There needs to be a time limit for reviews

The Fix-Vito match lasted almost 30 minutes in real time.  More time was spent by wrestlers standing around waiting than actually wrestling.  Can we start by making a rule that cumulative review time cannot exceed match time (i.e. 7 minutes)?

I wish there could be, but I don't see how they would implement it.  Especially with the possibility of some technical problem with the video or communicating with the third party reviewer.

As a step in the right direction, though, there should be a cost to the coach to throw the brick.  Now, when you have one brick and only one wrestler in the session you might as well throw it, since the worst that happens is that you can't throw it a second time.  I'd like see them get the brick back if the challenge is successful, but lose a team point if it is unsuccessful, similar to football coaches losing a timeout for unsuccessful challenges.  

The review needs to go. Period. There is no reason for any wrestler to have a 10 minute rest. You’re taking conditioning out of the equation not mentioning ruining the flow and intensity of the match the challenge has ruined the sport and needs to go. 

• Bob 3
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Ravishing Rob Koll said:

The review needs to go. Period. There is no reason for any wrestler to have a 10 minute rest. You’re taking conditioning out of the equation not mentioning ruining the flow and intensity of the match the challenge has ruined the sport and needs to go. 

I remember an "ah ha" moment when I first began following my nephews in HS wrestling. One nephew was in a semi against a guy who was just cut. I looked at my skinny nephew and thought, he doesn't stand a chance. In the third with my nephew trailing, his coaches challeneged something or other. I thought my brother-in-law was going to blow a gasket. "We get them with conditioning. What are you doing?", he snapped, almost to himself, as he paced. Later he explained how those big muscles need a lot of oxygen. I get it now.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

I dont understand why these reviews take so damn long, arent the independent reviewers watching the matches as theyre happening? One would think if they were paying attention they would be ready to go with an answer almost immediately. In most matches the commenators usually have a good response on what the result should be within seconds of watching the replay.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Ravishing Rob Koll said:

Thank you. This is my biggest problem with it. Conditioning is literally how most of these guys win and these reviews are taking that important part out of these matches. 

Last night you had two refs unable to make calls and constantly having to go into review. What are we even doing here? 

And why can't there just be a time limit on reviews? We at home can clearly see one or two replays and know the right call. Why do they need 5 minutes? This has to change. 

• Fire 1

There need to be no reviews.  The costs outweigh the benefits. It's literally not the same sport anymore.  A big part of what made wrestling the purest sport was the continuous action.  The 46 minutes between the beginning of 125 and end of 133 were a new low during a long, slow slide.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, dragit said:

There need to be no reviews.  The costs outweigh the benefits. It's literally not the same sport anymore.  A big part of what made wrestling the purest sport was the continuous action.  The 46 minutes between the beginning of 125 and end of 133 were a new low during a long, slow slide.

It's worse to get calls wrong.  Review helps get more calls right.

The problem is that we don't penalize failed reviews.  In FS a failed challenge is a point.  In the NCAA finals you have a bunch of coaches challenging stuff because they have a review left and there is no drawback to not using it.  Make a failed review worth 2 points and guys will stop challenging stuff frivolously.  

I really don’t understand why they take so long. Video technology allows for immediate rewind, fast forward, pause.  Reviewer should not need to study the 20 seconds of activity for 2+ minutes. Be like a ref in the moment.  Was the call clearly wrong?  Say so!! Fast!!  If not, get moving!!!

In particular in the finals they have several views available. I remember one locked hands challenge would not have been visible from the scorers table so they needed something from the other side.

And to whoever asked, you can't challenge a challenge although some coaches creatively find something else to challenge.

I had friends over that are brand new to wrestling to watch the finals last night. They thought the reviews were crazy and said “Isn’t wrestling a sport where conditioning is a huge component of the final outcome?” 

I would be okay with removing reviews altogether. Referee initiated reviews 100% need to go. It breaks up the flow of the match. 

If challenge bricks need to stay, I do like the idea of a failed challenge resulting in an opponents choice or even a 1 point penalty for a failed challenge. 

• Bob 2

The new review process this year was better than what we had.

Does anybody remember the Woods/Alirez match last year?  That review took forever. 

The independent review that goes upstairs is a big improvement and it removes the ref reviewing his own call. 

Time limit should be 90 seconds from the review going to the table. 

The challenge room has 6 or more different vantage points I believe and multiple reviewers. 

It needs minor tweaks.  

Edited by Threadkilla

24 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

The new review process this year was better than what we had.

Does anybody remember the Woods/Alirez match last year?  That review took forever.   

I can't remember the match last year because during the 46 minutes between the beginning of 125 and the end of 133 I made a hypnotist's appointment, drove across town to see him, had him erase all my memories of replays which ruined watching wrestling.  Then I went out to get a bite to eat, drove home, went out to walk the dog, then came home again, then settled back in as they were coming out of commercial to start the 141 final.

• Haha 3
  • Jagger 1

6 minutes ago, dragit said:

I can't remember the match last year because during the 46 minutes between the beginning of 125 and the end of 133 I made a hypnotist's appointment, drove across town to see him, had him erase all my memories of replays which ruined watching wrestling.  Then I went out to get a bite to eat, drove home, went out to walk the dog, then came home again, then settled back in as they were coming out of commercial to start the 141 final.

So you are saying you missed it? Care to elaborate?