Governor Landry suggests pulling scholarships for athletes who skip National Anthem.

12 hours ago, jross said:

The US military provides Peace through Power.  I don't have to like it to appreciate it.

5 hours ago, jross said:

Actions will always speak louder than words.

Except when being louder isn't the goal...

Let's hope words perform better than actions when it comes to the US Military. Peace is always a better option.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

16 hours ago, jross said:

Distinction.

I do not find 'others' as disgusting, rather I find 'some behaviors' disgusting.

Fair point and one that just about everyone can appreciate. 

In this situation the action is disgusting. Are you attributing something to their character or their morality based upon this action? 

On 4/4/2024 at 5:33 PM, jross said:

We should pay our respect.

The National Anthem is not about the military.  I am very uncomfortable with the idea that the National Anthem is about them.  By the way, I am retired military so maybe I should say us.  The National Anthem is about the United States of America.  Whenever I am announcing at an event and the script says anything like " . . . rise as we play  . . . to honor those who fought and died . . . " I do not like it.  Memorial Day is for that purpose.  The National Anthem is a time for us to rise and to acknowledge and honor what brings us together.  And, maybe to ponder whether the second question in the lyrics is still true.  But it is NOT to honor the military.  The military is here for and about the country.  Not the other way around.  IMHO

• Fire 2

Thank you for sharing. 

I am thinking about a PSU wrestler winning the championship and thanking god or coaches for helping them get there. The coaches supported the wrestler along the way.

Sure, the national anthem represents freedom, bravery, perserverence... While it doesn't directly talk about honoring the military, I am grateful for the military's sacrifices because they enable the values... similar to how coaches help the wrestler succeed.  Note: Francis Scott Key must have been a PSU guy.  His fourth verse talks about justice and trusting in God.  

My deceased father (Air Force) and father-in-law (Army) do not like standing to be honored for their service because they were not deployed.  They support honoring the men that fought.  My first cousin (Marine) is uncomfortable with public recognition period.  He tolerates being recognized because he did fight and lose men.  

Will you expand on the second question pondering?

Please say more about how honoring the military's sacrafice implies the country is for them.  The suggestive law has us face the flag, not the military.  It's just good people that pay respect to how the military did/does protect enable the country's values.

If I'm at a Thanksgiving where everyone is expected to say something they are thankful for... and somebody doesn't... um what entitlement they think they have to the benefits... what ungrateful jerks... 

• Bob 1

53 minutes ago, jross said:

O! say does that star-spangled Banner yet wave,
⁠O'er the Land of the free and the home of the brave?

The question now has changed from the original.  No longer is the fact of the waving in question as it was when Key wrote the lyrics.  Whether we remain in the land of the free and the home of the brave is now the pertinent part of the question.  I, personally, felt distinctly unfree and cowardly wearing that idiotic, inane, and ridiculous mask on flights in 2021 for just one example.

Edited by Lipdrag
  • Bob 1

3 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

O! say does that star-spangled Banner yet wave,
⁠O'er the Land of the free and the home of the brave?

The question now has changed from the original.  No longer is the fact of the waving in question as it was when Key wrote the lyrics.  Whether we remain in the land of the free and the home of the brave is now the pertinent part of the question.  I, personally, felt distinctly unfree and cowardly wearing that idiotic, inane, and ridiculous mask on flights in 2021 for just one example.

Imagine people wearing masks during their everyday work... without anyone hearing any of them complain.

What-Shoes-to-Wear-in-the-Operating-Room

Good people.

Not whiny selfish bastards trying make nothing into something.

It isn't that hard, it hasn't ever been that hard, and you're a dummy for acting like it was hard.

Your comments should make you feel cowardly. It was never hard hard to wear a damn mask. Never.

Toughen up. Life is hard - but wearing a mask isn't.

Edited by RockLobster

7 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Imagine people wearing masks during their everyday work... without anyone hearing any of them complain.

Good people.

It isn't that hard, it hasn't ever been that hard, and you're a dummy for acting like it was hard.

Your comments should make you feel cowardly. It was never hard hard to wear a damn mask. Never.

Okay dum dum...nice try making it about that actual act of wearing a mask.  It is about the MANDATE to do so...all the while knowing IT REALLY DOESN'T DO MUCH.  I'll never understand the need/want/thrill people get forcing something on the vast majority for something that impacted such a meniscal minority.  Not to mention you throw out words "cowardly" when you feel the need to wear a mask 24/7.  Funny part is...I don't have a problem with people wearing masks...have at it!  But don't force your irrational fears on me.

• Bob 2

13 hours ago, jross said:

Thank you for sharing. 

I am thinking about a PSU wrestler winning the championship and thanking god or coaches for helping them get there. The coaches supported the wrestler along the way.

Sure, the national anthem represents freedom, bravery, perserverence... While it doesn't directly talk about honoring the military, I am grateful for the military's sacrifices because they enable the values... similar to how coaches help the wrestler succeed.  Note: Francis Scott Key must have been a PSU guy.  His fourth verse talks about justice and trusting in God.  

My deceased father (Air Force) and father-in-law (Army) do not like standing to be honored for their service because they were not deployed.  They support honoring the men that fought.  My first cousin (Marine) is uncomfortable with public recognition period.  He tolerates being recognized because he did fight and lose men.  

Please say more about how honoring the military's sacrafice implies the country is for them.  The suggestive law has us face the flag, not the military.  It's just good people that pay respect to how the military did/does protect enable the country's values.

If I'm at a Thanksgiving where everyone is expected to say something they are thankful for... and somebody doesn't... um what entitlement they think they have to the benefits... what ungrateful jerks... 

I have been reluctant to respond to some of the comments on here. Many of you have different thoughts on this matter.  My grandfather served in combat World war 1. My father served in combat in World War 2 and passed away at the age 41 . 5 of my Uncles also served in World War 2 .All of them passed away from Huntington's Korea at he age of 40 to 43. My older brother passed away at the age of 18, 3 weeks after he had enlisted in the Navy. I had 7 cousins who served, most of them in combat. One of them after serving in Vietnam was killed 3 weeks after returning home in a car accident. The driver ran a stop sign. My son and 3 son in laws have served in combat. On was injured with an I.E.D but made it home. 2 are still actively serving. My daughter in-law served in the Army. I'm not telling you what you should do as an American that is your decision. But I for one will stand for the National Anthem with a ( sense of pride and sadness) knowing the sacrifices of these men and women and  their families have gone through. Side note. None of these men or women expected recognition or special honors for their service. They are very humble and unassuming. The last 12 words of the National Anthem have a special meaning to me.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 3

16 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I have been reluctant to respond to some of the comments on here. Many of you have different thoughts on this matter.  My grandfather served in combat World war 1. My father served in combat in World War 2 and passed away at the age 41 . 5 of my Uncles also served in World War 2 .All of them passed away from Huntington's Korea at he age of 40 to 43. My older brother passed away at the age of 18, 3 weeks after he had enlisted in the Navy. I had 7 cousins who served, most of them in combat. One of them after serving in Vietnam was killed 3 weeks after returning home in a car accident. The driver ran a stop sign. My son and 3 son in laws have served in combat. On was injured with an I.E.D but made it home. 2 are still actively serving. My daughter in-law served in the Army. I'm not telling you what you should do as an American that is your decision. But I for one will stand for the National Anthem with a ( sense of pride and sadness) knowing the sacrifices of these men and women and  their families have gone through. Side note. None of these men or women expected recognition or special honors for their service. They are very humble and unassuming. The last 12 words of the National Anthem have a special meaning to me.

Thank you to you and your family!!!!  I will continue to stand and honor the people like those in your family.

• Bob 4

15 hours ago, jross said:

Thank you for sharing. 

I think we've hit on the crux of the issue. Is it expected? Should it be? Why is someone a jerk that just doesn't want to participate in a forced exercise? Should they not have the freedom to abstain? Is your judgment/punishment warranted, not knowing why? Or is it enough to assume the worst and just go with it because it makes you feel better? 

This comes back around to the military. What can last if it is gotten by the barrel of a gun? 

• Clown 3

12 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Good people.

Might not have been hard but it was for sure stupid and a waste for 99.5% of the population. 

• Bob 2

16 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Good people.

Here are the masks my colleagues and I wore every day.  The last picture is the helmet my mask attached to and other gear I wore every day.  I no longer have my mask from 35 years ago as I gave it to the aviator in picture 3 who is my son.  Tough enough for you, RL?

Mask 1.jpg

Mask 2.jpg

Mask 3.jpg

Mask 4.jpg

Mask 5.jpg

Gear.jpg

• Bob 1
  • Fire 4

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Why is someone a jerk that just doesn't want to participate in a forced exercise?

For me, Thanksgiving is a time for families and friends to come together, enjoy a meal, and express gratitude for the blessings in their lives. It's expected that everyone attending our Thanksgiving gathering participates in the tradition of giving thanks for at least one thing. Those who choose not to participate, except for say illness, would seem rude.  I wouldn't know because everyone has always participated in the tradition.  Losing my father at a young age put me in severe depression and I always managed to find something, however small, to be thankful for.

Grattitude couples well with Personal Accountability... for emotional resilience, personal growth, and well-being.  In my house we expect both!

• Bob 2

On 4/10/2024 at 1:19 PM, ThreePointTakedown said:

What can last if it is gotten by the barrel of a gun? 

The US of A.  The end of black enslavement in America.  The removal of the wehrmacht from Western and Eastern Europe. 

I know those things are only about 250, 160, and 80 years old so it is kind of early to tell if they will last.  But each was gotten when the good guys wielded not only the barrels of guns but also the high velocity projectiles emanating from the ends of those barrels. 

Asking the British parliament and monarchy, asking the slaveholders, and asking the wehrmacht to see the light was spectacularly unsuccessful.  Maybe no one said the magic word.  Please.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1
  • Jagger 1

On 4/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, Lipdrag said:

Here are the masks my colleagues and I wore every day.  The last picture is the helmet my mask attached to and other gear I wore every day.  I no longer have my mask from 35 years ago as I gave it to the aviator in picture 3 who is my son.  Tough enough for you, RL?

Mask 1.jpg

Mask 2.jpg

Mask 3.jpg

Mask 4.jpg

That's plenty tough enough. And you made my point for me.

Just like the operating room surgeon, you wear a mask to do your job. Not because it is comfortable.

Anyone whining about wearing a thin easy mask to help each other out needs a swift kick in the ass.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Clown 1

14 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

The US of A.  The end of black enslavement in America.  The removal of the wehrmacht from Western and Eastern Europe. 

I know those things are only about 250, 160, and 80 years old so it is kind of early to tell if they will last.  But each was gotten when the good guys wielded not only the barrels of guns but also the high velocity projectiles emanating from the ends of those barrels. 

Asking the British parliament and monarchy, asking the slaveholders, and asking the wehrmacht to see the light was spectacularly unsuccessful.  Maybe no one said the magic word.  Please.

Not yet. Oh, and murdering natives for land and gold is something we should hang our hat on? 

13th amendment, officially. Some would say, 'states' rights' was what one side was fighting for, we still have that to some extent. Ex. Dobbs. That's gonne be an interesting case study in shooting yourself in the foot and seeing how long it takes to notice. 

They're still around today. Likely, many still occupy those spaces. 

True, time will tell. But they weren't accomplished in the first place. So when does the clock start/stop ticking if it never worked happened.

India is free, btw. How'd that come about? 

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Not yet. Oh, and murdering natives for land and gold is something we should hang our hat on? 

13th amendment, officially. Some would say, 'states' rights' was what one side was fighting for, we still have that to some extent. Ex. Dobbs. That's gonne be an interesting case study in shooting yourself in the foot and seeing how long it takes to notice. 

They're still around today. Likely, many still occupy those spaces. 

True, time will tell. But they weren't accomplished in the first place. So when does the clock start/stop ticking if it never worked happened.

India is free, btw. How'd that come about? 

Please do some research and come back to us with a one pager on India.

When did India fall under British control and how did that occur?

When did the USA become independent of British control?

Why did it take two centuries for India to gain its freedom in relation to the USA?

What impact did the American Revolution have on British colonism and how it managed others like India?

What impact did the USA have on India gaining its freedom?

Edited by jross
  • Bob 2
  • Wrestle 1

7 minutes ago, jross said:

Please do some research and come back to us with a one pager on India.

When did India fall under British control and how did that occur?

When did the USA become independent of British control?

Why did it take two centuries for India to gain its freedom in relation to the USA?

What impact did the American Revolution have on British colonism and how it managed others like India?

What impact did the USA have on India gaining its freedom?

No. 

You offer up your opinions then I might feel the need to research to confirm or reject your conclusions. 

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

"See, they aren't even willing to do this homework assignment I've given them. Because I am convinced they are wrong but won't tell them how or why until they've done x,y,z first. Even then, I'm not likely to follow up considering my recent past doint similar things. Aren't I so cool, everyone?! Right! (high5) Right! That'll show them for having an opinion!" 

• Fire 1
  • Clown 2

7 hours ago, RockLobster said:

Anyone whining about wearing a thin easy mask to help each other out needs a swift kick in the ass.

Nope.  Those masks were no more useful than tin foil hats helping out crazy people defend against space rays.  Your point is refuted.

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

"See, they aren't even willing to do this homework assignment I've given them. Because I am convinced they are wrong but won't tell them how or why until they've done x,y,z first. Even then, I'm not likely to follow up considering my recent past doint similar things. Aren't I so cool, everyone?! Right! (high5) Right! That'll show them for having an opinion!" 

TL;DR: the answers to those questions do not support your India comment.

4 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  

Hungry Chef GIF by Munchies

Look bud, all you have to do is show and the food is cooked for you.  Aint that grand?

One question implies its answer.

works rifle GIF

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1