141 - Mendez
149 - D'Emilio
157 -Gallagher/Wilcox
165 - Hepner
174 - Welsh/Kharchla
184 - Rogotzke/Shumate
197 - Geog
285 - Feldman

I hope that Sasso can get back on the mat and finish up at 149 or 157 - if he can recover enough he could get that NC - that would be an amazing story

6 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I hope that Sasso can get back on the mat and finish up at 149 or 157 - if he can recover enough he could get that NC - that would be an amazing story

The good news is that he lost a bunch of weight (mass, 149?).  The bad news is that one of his legs is basically useless still.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

The good news is that he lost a bunch of weight (mass, 149?).  The bad news is that one of his legs is basically useless still.

I know it's a long road but I'm still hoping he can get back to competing as he loves to do.

• Bob 1

RUTGERS

Just a guess..I think we'll see a Transfer or 2 soon

125- Peterson/ NQ

133- Shawver/ AA

141- Olivieri/ NQ

149- Cetta...2 wins @ NCAA

157- Harer (True frosh)  or Desantis/transfer

165- White/ NQ or transfer

174- Turley/ AA

184- Soldano/ NQ

197- Poznaski/  AA

285- Slavikowski./ AA

Edited by feet2back

48 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Hear me out:

125 - Kilkeary
133 - Bouzakis
141 - Davino
149 - Mendez
157 - D'Emilio/Wilcox
165 - Gallagher/Hepner
174 - Welsh/Kharchla
184 - Welsh/Kharchla
197 - Geog/Shumate
285 - Feldman
Rogotzke to RS unless someone gets hurt.

I thought about Jesse at 149 too. I thought about how small he seemed at u20's but he must've found his groove in the weight room or his diet because he looked all of 141. 149 would probably be a better spot for him too with his freestyle aspirations and is a better fit for their lineup overall. Im not sure if ben is big enough for 141 next year and I dont think nic will ever be a 141 his frames just too small but ben also has a baby face so he may hit a growth phase. Brandon cannon I think could make some noise at 141 next year as well he beat bailey at ironman and his only loss this year, I believe was to tom crook 6-4 beat a couple NQ's

Possible Illini lineup:

25 - Caelan Riley

33 - Byrd

41 - Pucino

49 - Webster (will he be too big for 149?) or Harrier

57 - Roberts or Scoles (or Webster?)

65 - D. Braunagel or Moore (RS?)

74 - Ruth!

84 - Connell

97 - Z. Braunagel

Hwt - Luffman

I'm not as close watching a fan as most here, so i don't know if any incoming freshman might challenge for starting sports though. 

I'm seeing 5 likely AAs including at 33, 49 (or 57), 74, 97, and Hwt

• Fire 1

Northern Iowa

125: Trevor Andersen; was probably close to an at-large this year. If he improves in the offseason, he could be an NCAA qualifier. Had a win over then #1 Kamacho this year, but that doesn't really mean much with how 125 was
133: Julian Farber; probably capable of winning a few matches in the NCAA tournament if he doesn't get hurt again
141: Cael Happel; can't ever put a great NCAA tournament together but good wrestler nonetheless who should get close to the podium
149: Colin Realbuto; assuming he returns from Team Italy, he should be another guy capable of making the bloodround. I think he did in 2023?
157: Ryder Downey; returning 5 seed at the NCAA tournament. hopefully with an offseason of improvement, he can be on the podium. Was definitely overseeded this year but he's certainly capable
165: Jack Thomsen; returning NCAA qualifier. People from his hometown think he has the highest ceiling of the Thomsen brothers, but he's running out of time to pull that off
174: Jared Simma; showed what he's capable of at the NCAA tournament this year. Assuming he can get a little better, he could another guy who gets close to the bloodround. Gave Griffith all he could handle, which was probably his best showing even though he beat the 5 seed first round
184: Keck
197: Wyatt Voelker; wasn't sure what we'd get from him this year. Apparently an exceptional Greco guy who did very well in the U20 Greco Worlds, but didn't turn it into a big first year as the starter. Big frame, so hopefully he can get stronger, improve, and win another match or two at the NCAA tournament
285: Jose Valdez; assuming no one transfers in, he's the only heavyweight on the roster this past year besides Gordon. No idea what can be expected of him, but shouldn't be too big a dropoff from Gordon, who didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament this year anyway

Some real potential here if all goes well. Knowing the UNI athletics department though, not all will go well.

2 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

Possible Illini lineup:

25 - Caelan Riley

33 - Byrd

41 - Pucino

74 - Ruth!

84 - Connell

97 - Z. Braunagel

Hwt - Luffman

I'm not as close watching a fan as most here, so i don't know if any incoming freshman might challenge for starting sports though. 

Do you know if Byrd is planning on returning at 133?  I thought part of the reason for the RS year might be to bulk up for 141.

• Fire 1

Just now, PencilNeck said:

Possible Illini lineup:

25 - Caelan Riley

33 - Byrd

41 - Pucino

74 - Ruth!

84 - Connell

97 - Z. Braunagel

Hwt - Luffman

Do you envision Will Baysingar ever hitting the starting lineup?

Also I thought Ruzic at 125 is a high enough caliber guy that there was an expectation he may start as a true freshman

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Do you know if Byrd is planning on returning at 133?  I thought part of the reason for the RS year might be to bulk up for 141.

I actually thought I heard Byrd was going up, too.  It was rather surprising because, like Cannon, I never considered him big.  I even thought 125lbs might be a better move.

• Bob 1

14 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I thought about Jesse at 149 too. I thought about how small he seemed at u20's but he must've found his groove in the weight room or his diet because he looked all of 141. 149 would probably be a better spot for him too with his freestyle aspirations and is a better fit for their lineup overall. Im not sure if ben is big enough for 141 next year and I dont think nic will ever be a 141 his frames just too small but ben also has a baby face so he may hit a growth phase. Brandon cannon I think could make some noise at 141 next year as well he beat bailey at ironman and his only loss this year, I believe was to tom crook 6-4 beat a couple NQ's

My wish for Mendez at 149 is based purely on me wanting him to be a full-sized 65 KG.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Do you envision Will Baysingar ever hitting the starting lineup?

Also I thought Ruzic at 125 is a high enough caliber guy that there was an expectation he may start as a true freshman

good call! maybe Baysingar could slot in at 149 at some point down the line.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, lu1979 said:

I thought I heard that somewhere too, but it doesn't make much sense to me for various reasons.  

1) He doesn't have a lot of length to support that sort of bulk up

2) They don't have a 133 lber otherwise and they do have several 141s

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

NC state

125- Jakob Camacho

133- Kai Orine

141- Ryan Jack

149- Jackson Arrington

157- Ed scott

165- in my pipe dream Dean Hamiti 

174- Matty singleton 

184- Dylan Fishback/Brock delsignore (he majored Bennet berge really really good red shirt season

197- Brock Delsignore/Trumble

285- Trephen

Has Trumble outgrown 197? He looked really jacked the last time I seen him

2 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Arizona State (My ideal world)

125: Figueroa

133: Chlebove

141: Parco

149: Kaleb Larkin

157: Teemer

165: Ruiz

174: McLane

184: Valencia 

197: Cardenas (Highly speculated)

285: Schultz

Pretty sure McLane's done. They introduced him at senior night. Do you think Vasquez is going somewhere? He'll be back at 141. No way Parco is gonna drop a weight after being an AA 4 years at 149. Not so sure Larkin can beat anyone out in the 149 class. Freestyle success doesn't always mean folkstyle success. In addition to Parco, rumor has it he's  had trouble beating Ramos, you also have Ysaquirre. Valencia didn't fare to well this year when he tried to jump to 184. Lost the wrestle off to Negron who jumped over him from 165 to 184 and had a solid year. I think he stays right where he's at, 174.  

1 hour ago, Tripnsweep said:

I don't see how Parco can go 141. Also I thought McClane was a one and done. 

Parco is not going 141....McClane has one more left.... ASU might have the most 6th-7th year wrestlers in their lineup next year

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

If he can just get back on the mat and compete at all it'll be an amazing story. 

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie said:

If he can just get back on the mat and compete at all it'll be an amazing story. 

If he does, he'll be closer to 141 than 157.  The amount of muscle loss when you go through that sort of lack of mobility is extreme.  In high school, I came back from a life threatening car crash and being in a wheel chair - mid season and qualified the weight.  by the end of the season as I put muscle back on - it was extremely difficult.  the weight class was 112 and by conferences they gave us two lbs so it was 114.  The night I won conferences and went back home hydrated, and ate a simple meal - I was 130.  I nearly killed myself getting back down to 114 for states

2 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Arizona State (My ideal world)

125: Figueroa

133: Chlebove

141: Parco

149: Kaleb Larkin

157: Teemer

165: Ruiz

174: McLane

184: Valencia 

197: Cardenas (Highly speculated)

285: Schultz

do you think ysaguirre hits the portal? too bad they can't find a place for him. Vasquez too. Also, Parco 141? 

8 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

do you think ysaguirre hits the portal? too bad they can't find a place for him. Vasquez too. Also, Parco 141? 

I think they’ll be able to keep Ysa around for at least another year. Parco at 141 is a total reach, I was just trying to find a way to stick Larkin in there haha. My guess is Ysa and Vasquez battle it out for the 141 job. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Parco is not going 141....McClane has one more left.... ASU might have the most 6th-7th year wrestlers in their lineup next year

A man can dream haha. I assume McLane goes the weight Ruiz doesn’t. McLane was solid this year, if things worked out a little differently he was definitely worthy of an at large bid.

53 minutes ago, wjd said:

Pretty sure McLane's done. They introduced him at senior night. Do you think Vasquez is going somewhere? He'll be back at 141. No way Parco is gonna drop a weight after being an AA 4 years at 149. Not so sure Larkin can beat anyone out in the 149 class. Freestyle success doesn't always mean folkstyle success. In addition to Parco, rumor has it he's  had trouble beating Ramos, you also have Ysaquirre. Valencia didn't fare to well this year when he tried to jump to 184. Lost the wrestle off to Negron who jumped over him from 165 to 184 and had a solid year. I think he stays right where he's at, 174.  

Hopefully ASU can pick up Cardenas and then maybe add another heavy hitter at any weight above 157. If they landed somebody like Hamiti that would be a big pickup. They might have enough to challenge for the top next year if they can do that. Lower weights are going to be a mess. Several guys who could be starting might be on the bench.