Brooks stalled his way to the Oly’s…prove me wrong…

The early passivity point against DT was BS. I never want to be one of those guys, but if we’re being honest, come on. Not sure Brooks took a single shot in the match…it was all counters.

Brooks is amazing, don’t get me wrong, and I think he’ll represent the US well. Maybe I’m a homer, because I love God too…but still upset because DT was my guy. Felt like Brooks played defense the entire time.

7 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

The early passivity point against DT was BS. I never want to be one of those guys, but if we’re being honest, come on. Not sure Brooks took a single shot in the match…it was all counters.

Brooks is amazing, don’t get me wrong, and I think he’ll represent the US well. Maybe I’m a homer, because I love God too…but still upset because DT was my guy. Felt like Brooks played defense the entire time.

David Taylor is my all time favorite wrestler. That being said, Brooks scored, Taylor didn't. He looks stronger and much more dominant in both matches. Taylor did not look sharp at all. Brooks 100% looked like the better wrestler and posts like this diminish his accomplishment. So while you "never want to be one of those guys", you're doing exactly that.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Taylor looked defeated before the match even started. The cockiness was nowhere to be found. His nose and chin were about 2” lower than usual.

He wasn't as jacked and he walked slowly to the Mat.  

DT is still top four in the world (Yaz, Brooks, Zahid, DT in no particular order). That’s incredible given that he’s 33, which is old for elite wrestling, and has kids and businesses.

DT’s resume is amazing too. Two Hodges and four world-level golds including an Olympic gold (as well as five total medals). And he managed win golds after being stuck behind a prime Burroughs. He was like 5-1 versus Yazdani. That alone is insane.

Simply a fantastic wrestler who just lost to a monster in Brooks with grace and class. You can’t ask for more in an athlete. 

Edited by peanut
  • Fire 2

43 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Taylor looked defeated before the match even started. The cockiness was nowhere to be found. His nose and chin were about 2” lower than usual.

I remember thinking the same think right before the match started. It was almost as if Taylor could sense it might be a "changing of the guard" type match.

48 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Body language is a real thing.  Watch any random tournament where you don't know anyone and try guessing winners just based on body language.

• Brain 1

54 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Body language is a real thing.  Watch any random tournament where you don't know anyone and try guessing winners just based on body language.

I had a similar feel when watching Gilman's interview prior to his finals match with Lee. You could see he no longer had the fire to win.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

I had a similar feel when watching Gilman's interview prior to his finals match with Lee. You could see he no longer had the fire to win.

Yep never heard Gilman say before no matter what happens win or lose it's been a good ride

Same with yianni ...yianni lost the fire 

10 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

You must not watch high level freestyle wrestling. Watch how the best freestyle wrestlers in the world get 2 or 3 points and then shut it down. It is about winning and advancing. If necessary, maybe get a few more points. But smart stalling is taught from the time they are little. 

The Trials worked.  We are sending the best we have at each weight.

Historical records mean nothing.

I thought Brook's matches with Dieringer and Valencia were more competitive than the finals.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, peanut said:

DT is still top four in the world (Yaz, Brooks, Zahid, DT in no particular order).

It goes like this:

1. Zahid

2. Brooks

3. Zahid with sticky fingers

4. David Morris Taylor III

Unfortunately, #1 is only a mythical being.

Edited by JuanMogen
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

I was pulling for DT bc I felt like this was his last real shot, and that his interest was clearly waning.  I was hoping he'd go out on top.  Brooks is many things, stalling and defensive isn't really one of them.

Taylor did NOTHING in the first match.  Legit just stood there and watched the clock run out.

Then...he did...very little in the second match.

Across 12 minutes of wrestling he wrestled less than he would in 20 seconds against Yazdani.  He looked like he just didn't care.

I am legitimately wondering if he stayed because him retiring would cost the US its olympic qualification credentials for this year.  He looked like he was just ready to hand off the baton and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with that, wrestling is a very unrelenting sport, but you can see it on a wrestler's face when they are done.

Mark Hall has been done for awhile, and this is the first time I've seen DT have the same look that Mark Hall did in his eyes.  The "I'd like to be done with this and move on with life please" look.