Was Chamizo screwed?

6 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Screenshot_20240423_143522_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ad37fd9b002656e84b5a23d223400bf0.jpg

I suggest Chamizo not let the match be close, next time.  That will take the refs out of it.

That said, when Chamizo was on the right side of 30, he scraped by him at the 2020(1) Olympics, so I doubt he can't not do that.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I was in Italy last summer with my wife, and we were in Rome walking around.   I swear I saw Frank at a bus stop.   I didn't go up to him, I never do that.   But I swear it was him.    Probably not though.   But it was fun thinking I did.  

mspart

• Fire 1

I saw a view I think Instagram that looked like the AZE got his knee up before ITA got all the way around. But, to the poster above point, it wasn’t beyond shadow of doubt to overrule the call. 

I don’t like the “don’t let it be close”. Easy for us to say watching on our screens. Winning a match to advance to the Olympics is really hard. Hell, in the next thread over we’re wondering if our reigning world champion can qualify…

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I don’t like the “don’t let it be close”. Easy for us to say watching on our screens. Winning a match to advance to the Olympics is really hard. Hell, in the next thread over we’re wondering if our reigning world champion can qualify…

Yeah, no kidding. "Hey Frank, just tech him in 10 seconds next time. Duh, what the hell were you thinking?" 

That no takedown call wasn’t that egregious (I believe even Willie agreed), did they say it was due to that or stuff earlier in the match?  I haven’t watched the rest of the match but if it was primarily due to the no takedown call, this seems like a slippery slope to be suspending refs for judgement calls.  If they found out the refs took money or something shouldn’t they be banned and not suspended?

19 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

official for this bout has suspended I wonder if Chamizo gets given the win.

Chamizo is getting the #1 seed at the Last Chance.  Still not qualified.

Forget the last second takedown what about the bad and no calls earlier in the match.  Watch the entire match. Frank got hosed.  

It sounds like Jason was there doing the PA.  Is that right?  Sorry if I’m wrong.  But if so Jason you have any comment?

I thought we were past these days of outright screwing guys.

2 hours ago, PJ141 said:

Forget the last second takedown what about the bad and no calls earlier in the match.  Watch the entire match. Frank got hosed.  

It sounds like Jason was there doing the PA.  Is that right?  Sorry if I’m wrong.  But if so Jason you have any comment?

Good luck with that one!

5 hours ago, PJ141 said:

unfortunately we probably never will be

United World Wrestling has decided to suspend all six officials involved in the controversial match between Frank Chamizo and Turan Bayramov at the European Olympic Qualifier on April 7th. You can watch the match in its entirety above. 

Despite two independent panels concluding that the bout was refereed incorrectly, Bayramov remains the winner of the bout as according to Article 53 of the International Wrestling Rules and Chamizo remains unqualified for the Paris Olympic Games. The Disciplinary Chamber, however, asked UWW to place Chamizo as a top seed in the brackets of the next qualifying event, the World OG Qualifier from April 9 in Istanbul.

In addition, the independent panels "reported a gross lack of discernment in the assignment of the refereeing body, and in the distribution of the roles during the challenge for this specific match."

You can read the full press release from UWW below.

CORSIER-SUR-VEVEY, Switzerland (April 23) -- The United World Wrestling Disciplinary Chamber has decided to suspend, for different periods, the refereeing body and refereeing delegates for the alleged violations during the semifinal bout between Frank CHAMIZO (ITA) and Turan BAYRAMOV (AZE) at the European OG Qualifier 2024 in Baku.

Despite the sanctions, Bayramov remains the winner of the bout as according to Article 53 of the International Wrestling Rules, under no circumstances may the result of a match be modified after the victory has been declared on the mat.

The Disciplinary Chamber, however, asked UWW to place Chamizo as a top seed in the brackets of the next qualifying event, the World OG Qualifier from April 9 in Istanbul.

During the Chamizo-Bayramov bout, Roman PAVLOV was the referee on the mat, Ali M. SAIWAN was the judge and Aleksei BAZULIN was the mat chairman. The referee delegation comprised Kamel BOUAZIZ, Ibrahim CICIOGLU and Casey GOESSL.

The Disciplinary Chamber has decided to suspend both Pavlov and Cicioglu from all their duties until December 31, 2024. Saiwan is suspended from all his duties until September 30, 2024. Mat chairman for the bout Bazulin is suspended from all his duties until June 30, 2024, and the remaining two members of the referee delegation Bouaziz and Goessl have been handed suspensions from all their duties until June 30, 2024.

Bayramov won the bout 8-8 on criteria and earned a Paris Olympic quota for Azerbaijan. However, the Italian Wrestling Federation complained about several refereeing mistakes during this bout and a controverted challenge decision which are deemed to have caused an incorrect final score and outcome of the match.

UWW formed two different panels to review the complaints and statements from each member of the refereeing body and the refereeing delegates were requested and forwarded to the UWW Administration. The refereeing delegates also submitted their co-signed report on the match.

The UWW panels reviewed the match and all alleged errors surrounding the match, including the refereeing sequences and scoring, the challenge decision by the refereeing delegates, and as well as the appointment and distribution of responsibilities among the defendants.

Both panels agreed that some actions during the bout were not scored correctly, including not spotting the passivity of the wrestler(s). It also agreed that the refereeing consultations were not efficient, a timing error was made and the challenge consultation suffered major shortcomings in its functioning.

In addition, the panels reported a gross lack of discernment in the assignment of the refereeing body, and in the distribution of the roles during the challenge for this specific match.

UWW is committed and makes continuous efforts to uphold the integrity of the sport.