels like it could come back to bite you but I may be reading too much into that I just think in a 7 minute match its gonna be hard for guys to stop him + he has 2 years of high school left)

Ben Davino: I think hes lost once in 2-3 years in high school has not wrestled senior level like some of his peers but he has the last wins over blaze,forrest,knox I also think hes a career 133 which bodes well for him imo and I expect him to red shirt.

Jax Forrest: This weekend was a bump in the road for Jax but im wondering if making 125.4 two weekends in a row and going through tough competition Is too much for him. Hes wrestled between 121 and 126 for like 2 years now and he has a huge frame would like to see him take time to grow like Bo did. The talent is not a question and his feel I think is just something you're born with the two more years of high school is also in his favor here.

PJ duke: I wanted to see him against higher level comp and he blew me away.Probably not a real concern its just one match but he did seem tired against Webster in the second, Webster was just trying to make something happen and walked into an inside trip so I guess I have a small concern about his tank for 7 minutes but he has another year of high school so im not all too concerned 

Luke Lilledahl: Only thing that hurts my confidence in Luke is I think hes going right away and I believe hes a bit better at free than folk. That being said I absolutely think he could win it next year PSU if they have anything going against them is their 125 track record.

Aedon Sinclair: If he goes right away for Missouri I don't think he gets it done, hes incredible but he did struggle with the physicality of the more mature guys at the LCQ so I think he needs some time to mature.

Connor Mirasola: For a heavier guy this kids ability to score in different ways on his feet are absolutely unreal.

Ladarion Lockett: Would like to see his handfight evolve a bit he may have issues with guys that are super positionally sound if he can't open them up.

Melvin Miller: He's only a freshman in high school but this kids ability to find angles on his feet are beautiful to watch if you have not watched him wrestled Id watch his run through cadets its unreal. Hes also probably going to end up somewhere between 174-197 which given his skillset I think is a huge plus. I just think one of the other guys will do it first.

Dreshaun ross: just a specimen of a human being kids like 7 feet tall and moves like a lighter guy, Unfortunately I think we may lose him to football.

• Bob 7

16 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

You'd think so, but I just can't see anyone they have coming up to get it done.  Apologies to Gabe Arnold.

Gabe Arnold and Angelo Ferrari are both very good. Angelo has rarely lost. 

23 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

What weight do you think Angelo will wrestle? 165 or 174.

I think it would be best for Iowa if he redshirted and grew into 184. Not sure if that is in consideration or not.

• Bob 1

Gabe and Angelo are both guys that rely super heavily on their defense. Thats not necessarily a bad thing but unless they expand their offense I think to be able to win 4 national titles you need more than a few go to attacks and super stingy defense.

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Gabe and Angelo are both guys that rely super heavily on their defense. Thats not necessarily a bad thing but unless they expand their offense I think to be able to win 4 national titles you need more than a few go to attacks and super stingy defense.

Dake and Starocci fit that bill. Brooks to a lesser extent. 

• Bob 1

On 4/28/2024 at 6:07 PM, Truzzcat said:

Dreshaun ross: just a specimen of a human being kids like 7 feet tall and moves like a lighter guy, Unfortunately I think we may lose him to football.

I'm not saying he's the best of this group...but he may be such a freak, IF he Wrestlers, he could be the most likely AND the first 4X Champ at HWT.

He just looks so funny in his stance. You look at him and you're 'the hell is wrong with his back? He looks like the hunchback.' Then he stands up and you realize...he's just 6'5 and his back is just THICK. He just looks funny bent over like that, but he's explosive, long, strong and seems pretty even keeled.

*It's actually somewhat funny to me that Sinclair beat him pretty badly last year. I know he was a couple grades below him, but if this was 30 years ago and you didn't know what every top Wrestler looked like, you'd get out to Fargo or wherever and you'd be looking around for this stud at 195 and you'd see this red headed kid who's ~5'8 and you would immediately dismiss him...and he'd go out and absolutely put on on ya. 

Anyway, my thoughts...whoever gets lucky as a Freshmen in this group. Mesenbrink lost by a point in the toughest weight. Haines went as a True Frosh. Snyder, True Frosh. Stieber, he had to get a bit of a...controversial call and upset a stud in Oliver(right call, point of emphasis that year, Oliver needed to get his head out). But it's just so hard guessing who will and who won't.

Crookham beats Vito twice and the 2nd time, it's more convincing than the first, but he can't get the sweep(Vito is also one of the best in the world).

Prediction-Carroll wins it at 197 next year and he's the next 4X Champ, but never have there been more 18-19-year-old kids with the ability to go with anyone.

That it could be one of 20 kids in the next 2-3 years(first title)...that's wild.

8 hours ago, Gus said:

Dake and Starocci fit that bill. Brooks to a lesser extent. 

Very true I always felt like Dake could get one if he needed it though, like after DT doubled him in the finals he immediately went and got that back. Carter early on definitely relied more on winning one position matches. Its hard to say yet with Angelo having not seen him in college but I feel like Arnold keeps every match relatively close whereas Carter at least separated from guys that were never going to sniff the blood round. I just think it's hard to go 20-0 at Ncaa's if you aren't cruising in some matches. He's going to be a RS freshman next year though so he could certainly make jumps in his offense however that does not seem to be the Iowa way.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

Very true I always felt like Dake could get one if he needed it though, like after DT doubled him in the finals he immediately went and got that back. Carter early on definitely relied more on winning one position matches. Its hard to say yet with Angelo having not seen him in college but I feel like Arnold keeps every match relatively close whereas Carter at least separated from guys that were never going to sniff the blood round. I just think it's hard to go 20-0 at Ncaa's if you aren't cruising in some matches. He's going to be a RS freshman next year though so he could certainly make jumps in his offense however that does not seem to be the Iowa way.

If you look at Carter's redshirt year and his RSFr year stats he was wrestling close matches with NQ type guys (Jared Siegrist, Ben Harvey, lost to Donnell Washington). He did not have any signature wins over AA's his redshirt year and had a bunch of close matches his RSFr year. Starocci is a winner and found a way to win all of those close matches. Dake did the same. We will see if Gabe and Angelo are able to do the same. 

• Bob 2