Kasak versus SVN next year

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Does Nagao want to bump up to 141 next year? I thought making 133 wasn't so easy for him.

in his first season at Minnesota (2021) that he did not wrestle, wrestle stat had him listed as a 141 and then he started the year at 141 during his red shirt season before going down. Being a few years removed from that I would assume the cut is rather difficult which could be a reason for his lackluster year. I'm not sure he has another option to make the lineup besides going 133 though unless they opt to red shirt kasak which could be possible seems like a similar situation to zain after his true freshman year. even at 133 though I don't know that his position is safe if Lilledahl wants to go right away that could bump Davis up to 133 or vice versa.

• Bob 1

16 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Bubba Jenkins

Nick Suriano

Michael Beard

Tony Negron

Jarrod Verkleeren

Seth Nevills

16 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Teske! I knew I missed one 

Only three of these guys were AA's...and only two of them finished higher than the Penn State athlete at their weight.

16 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Only three of these guys were AA's...and only two of them finished higher than the Penn State athlete at their weight.

You are being a tad selective with your list of achievements. 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

49 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

30 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are being a tad selective with your list of achievements. 

Sorry, actually only two outplaced their PSU counterpart. Bubba & Suriano. I thought Beard had outplaced Dean in 2023, but he did not. 

Edited by Winners Circle

4 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Sorry, actually only two outplaced their PSU counterpart. Bubba & Suriano. I thought Beard had outplaced Dean in 2023, but he did not. 

Are you sure that is all Jenkins and Suriano did? Just outplaced?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Is it safe to say they aren't doing a great job managing their athletes' health? SVN, Howard, etc.?

Heck, Starocci may have won it, but seems to be headed to maybe his third surgery in a year.

Just joking about the blue colored glasses people on this board that don’t see anything other than their Iowa hatred.  

I’m shocked 0 discussion occurred about Cstar’s wrestling IQ in injuring himself.   Secured the tech fall…. Against a team they beat what like 43-0 (I didn’t look it up).  Putting your knee in that position is pretty silly if you think about it.  Take the tech and move on.   

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Just joking about the blue colored glasses people on this board that don’t see anything other than their Iowa hatred.  

I’m shocked 0 discussion occurred about Cstar’s wrestling IQ in injuring himself.   Secured the tech fall…. Against a team they beat what like 43-0 (I didn’t look it up).  Putting your knee in that position is pretty silly if you think about it.  Take the tech and move on.   

I have read many people say Starocci put his knee in that position, but when I watched the match it looked like Arnold took Starocci's foot across his body with his hand before rolling into the knee. I am not saying it was intentional, just that it did not look like Starocci put himself in that position. However, I cannot any video, so there is that.

16 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

in his first season at Minnesota (2021) that he did not wrestle, wrestle stat had him listed as a 141 and then he started the year at 141 during his red shirt season before going down. Being a few years removed from that I would assume the cut is rather difficult which could be a reason for his lackluster year. I'm not sure he has another option to make the lineup besides going 133 though unless they opt to red shirt kasak which could be possible seems like a similar situation to zain after his true freshman year. even at 133 though I don't know that his position is safe if Lilledahl wants to go right away that could bump Davis up to 133 or vice versa.

Yeah, I think Davis was originally projected as a 133 when he committed. Nagao could get squeezed out of the lineup if LL or Kasak don't want to RS. 

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Poor Nagao...

He will get paid his NIL and have a great practice room.  If he wanted to be a starter above all else, going to Penn State might not have been a wise choice.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

He will get paid his NIL and have a great practice room.  If he wanted to be a starter above all else, going to Penn State might not have been a wise choice.

Backups get NIL?  If so, PSU has wayyyy more money than even the haters have speculated.  Thought they were supposed to be short term deals?

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Backups get NIL?  If so, PSU has wayyyy more money than even the haters have speculated.  Thought they were supposed to be short term deals?

it all depends on the terms of his NIL I suppose.  Penn State and Minnesota are both good school so he gets a quality education either way.  I haven't been able to identify the exact terms of NIL deals though so not sure how they are working typically

Edited by flyingcement

Forget NIL and everything about money. This tread is about wrestling skill, not money. I am trying to compare the skills of both and what might happen in the room. To expand, in my mind SVN is a brawler who has good enough skills to wear an opponent down then finish him off. I believe Kasak is a more skilled young wrestler who does not rely on brute force.

47 minutes ago, KennyEBHS said:

Forget NIL and everything about money. This tread is about wrestling skill, not money. I am trying to compare the skills of both and what might happen in the room. To expand, in my mind SVN is a brawler who has good enough skills to wear an opponent down then finish him off. I believe Kasak is a more skilled young wrestler who does not rely on brute force.

They are probably interchangeable at thia point.  Both are multidimensional wrestlers. I don't know that either is more skilled or more of a brawler than the other.  Both are very physical.  Kasak horsed his way through the backside and is highly skilled being one of DT's star pupils like Haines.   SVN is as slick as they come.  Either one will be ranked #2 to start next year, and Henson won't be a big favorite over either one.  

• Brain 1

On 3/31/2024 at 6:47 PM, 1032004 said:

Done wrestling.  Basch seemed to imply it on one of his pods, and you know Bartlett is one of “his guys.”  It seemed highly likely if he won, but still a decent possibility even if he didn’t.

Good, nobody wants to see those boring stall tactics anymore. 

On 4/1/2024 at 2:45 PM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My kid is a backup Field hockey player and gets a little NIL $. 

• Bob 2
  • Pirate 1

2 hours ago, hlstone said:

My kid is a backup Field hockey player and gets a little NIL $. 

My kid won co-ed intramural rec soccer tourney (3 v 3) and so far nothing on NIL - but the team did get a sweet champions t-shirt!  Would like to see NIL spread downstream!

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1