Poaching or Portal?

It sounds like Michigan is going after a VT wrestler or two according to the hokie forum.

I guess if true, this is the new model of team building going forward. 

It is a shame Michigan and others, focus more on spending $ recruiting proven wrestlers vs developing their own recruits. 

• Bob 4

1 hour ago, Show_Me said:

If Virginia Tech (a real sold Program) isn’t safe then who is ?

The Portal / NIL will accelerate the cutting of small/medium Programs.

I am no college sports expert so Help me understand your point.  I hate nil and how stars from small and medium will get poached.  I hope Michigan’s model crashes and burns somehow.  But if I am the AD at Little Rock and Nasir Bailey leaves—why will I cut the program?  I may not like it…but the program costs the same as it did before Bailey came there.  Most of these programs have no expectation of beating the power schools—same as all sports.  In fact, wrestling offers them a better chance to get an AA than say basketball does.  Don’t laugh at me if I am missing the obvious—just sincerely asking why nil will cause programs to be cut?  
I ask because we the wrestling community are rightfully angered by what Title ix did to wrestling.  But when we scream about how we expect wrestling programs getting cut all the time, I think it almost gives AD’s the go ahead and do it.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  So I am not apt to scream about the sky falling for reasons that maybe isn’t the cause unless I can understand why.  And again, we agree—nil does suck.

• Bob 3

1 hour ago, creek chub said:

It sounds like Michigan is going after a VT wrestler or two according to the hokie forum.

It is a shame Michigan and others, focus more on spending $ recruiting proven wrestlers vs developing their own recruits. 

Screw Bormet and Michigan.  I will openly root against them at any event.  

• Bob 3
  • Fire 2

dude are you talking about this board:

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtwrestling/66034ef8a595e40014b7a3b4

I can't find which guys are being mentioned.  Any idea who?

20 minutes ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

Screw Bormet and Michigan.  I will openly root against them at any event.  

At a glance, about 75% of their team points were from transfers. If you got money, I guess you don’t have to develop talent

• Bob 1

The NCAA only cares about football and basketball....and they have had one token investigation into using NIL as a recruiting tool to show. They don't care about tampering. 

You are supposed to be in the portal before a team can even talk to you. Hamiti was in the portal with a Do Not Contact...hmmmm...wonder how that happened? 

Two years ago Iowa was using 3rd parties to contact - nothing you can do about it. I am sure that guys were being talked to during the season and at the NCAA. 

Guys are getting poached left and right...nobody will be saving the day - The teams with the big money like Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, etc. will continue to do it. Penn State could win without it....but the others need to do it to stay in the trophy hunt.   

Guys like Bailey and Little from LR are going to be offered some good $$ to leave because they have 3 years of eligibility left. It will be hard for them to turn down. 

This has been and will be the discussion every year. Who is getting poached. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

The NCAA only cares about football and basketball....and they have had one token investigation into using NIL as a recruiting tool to show. They don't care about tampering. 

You are supposed to be in the portal before a team can even talk to you. Hamiti was in the portal with a Do Not Contact...hmmmm...wonder how that happened? 

Two years ago Iowa was using 3rd parties to contact - nothing you can do about it. I am sure that guys were being talked to during the season and at the NCAA. 

Guys are getting poached left and right...nobody will be saving the day - The teams with the big money like Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, etc. will continue to do it. Penn State could win without it....but the others need to do it to stay in the trophy hunt.   

Guys like Bailey and Little from LR are going to be offered some good $$ to leave because they have 3 years of eligibility left. It will be hard for them to turn down. 

This has been and will be the discussion every year. Who is getting poached. 

As much as I would like to blame the NCAA - at some point its up to the different sports to think of a way to be financially independent or else die on the vine

There is no way this is true. It all stems from some anonymous fan account on Twitter. Michigan literally can't get undergrad transfers through admissions (they lose too many credits); that's why they only get grad transfers and the rare first-year freshman (ie Micic). So if someone claims they're trying to talk some sophomore or junior to get into the portal, it a lie.

Edited to add: That's also why the Buchanan/Wyoming stuff two years ago wasn't true (and he transferred to Oklahoma as an undergrad), which is where this Bormet characterization started. Built on lies that get repeated enough that people believe it to be true.

Edited by BlueWolverine
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

As much as I would like to blame the NCAA - at some point its up to the different sports to think of a way to be financially independent or else die on the vine

If we are talking about the whole sport of NCAA wrestling being financially independent that would require revenue sharing and that's not happening. No way is PSU , MIchigan and Iowa going to share with Cal Bakersfield to keep the sport as whole financially independent.  It comes down to teams being financially independent or dying on the vine...and that's what has and will happen. Back to square one. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

13 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Hamiti was in the portal with a Do Not Contact...hmmmm...wonder how that happened? 

Is it true Hamiti was seen leaving KC driving a Brinks truck?

Screenshot_20240326-191332_Chrome.jpg.8d979f09343e61d8f92bb81459df1473.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Show_Me said:

If Virginia Tech (a real sold Program) isn’t safe then who is ?

The Portal / NIL will accelerate the cutting of small/medium Programs.

What can you do about it though? If a wrestler doesn't want to wrestle for his old school anymore should he be forced to stay against his wishes? 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

What can you do about it though? If a wrestler doesn't want to wrestle for his old school anymore should he be forced to stay against his wishes? 

I think most would prefer to stay if they were offered an equal amount of money that is being offered from the school that is poaching them.

14 minutes ago, BlueWolverine said:

There is no way this is true. It all stems from some anonymous fan account on Twitter. Michigan literally can't get undergrad transfers through admissions (they lose too many credits); that's why they only get grad transfers and the rare first-year freshman (ie Micic). So if someone claims they're trying to talk some sophomore or junior to get into the portal, it a lie.

Edited to add: That's also why the Buchanan/Wyoming stuff two years ago wasn't true (and he transferred to Oklahoma as an undergrad), which is where this Bormet characterization started. Built on lies that get repeated enough that people believe it to be true.

Looks like Michigan might be the next “Cornell Ag school.”    Between their 5 transfers (the 4 starters + Cannon), it looks like 3 are in Social Work and 2 were doing a “Real Estate Development Cert,” which I believe is what Suriano did as well.

• Bob 1

52 minutes ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

I am no college sports expert so Help me understand your point.  I hate nil and how stars from small and medium will get poached.  I hope Michigan’s model crashes and burns somehow.  But if I am the AD at Little Rock and Nasir Bailey leaves—why will I cut the program?  I may not like it…but the program costs the same as it did before Bailey came there.  Most of these programs have no expectation of beating the power schools—same as all sports.  In fact, wrestling offers them a better chance to get an AA than say basketball does.  Don’t laugh at me if I am missing the obvious—just sincerely asking why nil will cause programs to be cut?  
I ask because we the wrestling community are rightfully angered by what Title ix did to wrestling.  But when we scream about how we expect wrestling programs getting cut all the time, I think it almost gives AD’s the go ahead and do it.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  So I am not apt to scream about the sky falling for reasons that maybe isn’t the cause unless I can understand why.  And again, we agree—nil does suck.

I assume the thinking is:

College wrestling runs on donations

Getting AA’s helps with getting donations

So in theory, less AA’s = less donations = potential to get cut

• Bob 2

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

If we are talking about the whole sport of NCAA wrestling being financially independent that would require revenue sharing and that's not happening. No way is PSU , MIchigan and Iowa going to share with Cal Bakersfield to keep the sport as whole financially independent.  It comes down to teams being financially independent or dying on the vine...and that's what has and will happen. Back to square one. 

Yeah I was talking about the whole sport.  If Penn State and a few others figure out a way, that won't be enough.  The others will die and Penn State will have no one else to compete against.  I'm talking long term, but it feels inevitable without a change in strategy

• Potato 1

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like Michigan might be the next “Cornell Ag school.”    Between their 5 transfers (the 4 starters + Cannon), it looks like 3 are in Social Work and 2 were doing a “Real Estate Development Cert,” which I believe is what Suriano did as well.

It's because those are the only programs with rolling grad school admissions. Most offseason transfers have already missed other grad program deadlines. A lot of student-athlete grad transfers into Michigan are in those programs.

2 hours ago, creek chub said:

Why? It’s not anything anyone else can’t do?

2 minutes ago, Southend said:

Why? It’s not anything anyone else can’t do?

I didn’t say that others couldn’t poach. The rub is, it looks like it’s mainly 3 schools, so most aren’t using this approach and instead are developing their room. That’s what coaches are supposed to do, not rely on 3rd parties to overinflate their programs output 

6 minutes ago, creek chub said:

I didn’t say that others couldn’t poach. The rub is, it looks like it’s mainly 3 schools, so most aren’t using this approach and instead are developing their room. That’s what coaches are supposed to do, not rely on 3rd parties to overinflate their programs output 

Who are you to say that’s what coaches are to do? lol .coaches take advantage of what is available for them to improve their teams. Not what some lame fan thinks is appropriate for them to do. Lol

• Poopy 1

2 minutes ago, Southend said:

Who are you to say that’s what coaches are to do? lol .coaches take advantage of what is available for them to improve their teams. Not what some lame fan thinks is appropriate for them to do. Lol

You are drawing conclusions from things I didn’t type. And you are laughing at your own comments, that’s weird.