Casey Cunningham is the keystone of Penn State's success

It's shocking to me that he hasn't been poached to be a head coach.  Listen to any interview with former Penn State wrestlers, or watch who a Penn State wrestler hugs first after winning a NCAA title.  There's a reason Penn State's most successful weights have been middleweights 157-184 over the last decade.  If Iowa wants to retake the mountain making Cunningham their new HC would be the biggest, fastest and most effective move to make.

Casey might be an under appreciated key to PSU’s success, but that might be because he is in the perfect role at PSU, which is more hands on in terms of developing talent.

If he becomes a head coach, he is going to be doing more leadership type work and less actual wrestling work. It’s just the nature of being the leader of a program.

I’m not saying he won’t be a great head coach and make a program very competitive, but I also don’t buy into the idea that his success at PSU is a 1 for 1 carryover to somewhere else. So many factors go into that, level of financial support, admin support etc.

Edited by BuckyBadger
  • Bob 2
  • Brain 1

1 minute ago, BuckyBadger said:

Casey might be an under appreciated key to PSU’s success, but that might be because he is in the perfect role at PSU, which is more hands on in terms of developing talent.

If he becomes a head coach, he is going to be doing more leadership type work and less actual wrestling work. It’s just the nature of being the leader of a program.

I’m not saying he won’t be a great head coach and make a program very competitive, but I also don’t buy into the idea that his success at PSU is a 1 for 1 carryover to somewhere else. So many factors go into that, level of financial support, admin support etc.

Would you take him as the HC of your Wisconsin Badgers?

I think almost everyone knows Casey is a key part of PSU's dynasty.  It's my understanding he has been approached about HC jobs before but he is happy in his current role and doesn't want to leave.  

• Bob 1

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

There's a rumor he'll be offered the HC job at his alma mater.

i'm sure he will but as you implied he should be gunning for a top 10 team with existing everything already in place. The only reason he shouldn't get the Iowa job is that for a casual fan/donor/recruit it seems like a lateral move.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

i'm sure he will but as you implied he should be gunning for a top 10 team with existing everything already in place. The only reason he shouldn't get the Iowa job is that for a casual fan/donor/recruit it seems like a lateral move.

It would boost Iowa immediately while hurting Penn State a proportionate amount.  But I'm sure they'd have to back up the Brinks truck to sway Casey.

It’s rumored that Casey makes more than most HCs, right now.

Casey would likely have to take a pay cut at everywhere other than a few other schools. And pack up his life to move to some other place he either hasn’t lived before or hasn’t lived in for almost 20 years.

I just don’t think it’s happening short of Michigan, Iowa, or other top program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Le duke said:

It’s rumored that Casey makes more than most HCs, right now.

Casey would likely have to take a pay cut at everywhere other than a few other schools. And pack up his life to move to some other place he either hasn’t lived before or hasn’t lived in for almost 20 years.

I just don’t think it’s happening short of Michigan, Iowa, or other top program.

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm really sick of this refrain about how everyone will stay put because they need money and moving is annoying....

There's also the reality that Casey has been working with and coaching the best wrestlers the US has to offer for well over a decade now.  He gets to be a huge part of NCAA wrestling AND USA wrestling in his current gig, it's basically a dream position, he's on the cutting edge of the sport in the US.  Moving anywhere else will significantly decrease the quality of experience for him on just about every single front of life.  If he wanted a HC position, I'm pretty sure he would have taken it already.  

As excellent as he is, I'm willing to bet he also knows what he isn't excellent at and what he doesn't want to do or deal with, which is why he gravitated to the mat and working in the room so much.  

36 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

At the risk of opening myself up to huge amounts of ridicule, I will proudly proclaim that Keystone Light is my favorite beer, and this thread made me want one.

Wow!!  I’m sorry that threw me off and made me laugh out loud to the point my dog tilted his head. Thanks!

• Fire 1