Bo has issues with Burroughs’ commentary

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes, JB is there for color commentary.  Color commentators are the experts and provide inside info.

What a pointless answer.  The idea that color commentators are infallible because they are there to provide inside info.  

I rooted for Daton Fix all weekend.  He was there to score takedowns and win matches.  But amazingly that didn't matter to Vito.  He still lost when he did a bad job of scoring takedowns and winning matches.  JB being hired to provide commentary doesn't make everything he says correct.  When he provided inside info during the match about attacking the leg as a strategy, that was him doing his job.  When he immediately made things about him after the match, that wasn't him doing his job.  

When you make things about yourself when they aren't about yourself, some people won't like it.  That's fine.  He's a big boy and he doesn't appear to be bothered by people being upset.  I'm not sure why you need to play white knight for him and explain that he didn't do anything wrong.

5 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

I don't think basketball players are known for their toughness so now I get why people are upset if that is their standard.

In football, every time a corner goes down the announcers/former QBs say they would go after the backup.  If a Dlineman doesn't seem 100% they say they would attack that side of the field.  I guess every commenter/QBs who does football games makes it about themselves too according to basketball announcers.

MMA Color guys are consonantly talking about how they would attack a guy.  It is there job, same for JB and DC.

I agree that when a CB goes down in a football game they say they would go after the replacement. 

You're nuts if you think after the winning play of the super bowl, Tony Romo immediately says 'I could have thrown a TD against that injured CB or his replacement'.  This isn't about contact sports or toughness or whether basketball is soft or wrestling is tough.  This is about how you obviously don't make it about you when someone else wins a title that had nothing to do with you.

Edited by boconnell

3 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I agree that when a CB goes down in a football game they say they would go after the replacement. 

You're nuts if you think after the winning play of the super bowl, Tony Romo immediately says 'I could have thrown a TD against that injured CB or his replacement'.  This isn't about contact sports or toughness or whether basketball is soft or wrestling is tough.  This is about how you obviously don't make it about you when someone else wins a title that had nothing to do with you.

No Tony Romo would of done it before the ball was snapped 😀

Every single color guy is asked questions like "what would you do here?"    DC did that and JB answered.  Fairly common, and not every color guy is making it about themselves.  Some people don't like JB, which is fine, but him doing his job is not making it about himself. 

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, boconnell said:

When he provided inside info during the match about attacking the leg as a strategy, that was him doing his job.  When he immediately made things about him after the match, that wasn't him doing his job.  

When you make things about yourself when they aren't about yourself, some people won't like it.  That's fine.  He's a big boy and he doesn't appear to be bothered by people being upset.  I'm not sure why you need to play white knight for him and explain that he didn't do anything wrong.

I'd argue that he's there partially because he is Jordan Burroughs and therefore people are looking for a personal twist to his insight. If he was a professional announcer and not competing, and insisted on putting in personal asides, that would be bad, but he wasn't chosen because he could provide the best and most professional commentary of anyone.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 minute ago, Dogbone said:

Some people don't like JB, which is fine, but him doing his job is not making it about himself. 

To this point, the headline here should be "What's Nickal's actual problem with Burroughs?"

Imagine if Burroughs had said "If I had to wrestle starocci I wouldn't care if he was hurt or not because I'm just that much better than him."

• Brain 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'd argue that he's there partially because he is Jordan Burroughs and therefore people are looking for a personal twist to his insight. If he was a professional announcer and not competing, and insisted on putting in personal asides, that would be bad, but he wasn't chosen because he could provide the best and most professional commentary of anyone.

I have no problem with him putting his personal twist.  If he said the exact same thing during the match I don't care at all.  If he said 'Welsh should be attacking that leg, I know I would'  Who cares.  That's what he's there for.

But you seriously think a minute after the final while a guy is celebrating his 4th title is the moment for that?  That he should be making it about himself in that moment?  It's just an ego run amok moment.  That moment wasn't about Jordan Burroughs in any way.

I forgot what a good sport Nickal is, like spanking an opponent during a match.

And who can forget all those definitely not condescending helping hands after a match. Nickal is an all time champ and he's also an ass. They tend to go hand in hand as a requirement of the job.

• Bob 4
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

8 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I have no problem with him putting his personal twist.  If he said the exact same thing during the match I don't care at all.  If he said 'Welsh should be attacking that leg, I know I would'  Who cares.  That's what he's there for.

But you seriously think a minute after the final while a guy is celebrating his 4th title is the moment for that?  That he should be making it about himself in that moment?  It's just an ego run amok moment.  That moment wasn't about Jordan Burroughs in any way.

Ego run amok!?! DC asked him the question. JB didn't select the timing. 

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, boconnell said:

i went back and listened again and agree that it was a little weird (obviously I think the reaction to it is weirder), but there are a lot of things that mitigate the weirdness. 

1) Starocci made a very public display of taking off his brace, so the injury was obviously on forefront of the discussion 2) The comment was prompted by the other announcer asking JB for a comment, which was obviously because starocci had just referenced the OTTs, so he said the first thing that came to mind as a competitor, maybe not smart, but not malicious 3) Burroughs wasn't bragging by implying he might have to play dirty to beat starocci, if anything it was self deprecating 4) Burroughs transitioned to talking about what an amazing career starocci had immediately after the supposedly inflammatory comment, he was trying to get off the subject...

• Brain 1

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

I forgot what a good sport Nickal is, like spanking an opponent during a match.

And who can forget all those definitely not condescending helping hands after a match. Nickal is an all time champ and he's also an ass. They tend to go hand in hand as a requirement of the job.

yeah if it wasn't for the PSU reputation armor and the fact that no one likes valencia he'd be a villain.

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i went back and listened again and agree that it was a little weird (obviously I think the reaction to it is weirder), but there are a lot of things that mitigate the weirdness. 

1) Starocci made a very public display of taking off his brace, so the injury was obviously on forefront of the discussion 2) The comment was prompted by the other announcer asking JB for a comment, which was obviously because starocci had just referenced the OTTs, so he said the first thing that came to mind as a competitor, maybe not smart, but not malicious 3) Burroughs wasn't bragging by implying he might have to play dirty to beat starocci, if anything it was self deprecating 4) Burroughs transitioned to talking about what an amazing career starocci had immediately after the supposedly inflammatory comment, he was trying to get off the subject...

Now there you go bringing facts into this... 😝

• Bob 1

Another things that's glanced over, if you think Bo Nickal and every other PSU wrestler just ignores all their opponents injuries because they think its they're ethical imperative, you are naive beyond comprehension. Bo's outrage is contrived.

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Bob 2

52 minutes ago, boconnell said:

What a pointless answer.  The idea that color commentators are infallible because they are there to provide inside info.  

I rooted for Daton Fix all weekend.  He was there to score takedowns and win matches.  But amazingly that didn't matter to Vito.  He still lost when he did a bad job of scoring takedowns and winning matches.  JB being hired to provide commentary doesn't make everything he says correct.  When he provided inside info during the match about attacking the leg as a strategy, that was him doing his job.  When he immediately made things about him after the match, that wasn't him doing his job.  

Who made it about him?  He was asked his professional opinion and gave it.  You, sir, are grasping at straws.  Nowhere did anyone say JB was infallible.  He was ASKED his opinion and gave it.  He didn't make it about JB, it was DC who made it about JB.  And at what points did we talk about "correct" opinions.  That's just weird, man.

It seems as if #1 You didn't watch the broadcast; #2 You don't understand the role of color commentator; and #3 you think you are infallible.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

He shouldn't have.  He should have kept the focus on the guy who just won his 4th title instead of helping DC drag the focus away into an imagined beef.  I don't blame PSU alum/fans/wrestlers for being bothered by it.  And I rooted against PSU in every match that entire weekend.  But I can't imagine the announcer immediately after the NBA finals conclusion saying that he was going to go after an injury in that summer's olympics.  And if that happened, it would be a huge story and the guy who said it wouldn't be able to blame it on the question that was asked.  JB's ego made it about him, and now people don't like that.  Oh well.  

you all act as if jordan said hes going to snap carter's leg in half and make sure he cant walk ever again. all he said was that if he were wrestling him he would target his shots to the side with a cast on it. THATS IT.

moreover, he didnt say anything any coach in the country wouldnt say to their kid. you guys, just like bo, are making this into something it isnt. 

• Bob 5

3 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

you all act as if jordan said hes going to snap carter's leg in half and make sure he cant walk ever again. all he said was that if he were wrestling him he would target his shots to the side with a cast on it. THATS IT.

moreover, he didnt say anything any coach in the country wouldnt say to their kid. you guys, just like bo, are making this into something it isnt. 

...to the point of weirdness.

Just ignores the actual way the commentary went and has spun his own bizarre narrative.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

I don't think basketball players are known for their toughness so now I get why people are upset if that is their standard.

In football, every time a corner goes down the announcers/former QBs say they would go after the backup.  If a Dlineman doesn't seem 100% they say they would attack that side of the field.  I guess every commenter/QBs who does football games makes it about themselves too according to basketball announcers.

MMA Color guys are consonantly talking about how they would attack a guy.  It is there job, same for JB and DC.

Not to mention that these other sports employee retired athletes as their commentators, not current ones. So to say a commentator would never say they're coming after them like that isn't even relevant as they're done competing. Even still, they offer truthful insight and wouldn't hold back cuz of softies who are jealous of the commentator. 

If anyone is mad at JB they should remember what Starocci wrote before his finals match. Not exactly the nicest words so why is it wrong when Burroughs says he's going to attack him. After all, "this game is a cut throat business."

• Bob 2

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Carter Starocci literally said "this is little kid stuff compared to what I want" and mentioned the Olympic Trials on April 19th and 20th and "on Monday it's back to work. And just like Drake said, there's not friends in this industry."

JB then goes, man, I'll tell you what, he mentioned April 19th and 20th and I know a guy who's gonna be there and I'd love to see him, and best believe I'm going for that leg. He won't disclose the injury but man he's looked great, and on a more serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career.... And lists all of the greats and states he has to be on the mount rushmoore of Penn State. The amount of compliments he gave him were numerous. If you think that is making it about himself, then you are way too damn sensitive. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Carter Starocci literally said "this is little kid stuff compared to what I want" and mentioned the Olympic Trials on April 19th and 20th and "on Monday it's back to work. And just like Drake said, there's not friends in this industry."

JB then goes, man, I'll tell you what, he mentioned April 19th and 20th and I know a guy who's gonna be there and I'd love to see him, and best believe I'm going for that leg. He won't disclose the injury but man he's looked great, and on a more serious note, Carter Starocci has had a phenomenal career.... And lists all of the greats and states he has to be on the mount rushmoore of Penn State. The amount of compliments he gave him were numerous. If you think that is making it about himself, then you are way too damn sensitive. 

Gotta wear these glasses to see it correctly.   You can piss on someone’s grave pre match but cannot discuss normal strategy post match sheesh.   

65BCE114-FAA9-4F4F-9F58-1F4069875B9C.jpeg

• Bob 3
  • Fire 2

35 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Gotta wear these glasses to see it correctly.   You can piss on someone’s grave pre match but cannot discuss normal strategy post match sheesh.   

65BCE114-FAA9-4F4F-9F58-1F4069875B9C.jpeg

Exactly! Saying you are going to piss on someone’s grave is one of the most disrespectful things you can say. Somehow it gets glanced over and what JB said gets all the attention?! I must need those glasses to make it make sense lol

• Bob 2

23 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

No, he hasn't. Nobody has. 

Just bc Flo does a preview of him at that weight doesnt mean hes going that weight. 

Come visit the international forum. They are doing wonderful things over there.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

23 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

I got this list from Flowrestling. Its their most recent set of freestyle rankings. Also, Chance is up to 86kg and currently ranked 4th at the weight. 

They hold more water than you. Sorry. 

Nolf is the only other US wrestler ranked internationally with Dake at 74kg.  Chance is ranked at #11 at 86kg.  But, I agree with your overall points on the matter.  Bo is being over the top

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted