2024 OTT Day 1 Session 2 thread

26 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

They also overruled the two point call ... so it is moot

That's not the point. The point is the illiniwrestling said Nolf spinned behind after the whistle was blown when clearly he didn't. The 2 points were overruled because the sequence should have been called dead but never was. Illiniwrestling made up revisionist history.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Watching MM/JB again and I realized why I don't like Mesenbrink: he is Dake with a gas tank and offense but thinks he is Askren with the bravado. Maybe he backs it up on the big kid level, but he is an ass at this point and that's saying something considering his opponent his thrown the best right hook for over a decade.

In general, I think that guys getting chippy and trying to bully their opponent for an athletic edge is fair game. And I think a wrestler responding to a bully attempt is also fair game. Wrestling, after all, is a regulated fight.

But attempting to injure an opponent is totally unacceptable. I don't think MM attempted to injure JB, but if he pushed low on his legs while out of bounds, that would be a grey area IMO.

1 minute ago, WildTurk said:

Penn state always gets talked up as a college team.  Rightfully so. 

But It's ok to admit they have a lot of douchebag fans.  They don't all go to church and praise God.  Trust me

I'd bet that guy goes to church, and regularly.

• Bob 2

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Watching MM/JB again and I realized why I don't like Mesenbrink: he is Dake with a gas tank and offense but thinks he is Askren with the bravado. Maybe he backs it up on the big kid level, but he is an ass at this point and that's saying something considering his opponent his thrown the best right hook for over a decade.

So basically you said you don't like him because he's like Dake and Askren, two of USA'S All time greats and hes an ass, without showing what makes him an ass. Hmmm.... between you and Messsenbrink, one of you is coming off like an ass... here's a hint, it ain't Mitchell.

4 minutes ago, TampaRyley said:

Agreed, if you aren’t the guy out there putting everything on the line you are watching as a fan of the sport and should show nothing but respect for the guys that put it all out there. They’re wrestling for team USA at the end of the day.

Vicarious life is precarious.  I would love to see some videos of fans watching their favorite wrestlers on their TVs or computers at home ... better yet, in the stands.  Especially when the mirror neurons are firing and one is leaning this way or that, crouching, or stretching to "help" the wrestler you follow.

Perhaps more of us should enter Masters tournaments and limp home with humility. 🙂

https://nautil.us/why-some-sports-fans-have-more-fun-237063/

5 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Vicarious life is precarious.  I would love to see some videos of fans watching their favorite wrestlers on their TVs or computers at home ... better yet, in the stands.  Especially when the mirror neurons are firing and one is leaning this way or that, crouching, or stretching to "help" the wrestler you follow.

Perhaps more of us should enter Masters tournaments and limp home with humility. 🙂

https://nautil.us/why-some-sports-fans-have-more-fun-237063/

I think we can both agree living vicariously isn’t healthy to begin with, so yes it would be precarious. But there’s also appropriate ways to conduct yourselves in social situations. Some people are fine walking around their apartment naked but they wouldn’t show up to the OTTs that way.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

So basically you said you don't like him because he's like Dake and Askren, two of USA'S All time greats and hes an ass, without showing what makes him an ass. Hmmm.... between you and Messsenbrink, one of you is coming off like an ass... here's a hint, it ain't Mitchell.

You can be talented and an ass, they *are mutually exclusive. As I said earlier, JB would knock your lights out, but to expand at least that was within the competitive bounds. MM does his junk when there is no wrestling and I would have punched him in the practice room but he would have also beaten me like he does most of his lesser opponents. Maybe it works out one day in favor of team USA the same way a stiff JB hook did but he's just an OP ass currently.

Edited by bnwtwg
Put aren't when I meant are

i am an idiot on the internet

23 minutes ago, peanut said:

In general, I think that guys getting chippy and trying to bully their opponent for an athletic edge is fair game. And I think a wrestler responding to a bully attempt is also fair game. Wrestling, after all, is a regulated fight.

But attempting to injure an opponent is totally unacceptable. I don't think MM attempted to injure JB, but if he pushed low on his legs while out of bounds, that would be a grey area IMO.

He did the same crap at NCAAs. He's DeSanto minus the autism.

Anyone want to talk about tomorrow's matches? ... there are some good ones coming up with everything on the line. 

Nahhh ... I didn't think so.   Carry on with the kibitzing and complaints about the first day of action 🙂Calling it kibitzing doesn't mean dingo racist humor isn't hurtful. :  r/TheMemersClub

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I'm not entirely sure you can even say that

I can because my work laptop is over yonder and Cassioppi's video protects me from eating his toes and kimuras

Just now, SocraTease said:

Anyone want to talk about tomorrow's matches? ... there are some good ones coming up with everything on the line. 

Nahhh ... I didn't think so.   Carry on with the kibitzing and complaints about the first day of action 🙂Calling it kibitzing doesn't mean dingo racist humor isn't hurtful. :  r/TheMemersClub

How's about we talk about advantages of world medalists 😉

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

How's about we talk about advantages of world medalists 😉

It's a bit like being an incumbent in politics.   I think Incumbents are re-elected something like 98% of the time.  And I'm not exaggerating.

There are no returning medalists at 57KG and 65KG so those matches might be more wide open and exciting.  

Edited by SocraTease

Olympic Trials Finals - Saturday, April 20

Men's Freestyle

57 kg: Spencer Lee vs Thomas Gilman

65 kg: Zain Retherford vs Nick Lee

74 kg: Kyle Dake vs Jason Nolf

86kg: David Taylor vs Aaron Brooks

97 kg: Kyle Snyder vs Isaac Trumble

125 kg: Mason Parris vs Hayden Zillmer

Women's Freestyle

50 kg: Sarah Hildebrandt vs Audrey Jimenez

53 kg: Dom Parrish vs Haley Augello

57 kg: Helen Maroulis vs Jacarra Winchester

62 kg: Kayla Miracle vs Macey Kilty

68 kg: Amit Elor vs Forrest Molinari

76 kg: Adeline Gray vs Kennedy Blades

Greco-Roman

60 kg: Ildar Hafizov vs Dalton Roberts

67 kg: Alejandro Sancho vs Ellis Coleman

77 kg: Kamal Bey vs Aliaksandr Kikinou

87 kg: Spencer Woods vs Payton Jacobson

97 kg: Alan Vera vs Josef Rau

130 kg: Cohlton Schultz vs Adam Coon

My wife's birthday celebrations have forced me to watch this into the early evening.  THOUGHTS! 

57: Lee and Gilman both looked good, but a second day of cutting for Gilman could be rough, especially for match 1.  That said, Spencer obviously not Mr. Gas Tank himself. 

65:  I thought all the semifinalists looked really good, actually!  Rooting for Zain.

74:  Sad to see, but Father Time always wins. Burroughs was stuck in mud.  F u c k that one fan.  Nolf was oddly passive, but that scoring double was FILTHY.

86:  That was straight horseshit.  Zahid got screwed.

97: Geezus, Trumble. Snyder a whole different beast though.

125: I may have overestimated Kerk.

Edited by VakAttack

Aliaksandr Kikinou is 44 years young. Born April 9, 1980.    And he is in the Greco 77KG finals.  He wrestled in the 2004 Olympics for Belarussia. 

Audrey Jimenez is 18 years old and she is in the Women's 50KG finals.   She just went to her prom in high school and won the Arizona State boy's tournament. 

Old is the new young  . . . and vice versa.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

The big question is if Nolf can get past Dake now.

I did think Dake looked a little sluggish at last years WC’s, yet he still took home silver. I’ll go with Dake 2-0. Same ole story of Nolf not being able to get to his offense. 

PNWfan

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

just got back 

session 2 reactions 

we have three guys that would be world medalists at 86kg I was rooting for Zahid and think the singlet grab was inconsequential on the match and was a crazy call, however I think had their not been two challenges Zahid would not have gotten to that point given his gas tank.

Jess Mendez gets better every time I see him I think had that been a zain off the scale he would have won. I know thats purely speculative and probably a dumb claim but just my thoughts.

Nick Lee does not get enough credit for how he freestyles. What I mean by that is his ability to get out of exchanges that should be 2 for the other guy with 2 and 2 as well as his par tear offense.

Isaac Trumble is a bad man (I would like credit for the thread I made in January)

Ive never been more disappointed with wrestling fans than I was with how they treated Burroughs.

I think Nolf wrestled a brilliant match tactically but I don't know how he was not cautioned and or put on the clock but my god that double was nasty.

the head push was completely out of bounce but the refs needed to step in sooner because MM was being a prick.

Hayden zillmers back makes me insecure.

Gillman and lee both looked outstanding I think Gillman takes it if it goes 3 but I think the scale may do him in.

Despite our "golden era" of guys winding down I feel like we have never had the depth we do currently and we will be just find moving forward and potentially even better,

Also, kudos to Cox on a wonderful career. He certainly didn’t look to be in the best shape for this tournament and gave a pretty candid interview after he left the shoes on the mat. 

• Fire 1

PNWfan

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

You can be talented and an ass, they *are mutually exclusive. As I said earlier, JB would knock your lights out, but to expand at least that was within the competitive bounds. MM does his junk when there is no wrestling and I would have punched him in the practice room but he would have also beaten me like he does most of his lesser opponents. Maybe it works out one day in favor of team USA the same way a stiff JB hook did but he's just an OP ass currently.

Once again, you just call him an ass yet you dint explain what makes him an ass. Seems to me like he's not the ass, someone else is. What is this junk you speak of? His constant movement? How is that different from constant level changes? It's supposed to fluster hus opponents, and it looks like it's working becuase it certainly clusters you. You keep saying hes an ass yet you haven't once supported this statement with anything other than your personal feelings. 

As for Burroughs knocking my lights out, I certainly hope a world class athlete could knock my lights out. I'm much older than him and was never close to being an elite world level athlete. This statement shows some serious lack of maturity.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

He did the same crap at NCAAs. He's DeSanto minus the autism.

What a BS comment. Desanto legitimately has repeated temper tantrums, freak outs and tried to break miccics arm. Messenbrink genuinely is having fun when he wrestles. It's clearly not to your liking, but this comparison and comments from you are making you out to be the ass.