2024 OTT Day 1 Session 2 thread

2 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This ref is a Penn State fan. Wow. That was bull****! 

The ref, HIMSELF, blew the action dead, then Nolf jumps over and out of bounds for two? This is stinky. 

4:52 Nolf was already behind before you hear the whistle.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Dake outclassed him last they wrestled. JB’s success against Dake is largely due to the old tournament design, where Dake had to wrestle multiple matches the same day. It’s not a coincidence that when they’ve been on even footing, Dake has been more successful.

I dunno about entirely.  Dake made some pretty poor tactical decisions against Burroughs.  For many years, Dake would find a way to lose against burroughs the same way that taylor would find a way to lose against Dake. 

That's what makes current Dake so impressive.  He did what it took to find those extra levels when he was already THAT good at the outset of his senior career. 

But if you go back and watch the way he wrestled compared to how he moves now, he's an entirely different dude.  Go back and watch his early 79kg worlds matches (~2018-19 I think), you can watch him finding his way to his current Ali-esque style, which is the only good way I can think of describing it. 

1 minute ago, SocraTease said:

Well, the assumption here of course is that it was a Penn State fan.  They were not the only ones in attendance.   People came from all over.   It wasn't a home dual meet.  Just sayin'

That’s fair, I did make the assumption with the tournament being at Penn State and hearing the crowds reactions being somewhat biased towards NLWC in general which is understandable. Also definitely not saying I have a problem with the fan base in general, just a few loud bad apples.

3 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

image.gif.6720b01594c3b14b06968e1493692685.gif

This worth handing the match to Brooks?

Without that interference earlier, Brooks is already winning.

If he doesn't call that, he screws Brooks over twice.

6 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Well, the assumption here of course is that it was a Penn State fan.  They were not the only ones in attendance.   People came from all over.   It wasn't a home dual meet.  Just sayin'

It was. He had a NLWC shirt on.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It was. He had a NLWC shirt on.

Ok.  I didn't see the shirt.  Every fan base, including Penn State, has it's, um, obnoxious fans.  And it  is often the case that winning teams (clubs) probably have more of them because it breeds a kind of arrogance.   This particular fan was probably trying to get the goat of the GOAT

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Without that interference earlier, Brooks is already winning.

If he doesn't call that, he screws Brooks over twice.

Nah, that was gonna be a pushout. Plus they already gave Brooks points for bs passivities. Plus kept calling them back to center in record time when they let everyone else coast to victory. 

I think we can all agree that Zahid should have repped Mexico. He'd probably already be an Olympian, watching the OTTs from Arizona, sitting by a pool with a bowl of chips and guac. But instead he's in State College, in Appalachia, having all sorts of things happen to him at nearly 11 PM.

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 1
  • Haha 1

just got back 

session 2 reactions 

we have three guys that would be world medalists at 86kg I was rooting for Zahid and think the singlet grab was inconsequential on the match and was a crazy call, however I think had their not been two challenges Zahid would not have gotten to that point given his gas tank.

Jess Mendez gets better every time I see him I think had that been a zain off the scale he would have won. I know thats purely speculative and probably a dumb claim but just my thoughts.

Nick Lee does not get enough credit for how he freestyles. What I mean by that is his ability to get out of exchanges that should be 2 for the other guy with 2 and 2 as well as his par tear offense.

Isaac Trumble is a bad man (I would like credit for the thread I made in January)

Ive never been more disappointed with wrestling fans than I was with how they treated Burroughs.

I think Nolf wrestled a brilliant match tactically but I don't know how he was not cautioned and or put on the clock but my god that double was nasty.

the head push was completely out of bounce but the refs needed to step in sooner because MM was being a prick.

Hayden zillmers back makes me insecure.

Gillman and lee both looked outstanding I think Gillman takes it if it goes 3 but I think the scale may do him in.

Despite our "golden era" of guys winding down I feel like we have never had the depth we do currently and we will be just find moving forward and potentially even better,

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Bob 4

2 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Ok.  I didn't see the shirt.  Every fan base, including Penn State, has it's, um, obnoxious fans.  And it  is often the case that winning teams (clubs) probably have more of them because it breeds a kind of arrogance.   This particular fan was probably trying to get the goat of the GOAT

He first ran over to the rail and was yelling at Burroughs after the Mesenbrink match. He ran it back after the Nolf match, but alao seemed to take it up a notch. As a dyed in the wool PSU fan I was disgusted by his behavior. I couldn't here what he said, but it looked ugly. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Truzzcat said:

session 2 reactions 

we have three guys that would be world medalists at 86kg I was rooting for Zahid and think the singlet grab was inconsequential on the match and was a crazy call, however I think had their not been two challenges Zahid would not have gotten to that point given his gas tank.

Jess Mendez gets better every time I see him I think had that been a zain off the scale he would have won. I know thats purely speculative and probably a dumb claim but just my thoughts.

Nick Lee does not get enough credit for how he freestyles. What I mean by that is his ability to get out of exchanges that should be 2 for the other guy with 2 and 2 as well as his par tear offense.

Isaac Trumble is a bad man (I would like credit for the thread I made in January)

Ive never been more disappointed with wrestling fans than I was with how they treated Burroughs.

I think Nolf wrestled a brilliant match tactically but I don't know how he was not cautioned and or put on the clock but my god that double was nasty.

the head push was completely out of bounce but the refs needed to step in sooner because MM was being a prick.

Hayden zillmers back makes me insecure.

Gillman and lee both looked outstanding I think Gillman takes it if it goes 3 but I think the scale may do him in.

Despite our "golden era" of guys winding down I feel like we have never had the depth we do currently and we will be just find moving forward and potentially even better,

Nice write up.  Just wanted to add something missing

***Wrestling fans come in with their college teams sweatshirts on, hatred and bias against opponents from particular schools, and forget that this is a glorified wrestle off and we are all on the same team.  

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He first ran over to the rail and was yelling at Burroughs after the Mesenbrink match. He ran it back after the Nolf match, but alao seemed to take it up a notch. As a dyed in the wool PSU fan I was disgusted by his behavior. I couldn't here what he said, but it looked ugly. 

he said something along the lines of "its over Jordan its over go home"

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Would you say that any of this kind of behavior might be attributable in part to the MMA-ing of college and freestyle wrestling -- the trash talking, the Twitter (X) exchanges, etc.?

• Fire 1

Watching MM/JB again and I realized why I don't like Mesenbrink: he is Dake with a gas tank and offense but thinks he is Askren with the bravado. Maybe he backs it up on the big kid level, but he is an ass at this point and that's saying something considering his opponent his thrown the best right hook for over a decade.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SocraTease said:

Would you say that any of this kind of behavior might be attributable in part to the MMA-ing of college and freestyle wrestling -- the trash talking, the Twitter (X) exchanges, etc.?

You mix that + alcohol and you get tonight's garbage.

Edited by bnwtwg
Autocorrect

i am an idiot on the internet

Just now, SocraTease said:

The Twitter stuff for sure. I draw a straight line between the two. But that also means a lot of it is disingenuous. This guy was genuinely an ass.

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Nice write up.  Just wanted to add something missing

***Wrestling fans come in with their college teams sweatshirts on, hatred and bias against opponents from particular schools, and forget that this is a glorified wrestle off and we are all on the same team.  

We root for and against laundry

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The Twitter stuff for sure. I draw a straight line between the two. But that also means a lot of it is disingenuous. This guy was genuinely an ass.

Agreed, if you aren’t the guy out there putting everything on the line you are watching as a fan of the sport and should show nothing but respect for the guys that put it all out there. They’re wrestling for team USA at the end of the day.

• Brain 1