When will Spencer Lee wrestle again?

CementMixer

9 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

It's as good a guess as any. 

I wouldn't bet on it, but it would be cool to see him at the soldier salute 

Is it two days? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they wrestle him on day 1 to get him a match or two, then forfeit out.  This was what they did at Midlands a few years back, but his medical forfeit was framed as "ducking Glory."

12 hours ago, CementMixer said:

I'm thinking not until January 27th.

I would bet he will wait and start wrestling the b10 dual schedule on Jan 6th.  Maybe not every double weekend depending on the matchups and conditioning.

Edited by ionel

9 hours ago, ionel said:

I would bet he will wait and start wrestling the b10 dual schedule on Jan 6th.  Maybe not every double weekend depending on the matchups and conditioning.

I think if they coddle him too much he’ll not be in shape and ready for the top 10 3-5 matches in a row 

• Fire 2

44 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I’m referring to the tournament 

Was going to make a joke about defaulting out of B1Gs but if he wrestles enough matches he may not even go and just take a wild card bid. The ultimate duck/load management.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

I’m referring to the tournament 

Yes.  At the tournament, he would only have to wrestle three top ten guys.  Seeds separate them.  Assuming he is #1 seed, he would not meet a top 10 until the quarters.  If seeds hold: In the quarters he would have #8, in the semis #4, in the finals #2.

If he were seed #7-#16, he would have a fourth top ten match in the round of 16.

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes.  At the tournament, he would only have to wrestle three top ten guys.  Seeds separate them.  Assuming he is #1 seed, he would not meet a top 10 until the quarters.  If seeds hold: In the quarters he would have #8, in the semis #4, in the finals #2.

If he were seed #7-#16, he would have a fourth top ten match in the round of 16.

Hence why I said 3-5

4 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Hence why I said 3-5

Three.  There is NO circumstance where anyone would have to wrestle five top ten competitors in the championship rounds of a tournament.  It just doesn't work that way.  Because the maths.

Keep in mind, there are only 10 top 10 competitors.  I would guess Lee would be top 10, so that leaves 9 he could wrestle.  Seeding will hopefully spread those 9 out.

Lee will not be wrestling in the consolation brackets.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Three.  There is NO circumstance where anyone would have to wrestle five top ten competitors in the championship rounds of a tournament.  It just doesn't work that way.  Because the maths.

Keep in mind, there are only 10 top 10 competitors.  I would guess Lee would be top 10, so that leaves 9 he could wrestle.  Seeding will hopefully spread those 9 out.

Lee will not be wrestling in the consolation brackets.

Just for grins, Nick Lee in 2018, as the #8 seed who lost in the first round, proceeded to wrestle and beat (in order) the #9, 10, and 16 seeds, then lost to the #2 seed and finally beat the #5 seed for 5th.  That's a high fiber diet.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Was going to make a joke about defaulting out of B1Gs but if he wrestles enough matches he may not even go and just take a wild card bid.

I thought one has to compete in their conference tournament to receive a wild card bid.  Didn't Suriano step on the mat and injury defaulting with subsequent MFFs for that reason?

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Was going to make a joke about defaulting out of B1Gs but if he wrestles enough matches he may not even go and just take a wild card bid.

Imagine that happening. It'll be, "The coaches/administration should have checked." vs "The wrestler should have known the rules." Just like that other thread...

4 hours ago, CementMixer said:

If I were Iowa, I want him back out on the mat asap....

Right now he has one match, against a backup, and he completely gassed after about 90 seconds.

Not good.

It was indeed a backup, but a very good one.  Beat Teske last year and had another noteworthy win or two.  Prob not too much separation between him and Terukina.

4 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Just for grins, Nick Lee in 2018, as the #8 seed who lost in the first round, proceeded to wrestle and beat (in order) the #9, 10, and 16 seeds, then lost to the #2 seed and finally beat the #5 seed for 5th.  That's a high fiber diet.

That is impressive.! If Spencer loses, I doubt he will wrestle back and see that level of metamucil.

And that is still only 4 top 10 matches.  

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

You don't get in shape wrestling matches. It can certainly help overall condition, but if his knees are not good enough for conditioning work during training, wrestling every match on the Hawkeyes schedule isn't going to make that big of a difference. I would figure they focus on low impact conditioning work to get him in shape and then pick and choose a limited slate of duals and tournaments to get the feel of live matches and get him more comfortable with his knees.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

You don't get in shape wrestling matches. It can certainly help overall condition, but if his knees are not good enough for conditioning work during training, wrestling every match on the Hawkeyes schedule isn't going to make that big of a difference. I would figure they focus on low impact conditioning work to get him in shape and then pick and choose a limited slate of duals and tournaments to get the feel of live matches and get him more comfortable with his knees.

You don't get in shape not wrestling matches either.

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, CementMixer said:

You don't get in shape not wrestling matches either.

I'd say you do 95+% of your conditioning outside of matches. Senior level guys get in shape and only wrestling a single tournament every few months (same goes for combat sports like boxing and MMA). There's benefits to getting a feel for live matches that count ahead of the big dance, but if Lee's knees can't handle that conditioning training, he's not going to benefit from wrestling a lot of scheduled matches.