Coaching Carousel

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

Gadson posted something about DT to Iowa after the Olympics.

Big, huge doubt there, bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, DT who has a wrestling club, a farm, and has put down major roots around Penn State, building his whole life and career around Pennsylvania and Penn State, has started multiple businesses in Penn State, brought Kyle Dake to Penn State, and has access to more olympians and olympic medals in one room than 5 rooms outside Happy Valley Combined can offer.

To go to Iowa like that, you'd have to be a pretty angry prick.  He hasn't done enough of anything in the direction to justify leaving everything he has built, and everyone who has helped him built it, to just go off and fuel his own ego.  

I could always be proven wrong...but this sounds like some Minnow level bs there.  

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

Yeah, DT who has a wrestling club, a farm, and has put down major roots around Penn State, building his whole life and career around Pennsylvania and Penn State, has started multiple businesses in Penn State, brought Kyle Dake to Penn State, and has access to more olympians and olympic medals in one room than 5 rooms outside Happy Valley Combined can offer.

To go to Iowa like that, you'd have to be a pretty angry prick.  He hasn't done enough of anything in the direction to justify leaving everything he has built, and everyone who has helped him built it, to just go off and fuel his own ego.  

I could always be proven wrong...but this sounds like some Minnow level bs there.  

Nobody thought Cael would leave Iowa State either. 

DT to Iowa makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

but, I would be for it. He would bring in recruits. He would coach a modern style of wrestling. Question is, does he navigate the administrative duties and fundraising? I think so, given his success with his business ventures. 

Still, just a pipe dream

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Gadson posted something about DT to Iowa after the Olympics.

Big, huge doubt there, bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that? Yeah, no way.  I think Kyven is just taunting Iowa fans. 

1 minute ago, Tripnsweep said:

Nobody thought Cael would leave Iowa State either. 

This is very true, but Iowa State wasn't any sort of exceptional foundation.  Cael was just an alien monster who people assumed would stay where he was.  

Cael leaving was more along the lines of Dake leaving Cornell than it would be for DT to leave PSU. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, wrestle87 said:

This is very true, but Iowa State wasn't any sort of exceptional foundation.  Cael was just an alien monster who people assumed would stay where he was.  

Cael leaving was more along the lines of Dake leaving Cornell than it would be for DT to leave PSU. 

Dake left Cornell too. 

Edit: I see what you meant. But honestly I think if Iowa showed him the money he would do it. 

Edited by Tripnsweep

7 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

Dake left Cornell too. 

Edit: I see what you meant. But honestly I think if Iowa showed him the money he would do it. 

You're definitely right...my reaction was entirely subjective because I hope that doesn't happen.

7 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

I’d love to see an Iowa rebrand. The Brands have had their time and it’s reached Zelesky territory. Iowa needs to hire outside the fold and bring in someone innovative. 

How much would it cost them to buy out the Brands' contracts?

32 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Go argue with Gadson?

12 minutes ago, gromit said:

How much would it cost them to buy out the Brands' contracts?

They could just distract them with something bright and shiny. Or tell them Mike Zadick called them names and said they can't read good, then they'd probably run off on foot to find him in Montana. 

• Bob 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

I’d love to see an Iowa rebrand. The Brands have had their time and it’s reached Zelesky territory. Iowa needs to hire outside the fold and bring in someone innovative. 

It would be great to see...the Brands have their job now because there are still people who remember life under Gable, and the brands are basically Dan Gable's spirit in two people, minus the empathy and athlete insight.  

Gable wasn't just a relentless coach, we was tireless in his investigation into his athletes, all about the mind.  Way way way more insightful and thoughtful of a dude than he gets credit for because he was so firey.  I think one of the key distinctions is that Gable really really wanted his athletes to achieve their own goals, he could talk for hours about every guy he coached.

It's the old story of great athletes =/= great coaches.  To be an athlete, you just go do it, it's up to you.  To be a coach, you have to convince, entice, and motivate others to do something, not everyone is great at that.  

I'm not saying the brands aren't great coaches to some of their guys, but it would also be obnoxious to pretend that they live in a house that they built.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

SUNY Brockport Head Wrestling Coach (Full-Time) is now open. DIII near Rochester, NY.

https://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw/en-us/job/496823/head-wrestling-coach-fulltime

On 3/23/2024 at 10:49 PM, Tripnsweep said:

Dake left Cornell too. 

The Iowa State AD was a doofus, Penn State was a sleeping giant, and Penn State also rolled out a Brinks truck. 

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Re laying down roots: Ignoring all of the wrestling advantages, how would you rank the top 10 finishers at NCAAs in terms of livability? 

Related: can the Columbia coach afford to live in the city?

Edited by jackwebster

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Re laying down roots: Ignoring all of the wrestling advantages, how would you rank the top 10 finishers at NCAAs in terms of livability? 

Seems like a question too subjective to answer. Tempe is very different than Ann Arbor which is very different than Raleigh which is very different than Ithaca. I know what I would pick given my background, but others would pick other places for very valid reasons.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

17 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I know what I would pick given my background, but others would pick other places for very valid reasons.

Yeah, it was more of a question for getting to know the other fans a little better.

16 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Yeah, it was more of a question for getting to know the other fans a little better.

I'm from Central New York; my wife is from Tampa. AZ is to far away and Ithaca and Ann Arbor are too cold for my wife. So, Raleigh for me. (And maybe my son, if he chooses not to swim in college.)

• Bob 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

On 3/23/2024 at 11:05 PM, RegularStalling said:

Iowa will NOT win another national title under Brands.